New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Tim plays it, because I've read it in the BTCS booklet. Special Guest: Tim Reynolds, Guitars, Mandolin, etc.

So I've got some questions for Fluffy! Hopefully you can answer them.
Does he play the mandolin often? If so, do you know what kind he has? Does he like it? And is there any chance I will go to a Tim show and see a Mandolin on Stage.

That would make me so happy! I love the Mandolin!

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  03:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I doubt he has picked up a mandolin since I have known him. I don't think he even has one. I have never seen one in the studio. AS for seeing one onstage, maybe when he goes back to playing acoustic you might, but I am 99.999999999999999999% sure you won't be seeing one while he is in his electric phase. It think he is content with the form his expression has taken at the moment and the mandolin really doesn't figure in. Sorry, maybe someday we will see him drag it out again.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  03:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere along the line, I remember reading, or maybe hearing from you or tim himself that he sold his mandolin??

Hey Arth, If you havent already, I highly suggest you pick up the Transmigration CD. TR plays a lot of mansolin on that disc and it sounds amazing!

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  03:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.timreynolds.com/discography/transmigration.html

Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  11:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn.

I was hoping, and praying, that I could see the strings virtuoso play on the mandolin. Oh well,
I've been looking for that CD is it in stores, or do I have to order via internet?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn dont give up that easy, He just said he sold, im fairly sure can afford a new one when he wants to dive into it again, lol

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  12:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah good point.

I'll hold out all hope, for tim to pick up that beautiful 8-string instrument. Sigh... I love the mandolin.

PLEase Tim, hear my Weak plea. I will, um, I don't know what I'll do but I'll do it, if you play a song on the mandolin.

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You can get Transmigration thru Amazon.com:

TRANSMIGRATION on Amazon.com

Or you can visit our Merchandise page where there is also a link to it:

http://www.timreynolds.com/merchandise/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  06:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, the Amazon page has some on sale for $8.99. That might be your best deal. Check it out!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  11:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA HA HA!
I looked at your post and fluffy and I thought you meant they were selling Mandolins for 8.99.

Wow. That is a good deal for that CD. Thanks guys!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  5:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You should hear tim's violin playing on Transmigration, especially on the tune "Old Nick's Jig." That song is really amazing.

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2002 :  11:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I myself play the mandolin and i find it odd that a number of u can slander the Telecaster that Tim plays and country music in the All of Tims's Guitars thread and then in this one advocate and inquire about the use of and or TIM'S use of the mandolin. I mean the fact is that Tim is just not the kind of guy that would close the door on a type of music let alone an instrument, I KNOW, I TOOK LESSONS FROM HIM! I just dont like to see people close their minds to things, it disturbs me, i know that Tim doesnt think that way. Tim is about diversity. Like I explained in my post about my experiences with him he is the kind of person that doesnt believe in being limited in musical style and he passed that idea on to me and THAT IS HOW U BECOME A GOOD MUSICIAN!!! U WANNA KNOW? THERE IT IS! It took me a while to embrace the fact that MUSIC IS MUSIC BEATS ARE BEATS AND RHYTHMS ARE RHYTHMS but once i did i realized there was no place for labels in this quest for PURE EXPRESSION!!!!

my websites are as follows, please check them out:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/402/subconscious_social_experi.html
http://subconscious_soc_exp.tripod.com
signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  12:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me again, i just now read in the post that several members of Secrets (Carter Beauford's old band prior to DMB) are now associated with Trisha Yearwood and Clint Black and isnt that funny doesnt that confirm my entire point??????? SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!!!!! LOL WHATS THE MATTER WITH U PEOPLE??????

signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  12:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is a direct quote from the thread called "back in the day" (see the list to read all of it) but this just proves how musically closed minded u all are compared to ur heroes!!!!!!

"One night, probably in 1987, TR3 brought a Richmond-based band named Secrets with them to play a set. I quickly became a Secrets fanatic, hearing them play their unique jazz/fusion in many venues throughout Virginia. Tim would sometimes sit in with them along with trumpeter John D'earth and other great local musicians. I was really bummed when their drummer left Secrets and ended up with another new Charlottesville band. I thought he'd made a big mistake, little did I know. But Carter Beauford has done pretty well with the Dave Matthews Band since then. Secrets broke up a few years later but keyboardist Butch Taylor from Secrets is currently touring with DMB now. Keith Horn is one of the finest bass players in Nashville (last I heard he was with Trisha Yearwood), Dane Bryant became the keyboardist for Clint Black."

signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  02:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
i find it odd that a number of u can slander the Telecaster that Tim plays and country music .. and then .. advocate and inquire about the use of and or TIM'S use of the mandolin.
If you'd understand what we said, it was that the Tele sound too "Hee-haw" for our tastes. We did not say that Hee-Haw (the show) was full of crappy musicians. Take for example bluegrass musicians. Now, I'd say that many of them are simply amazing on their instruments, whatever their instrument is. But I do not go out of my way to like them. Are we not allowed to have personal preferences?

quote:
I KNOW, I TOOK LESSONS FROM HIM!
I'm glad I wasn't one of the ones that made the mistake of asking for your opinion.

quote:
he is the kind of person that doesnt believe in being limited in musical style
That he may be. That has nothing to do with me not liking the Tele. If that's even your point. I'm not sure anymore.

quote:
isnt that funny doesnt that confirm my entire point?
Yes it does. Wait...what was your point? That we are all idiots? Oh, you're right, it sure does.

quote:
this just proves how musically closed minded u all are compared to ur heroes
Yes, it sure does. Yep, you are right, because you took guitar lessons from TIM Reynolds.

