Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  2:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't waste your time. When you try and talk music with someone who doesn't play, you get someone that doesn't know what they're talking about acting like they do. I once had a friend walk in my room, who claims to be totally into music, while TR was playing and asked, "Is that good?" He was referring to his guitar playing. I just thought to myself... if you have to ask.....

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  2:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ever
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  5:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i think joe satriani's band isnt so great. but he has great talent, and is a very good soloist...... wait i cant say that.... i think he sucks.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  5:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As much as I hate responding to idiots....i had to...

And yeah, Satriani's got chops...but he's like a typewriter, he needs to learn phrasing...but what he does sells i guess...

"Get up an move... or I'll put a curse on you... that all your children will be born naked." – Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  5:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I stopped after the first page... figured it was going to be more of the same. Guess I'll read the rest now.

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
intolorable.

get in the car, little girl.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like I said before... I don't think musicians can really talk music with those that don't play, and I mean REALLY play. I think all this subjective talk is partially ok, but it's grossly overestimated. It is VERY possible to state that one musician is better than another. What you have run into there is exactly what I was saying before though... you've got people that claim to be musical gurus spouting off names like they honestly know what they're talking about, but they don't. I mean jesus fucking christ... comparing Chuck Panazo of Styx 'fame' to Carter is on a plane of insanity that I cannot comprehend. They don't know the difference that you kept trying to explain to them, being that there can be a difference between what you like, and what is amazing on a given instrument. That would be like if someone liked my music more than TR's and therefore equated me to being a better guitarist... in that case it would be perfectly possible to have an opinion that is dead WRONG. Which is again why I originally said don't bother. They don't realize that they don't know shit, therefore they think they are on the same page as you but they're not... and that discrepancy is frustrating, to say the least. It would be like if you died, spoke to god, and he told you there wasn't a hell... and then you came back and got into a discussion about heaven/hell with a Southern Baptist. They would never cave because they think they have such a strong bead on things. Same thing here... these people are morons, you aren't... and even though you've made it painfully obvious that you are a leg up on them, they just don't get it. I say let them be in their own world and hope they slit their wrists before they become too much of a burden on society.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Xar666
Yak Addict

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  7:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
although
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  7:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Word Silky. I used to think all Jazz sounded the same before I started playing it and now I know better. It's all about perspective.

"Get up an move... or I'll put a curse on you... that all your children will be born naked." – Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

MoonHawk
Is Anybody Here?

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  8:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guns to the ones who know!!!!!!!!

Not to touch the earth
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  8:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Silky. Also a problem is that a lot of people there probably don't even know what they're talking aboot... that is they really haven't even heard the music. So even if they were a musician they still wouldn't have a clue. I don't have a problem with anyone that doesn't like DMB, just don't back up your beliefs with things that simply aren't true. Go ahead and say you don't like his voice or that so much drumming is just too much or whatever, but three chords?!?!? Give me a break.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  9:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those guys sure can be assholes......but look on the bright side......they are definetely more compassionate about other people's ideas than nancies (but then again....that's not saying much).

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000