Taping Advice.....Please.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is a two part question.

A) Show tapers, the people who go to shows and tape them, whats the best way to tape a show and get a good recording cheap, i want to start taping my shows, when i play somewhere, and i want to know the best way to tape them. But not the most expensive.

B) After i tape a show, and have it on a tape, whats the best way of getting the music from the tape to the computer... to mess with and burn off to CD's.....

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I honestly do not know (big surprise), but I can tell you that LizK would be a good person to ask...she has...I'm not sure..maybe a DAT...no, it's not that..it's just a small little taper that will hook to the soundboard... converting is done with a program that I imagine you can download. I want to say you can get something like that for around 2 or 300...not too sure. Like I said, ask Liz. But there are a bunch of options...did you check out musicians friend yet? There's probably loads of info there...

I am not the albatross of love, I am the human ellipsis. I am dot dot dot.
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A minidisc player might be a good idea. One of my friends has one and it sounds incredible. I think it was some sort of Sony, probably fairly expensive though, couple hundred at least, but that's really very cheap as far as recording equipment goes.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, i'll take that headstart and run with it

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

patzilla
Is Anybody Here?

3 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2002 :  01:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Send patzilla an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suggest using a sports version minidisc recorder for durability (it gets rough sometimes ;> . As far as microphones go, its a balance between cost and quality, although there are a few inexpensive sony mics that get the job done(well). Make sure the mic is a condensor microphone, self powered. I like recording to the computer using audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net). It supports high quality wavs, cubase vst plugins, mp3s using lame (for vbr) and ogg vorbis (open codec, superior to mp3) and it works on most OSs because it is open source. When recording its good to have mini headphones to check your levels, always watch dem levels! When you record close to the main speakers, it bleeds out excessive croud noise. Make sure to use ear plugs not only for safety but it also simulates the effect of a condensor microphone giving you a better interpretation of what the recording will sound like.

Tape everything you hear, it takes a few to get it right and techniques change from genre to genre of music. For the kickass artists like Tim Reynolds that support live recordings make sure to bring extra cables and show respectfull to the sound guys. Dont sell your recordings for profit, trade with fellow tapers ^_^ Try to send a copy to the artist if ya can.
Have fun with it!

Patzilla
Go to Top of Page

SurferX
Chatterbox

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2002 :  2:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SurferX's Homepage  Send SurferX an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would recomend not buying a MD recorder. MDs use a very lossy form of compression. I would totally recomend buying a DAT recorder. You can get the Sony D7, D8 or the D100 on EBay for really cheap (well, compared to the $800+ list price for each).

For more info on taping and whatnot, infamous DMB taper Allan Chen has a great web site with lots of info for beginners. Here's a link...

http://www.kaiyen.com/trading/index.html

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
AIM:SurfFilez27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000