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  03:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ok.

im officialy fucking confused.

there seems to be some cut and paste action going between these two threads, and there seems to be tension. I would now like to quote some random black guy who was at my school on Wed, "We dont player hate, we participate". My point is, i have no fucking idea whats going on, but its getting a little too stuffy here for my liking.

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com

Stay Tuned For The New Tim Site....
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  04:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What's going on? Was Andrew insulting us or was Jason overreacting?

Turn it into Love

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  11:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I dunno...maybe he wasn't intending to be insulting...maybe I just took something he said the wrong way. I guess I was in a bad mood last night, even tho I didn't really know it.

But if I'm wrong in what I said, I'll gladly apologize to Andrew or anyone else here. What I said was in an inquisitive tone, not an angry.

Oh, and there's no cut and paste between the threads. All those quotes came from this one, and vice versa.

Maybe I should just delete those posts...delete the one time I actually have an opinion about something...

Erich with an h
Yak Addict

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Erich with an h's Homepage  Send Erich with an h an AOL message  Reply with Quote
nah, its cool Jason. and i meant cut and paste cause i saw Andrews posts in both threads. Im just confused as well. anyway, everything will be sorted out and we'll all be happy

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com

Stay Tuned For The New Tim Site....
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  4:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
alright look im sorry im not here to start trouble and i myself was in a bad mood, it just struck me funny that in one post i saw someone BASHING the Telecaster for the fact that it has a country music history, and then in the next thread i see a group of people speaking FAVORABLY about the MANDOLIN BECAUSE TIM PLAYS IT, which is a largely country and bluegrass instrument ok . Then in still another thread i read about the fact that CARTER'S OLD BANDMATES NOW PLAY WITH A COUPLE DIFFERENT COUNTRY MUSICIANS. So i just felt like there was an element of hypocrisy here and i wanted to say something about it. Personal tastes arent personal tastes when one person agrees with another just to fit in. Im not that kind of person im sorry i never have been, i speak my mind no matter whether agreed with or not.

signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  06:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to point out that up to a certain point in this thread the people commenting on the mandolin are not even the same people who were "bashing" the tele, so I think that different people will obviously see if diffently. The folks talking about the mandolin were not the same folks that were supposedly dissing the tele. So it is easy for me to see how the comments in one thread would not necessarily coincide with the comments in the other thread. Just thought I would point this out. Check the names of the people you think are bashing the tele and then check the comments about the mandolin and you will see that there could easily be 2 points of view on the same board by different groups of people. I realize that now the others have started chiming in, but if I went and found all the "elements of hypocrisy" on this board the total would be staggering. Keep in mind for it to be real hypocrisy, the opposite comments need to be made by the same person. Noone on the board speaks for everyone or for the board as a whole. So comments by one person may not seem to coincide with comments by another person. All the comments here are personal opinions and should be treated as such. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know plenty of guitar players who won't play a particular instrument because of the history of an instrument or just because of the way it looks. The Flying V is a perfect example. GREAT GUITAR but most people think it says "80's Metal" and for that reason alone will not play it. Silly as it may be everyone has there own personal reasons and tastes. When you say a guitar looks to HEE HAW for your personal taste all that means is you see the instrument as a fave of country musicians and you would not like to associate yourself with an instrument of ilk. Maybe you would rather have an SG since it is way more rock and roll looking. Just because you don't like the look of a tele or the message it sends does not mean you cannot still like the mandolin even if when you play you don't want to play an instrument you think of as a country looking guitar. I understand your points Andrew, but I think you are reading way more into the comments than was necessarily intended. I don't think anyone was saying they HATE country music and then turning around asking why TR doesn't play the mandolin anymore, a traditionally country/bluegrass instrument. I think they were just saying that a tele doesn't necessarily fit their image based on how they see a tele. Everyones perception is different. Younger folks may not be as versed in CMT or in those lovely power punk pop bands. Whatever their reason for not liking it is just as valid to them as your reason for liking it is to you. It's kind of like saying, I hate cowboy hats and I would never where one cause they make me look to hick, and then turn around and play a mandolin. Just because you don't want to look like a hick doesn't mean you don't like country music or respect the musicianship. That does not mean that their assessment is accurate but if that is the way they feel, that is the way they feel. It sounds to me like they were just saying they really don't like the way it looks because of it's association with country music. I don't think anyone was saying they hate country music and then turned around and asked about the mandolin. I am rambling again and I think I am only clouding the issue. Hopefully you can all go back and reread it all and see what I am talking about. It was pretty obvious to me when I read the posts in question. OH WELL, WHATEVER, NEVERMIND!!

OH YES, and have one on me and relax............

