The Onion hits a home run!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  08:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This time they hit it right out of the park. Did anyone hear about this. I would have posted it sooner, but as you know I haven't been around. It is really quite amusing. I know we have some Onion fans here.

Friday, June 7, 2002
Beijing paper falls for gag in American tabloid

BEIJING, June 7 (Reuters) - Beijing's most popular newspaper has unwittingly republished a bogus story about U.S. Congress threats to skip town for Memphis or Charlotte unless Washington builds them a new Capitol building with a retractable dome.

The source? America's celebrated spoof tabloid, the Onion.
The Beijing Evening News, which claims a circulation of 1.25 million,
translated portions of the Onion's tall tale word-for-word in the
international news page of its June 3 edition. The reprinted version of the May 29 article, which parodies Congress as a Major League Baseball squad, also copied the Onion's would-be blueprint for
a new legislative home that resembles a ballpark. "Don't get us wrong: We love the drafty old building," the Onion jestingly
quoted House Speaker Dennis Hastert saying. "But the hard reality is, it's no longer suitable for a world-class legislative branch. The sight lines are bad, there aren't enough concession stands or bathrooms, and the parking is miserable."

The spoof from the brazen entertainment tabloid, which dubs itself
"America's finest news source," apparently took in the Evening News.
"The story was written by one of our freelance writers," an editor at the Evening News told Reuters on Friday. "His stuff has been pretty much reliable before." The editor said he had received other calls from readers about the article. "They were also suspicious of the contents." Told the story came from the Onion and was not true, the editor said, "We would first have to check that out. If it's indeed fake, I'm sure there will be some form of correction."

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading the Onion for like 5 or 6 years now...no better (fake) journalism. Did you see the article they thought was true? It was ridiculous...they even included a diagram of what they wanted the new building to look like. Lemme see if I can find the link

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is some seriously funny stuff... that is some great investigative journalism there.

"And where did you get this information?"
"The onion, sir."
"Good job. Let's print it!"

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  12:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
http://www.theonion.com/onion3820/congress_threatens.html

Also, the picture from the onion article was INCLUDED in the Beijing newspaper!

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  8:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"How many times can you put a fresh coat of paint over an old, broken-down horse?"

What the hell does that mean?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  8:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How many times can you put a fresh coat of paint over an old, broken-down horse?

twice..... i mean... thr....err......on....um..f........ false.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  2:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OR did you mean:

"How many TIMes can you put a fresh coat of paint on an old, broken-down, whore?"

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  12:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Onion sounds cool, what exactly is it and where can I check it all out?

Using the Force Daily
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  12:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I posted on his name again

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  03:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
www.theonion.com

It's basically the written equivalent of the Daily Show.

Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  11:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  03:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problemo!

My favorite part is still the Point-Counterpoint forum.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  02:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There was another hysterical Onion story I posted a while back about ICP. Check it out:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1535

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000