New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zshum
Is Anybody Here?

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  04:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious to see if anyone has heard of this group. Theie sound is amazing with the extensive use of a 12 string and a slide. If you all are into Dave and Tim, you might want to check these guys out.

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  05:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They opened for TR at the house of blues in L.A. I wasn't impressed, but they weren't bad. Maybe because they didn't use the twelve string or slide at all. The songs they played made them sound like a bunch of frat boys. But maybe I should check into them some more.....

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Go to Top of Page

zshum
Is Anybody Here?

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I saw them open for John Mayer, and I was blown awa. Then i saw that they later opened for DMB in Gorge, so I figured they were gaining some popularity.

Go to Top of Page

TRincubsfan
Is Anybody Here?

18 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  9:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah man i asked this a while back but i dont think anyone answerd execpt for one person that said he was going to see him open for tim reynolds, but yeah....i saw him at memphis in may and he was really really good...well i guess thats all.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  4:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbdmb

They opened for TR at the house of blues in L.A. I wasn't impressed, but they weren't bad. Maybe because they didn't use the twelve string or slide at all. The songs they played made them sound like a bunch of frat boys. But maybe I should check into them some more.....

Incidentally, pcbdmb, I think it was TIM that opened for the John Butler Trio at the House Of Blues in LA. I think. I didn't say I know.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  9:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh really? D'OH! Then those guys that played before TIM really did suck. I didn't get to listen to them, though. Too busy talkin' with message board people.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  11:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I remember walking up the stairs beside the stage and looking down on the guy sitting down playing the guitar with his band behind him. So that was after TIM, and it was why he was cut short, remember?

Anywho, it's no big deal, but I don't think they sucked that bad, we just had better things to meet and greet.

Tim Reynolds Downloads
I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot. - Leo Kottke

I hate beating people over the head with anything. We can all make up our own minds. What we don’t have is enough music. More music please. - Leo Kottke
Go to Top of Page

wilson
Is Anybody Here?

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an Aussie, and have been following the John Butler Trio for a while. I'm sure you all know by now that they are an Australian band (I didnt take the time to read too many of the other posts). I have seen them live at several of the music festivals that we have here every year, and I have to say, each and every time they have played they have blown me away. His finger picking is amazing, and if they have ever brought along their friends to any american concerts then you would have had an awesome experience. At one concert they had a girl and guy join them, the girl played some bongos, and the guy played some huge tribal kind of bass drums, along with the rest of the band it gave them an AWESOME sound, and they played the song 'Take' with the extra drums, it was..to say the least...amazing.

Support these guys, they are really great, and they have a political message too, which probably wont touch you unless you know about the hypocricy in the Australian government, and the greed which J.B.T. oppose. I love the band, and hope you guys all can get into them aswell and make them popular over there too. They are really big on the Alternative scene here in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

wilson
Is Anybody Here?

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, damn..I forgot to add that the reason I actually came across this board in the first place, was that I was looking for some guitar tablature to be able to play some of this music. If anyone knows of any good free guitar finger chord tablature sites, or has specifically John Butler Trio music in tablature format, then could you please forward it to me, or point me to the link?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd be willing to check out and support the John Butler Trio, if you are willing to check out and support our own Tim Reynolds.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

wilson
Is Anybody Here?

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  01:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm always happy to be exposed to new music, and if Tim is an artist who really conveys a message with his music, not like alot of the 'produced' crap that's on MTV and the radio now, then I'd be happy to support him, point me to some of his music and I'll check it out, no problems at all :)
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim is definitely NOT into MTV, radio, and that other bullshit. He's into doing music for himself, and his fans, without selling out to do so. And it's cool that you want to check him out...now if only we had our FTP up and running...

Maybe some other people know where you can download some TR stuff...

Adam
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think, if it's the band i'm thinking of is on the bonnaroo double live album. if it is, they are fucking tight! great band, i like em!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

GRock
Try A Little Harder

93 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  4:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GRock's Homepage  Send GRock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This guy uses some crazy tunings. They have most of the tabs and tunings up on their website. http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/. at the top click "educate" and then "learn JBT". the music is just crazy. but i think there are some songs where there just shouldn't be any singing. it can ruin it sometimes. take "trees" for example. other wise total rocking going on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000