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I couldn't give a shit what a guitar's history is, or if it is mostly used in bluegrass, blues, jazz, rock, etc... or what it looks like. If it sounds good, if you're searching for a sound, and the cheapest, most crappy looking guitar is the one that has that sound, I'd say play it. Who cares what people say about the look of the guitar.
I play a Gibson Chet Atkins SST, because I can use effects with it without having to worry about feedback, etc... and people that know Dave Matthews used to have that guitar immediately think I'm trying to rip him off. John Mayer rips off Dave and he has a Martin D-35!!

I play a Chet, but I mostly rip off David GRAY not David Matthews

But for me, the sound of a guitar outweighs just about anything else about that guitar, except maybe the price.....

Also, to the observer that was just reading this post and hadn't read any other posts yet, it appeared that Andrew was arguing with himself for the first few posts.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  5:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um... As the orignal poster of this thread.....

I've never bashed the Telecaster. I've never bashed country music. I think some of the lyrics and music within Country music are a lot better than most of the other crap that's on the radios. And I love Johnny Cash, Merele Haggard, Garth Brooks (to a lesser Extent), so country is fine with me. So if someone was "bashing" something in another thread, that's where you should've commented on it.

Oh! And I'm getting a banjo in November!

-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  5:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as per what Fluffy said,

"No one on the board speaks for everyone or for the board as a whole"

Thank goodness cause some of you guys get weird! Heh.

A new quote!

"We are all Ass-Clowns in the Circus of Life"
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  7:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh! And I'm getting a banjo in November!

You lucky bastard! I want a banjo!........I think my plan is that after I feel comfortable with the guitar, I'm gonna buy a violin and learn that......and once I feel comfortable with that instrument, I'll get a banjo. Hopefully, I get a violin (electric preferably) in the next few weeks.....but the cheapest electric on that I've been able to find was for like $300.

"Always follow your heart, but use your brain." - My dad
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Arthen, I don't think anyone was attacking you, especially not me. I was just trying to point out that YOU had asked about the country/bluegrass instrument in question(mandolin) and had not been the one who made the comments about the tele so I did not see the hypocrisy that Andrew was commenting on. I was just pointing out that the comments were made by different people. As for your comments guitarguy, I agree with you, but you must remember alot of people do want a guitar that looks kewl and for alot of people the image they portray onstage is very important. I agree you should use the kind of guitar that is most conducive to the sound you want to achieve and the look shouldn't be that important. I do understand though how someone who thinks of the tele as a "country" instrument might not want to use one in their hands if they have that perception of the instrument. Whether that perception is right or wrong is really irrelevant. Again it comes down to personal choices and what you are comfortable with and what you like. So even though I don't agree with the comments lodged against the tele, I will defend peoples right to feel that way about the instrument. Everyones opinions are just that, their opinions. Different strokes for different folks. To each his own. I think I have used enuf cliches for one post. HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  12:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just firmly believe in having an open mind Fluffy and i was trying to be able to pass on this concept of an open mind but i wasnt intending on condemning anyones personal taste because yes it truly is a matter of personal taste. I also wanted to comment in agreement with the person that said that the group of people that were making the mandolin comments and the group of people who were negatively commenting on the telecster were DEFINITELY TWO GROUPS of people and i that was for sure a discrepency in my post when when i first commented on it. Overall i think weve reached a point on this topic where closure is in order because we are all happy and understand each others point of view. I also want to add that i have found that Fluff makes a fine mediator and there hasnt been a single post i have read where he said that i would take exception with and u may see that as sucking up but GOD AS MY WITNESS I MEAN THAT (i aint gettin paid to say that!! LOL!!). He has an extraordinary ability to comprehend things and an ability to be impartial about the way he does that and then he can communicate his thoughts with EQUALLY THOROUGH COMPETENCY!!! Thats truly rare indeed!

signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  03:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the kind words Andrew. I do what I can. Believe me, there have been some tuff ones in the past to weather. HEHE I even showed MY BAD SIDE once or twice. Sometimes things get a little heated but we are all friends here, so we are pretty forgiving. One of the great things about our little community here is our freedom to say whatever we want, and bounce ideas and concepts off others who may not share the same view. It is very much like a debate forum sometimes. I think that is a good thing. Bouncing ideas off people who don't share the same views or ideas can sometimes help you see things from another perspective. You won't necessarily change your views, but it helps you to understand others and their views and reasons. An open exchange of ideas. As we all know, TONE is very hard to convey in type, so sometimes some answers may seem like attacks when they are just the next guy giving his views. Don't take anything to personally, as I speak from experience, they generally aren't offered as serious attacks. I like to have as many viewpoints on a matter before I decide where I fall. I won't necessarily agree with all that are offered up, but I appreciate the input as it helps me to figure out my position. That is always easier with more input. I also feel like I have a clearer picture, and feel better about my knowledge on the subject and more confident of my feelings and convictions when I have had more input. Seems I am rambling again, THANX for the kind words and contributing to our board. It is nice to have a new contributing member. One more perspective cannot be a bad thing.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Craig
Is Anybody Here?

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Craig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AMEN BROTHER!

signed,
Andrew Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page