Soloing Help !!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sonny
Is Anybody Here?

12 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  5:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help playing my solos! In my band, I find myself playing a lot of tunes (covers) in the key of E minor / G major. When i comes to solo-time, i find myself using the same old "E- minor pentatonic scale" up and down on the 12th fret. What else can I do? I am sick of that same old pattern:

X | | | X X
| | | | | |

I end up playing up and down this same old pattern....... any suggestions. This is about the only scale i know. What are some others i can play that would work? Any suggestions are helpful.

sonny
sonny@treefrogband.com

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
G maj scale. G mixo might be good... depending the song. E harm minor might be good to. depends on the song obviously.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well when I play solo's I make them up on the spot . All I do is I find all the notes that could fit and then I just play them at random and when you feel like tweeking a note do it and when you feel like playing hella fast you can bust that out up and down the neck ! Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2002 :  1:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ed Zachary. Some of the best soloists I know can't really name the key of a song right on the spot. They watch the notes played, and then basically turn that into a solo. It is very valuable to know the scales and all that shit, but do you really think that an improv. guitar player is gonna go, " Okay guys, key of e minor, scale f sharp major pentatonic minorities souped up chicken dinner with the mashed potato french fries sprinkled on top?" Of course not!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  6:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've heard Steve Vai do that once. He was telling all the people what key to play in, and they went off and jammed. Of course, that's not a typical way to play a song.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2002 :  7:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's probably a good reason why Steve Vai sounds lifeless when he plays... in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2002 :  3:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his either. Just that one part completely turned me off, I hate band leaders that are too controlling, and that's a little too much for me.

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  02:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
but do you really think that an improv. guitar player is gonna go, " Okay guys, key of e minor, scale f sharp major pentatonic minorities souped up chicken dinner with the mashed potato french fries sprinkled on top?" Of course not!

actually they do that quite often. Expecially in improv or jamming sessions. Standard blues in F, watch for the ending... or sumthing like that. it happens all the time. Happnes alot in jazz to, there are like 12 or so jazz 'standards' that are really somethin like 100 songs, in that its the same (or nearly) chord progressoins, just different keys or melody. And jazz players will change keys on the spot sometimes and solo over that... so it does help alot to be able to know what scacle to solo with.

quote:
Well when I play solo's I make them up on the spot . All I do is I find all the notes that could fit and then I just play them at random and when you feel like tweeking a note do it and when you feel like playing hella fast you can bust that out up and down the neck !

im sure if u look at the notes you play it is some sort of scale. not just random notes.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  04:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

im sure if u look at the notes you play it is some sort of scale. not just random notes.

No way........I do the same thing, and if it's anything, it's a random scale.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Chatterbox

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2002 :  11:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Dave S an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think what Jude was getting at is that if you videotaped yourself playing a solo, and then figured out exactly what "random" notes you played, they would make up for the most part a standard scale or chord, even if it is a modal scale.

If you plan on improvising with a group of musicians and not just by yourself, you NEED to know all of your scales/chords whatever for the instrument that you play. it is simply the language that music is spoken in. If someone calls Cherokee in Db and you stick to the main notes that sound good, you are going to sound like an amature to a trained ear...the chords are going by very quickly, and you will not have to time to pick out the right note by ear. And believe it or not, practicing your scales and chords slowly and diligently will bring creativity to your playing, as you don't have to think at all about what your fingers have to do, and you can then be creative with it and go where your emotions take you. Of course, I say this as a sax player but I'm convinced that it all carries over to the guitar.

All TIM all the TIMe!
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2002 :  12:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
werd, that is waht i was saying. dont know if i explained it clearly but dave got my back.

quote:
Cherokee in Db

heh i had to analyse that song the other night. crazy.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2002 :  8:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember reading somewhere (might have been in the Live at Luther College) where TIM said that he doesn't like to use scales because whenever he wants to solo, he ends up just doing a scale. But of course, I can definitely see certain advantages to learning them.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  02:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they certainly build up your speed and overall agilit---DAMMIT SANDY CARL!!!!!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  12:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tim goes in and out of Scale use in his playing... during one lead even usually.

Dammit SANDY!

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

VaiMalmsteenism
Is Anybody Here?

1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  03:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's probably a good reason why Steve Vai sounds lifeless when he plays... in my opinion.

I like Tim Reynolds. In fact, the two players that I enjoy the most are tim reynolds and steve vai...along with malmsteen , lynch, satriani, and countless others. However, when you compare Reynolds to Vai, Vai is obvioulsy better. The guy played like 10 hours a day and went to Berklee. He can play anything flawlessly. Tim is a beginner compared to him. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy tim's playing...I just had to defend steve's playing because of that comment.
Go to Top of Page

tim~and~dave
Chatterbox

112 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for educating us

I'm going to give this "punctuation" thing a chance. How am I doing?
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  12:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ah....so we bring another lurker out of the shadows to post once and never be heard from again. I respect your opinion, but Tim's versatility and pure passion and soul that you can actually FEEL through the music makes him superior to ANY other player that I know IMHO. And Tim does NOT do one thing that some of those other players do. Tapping. I don't know why but I really do NOT like tapping solos.

If you're going to play fast, just play fast damn it.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  1:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Jude
actually they do that quite often. Expecially in improv or jamming sessions. Standard blues in F, watch for the ending... or sumthing like that. it happens all the time. Happnes alot in jazz to, there are like 12 or so jazz 'standards' that are really somethin like 100 songs, in that its the same (or nearly) chord progressoins, just different keys or melody. And jazz players will change keys on the spot sometimes and solo over that... so it does help alot to be able to know what scacle to solo with.

"Okay guys this is a blues riff in B. Watch me for the changes and try to keep up, okay?"

Movie reference anyone???

Adam
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Back to the Future, Johnny B. Good.

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The problem I run into is this. I can play moderately fast, and I know my Major, Minor, Pentatonic, and Blues scales. I'm getting into learning modes also, but every time I solo off the handle, just improv, it always winds up sounding bluesy or jazzy. This is decent, because I play mostly with softer acoustic based people, and most of the solos are soft and slow, but I want to be able to rip it up a bit too, you know?

Any pointers on how I can compose some kickass solos? Should I concentrate more on learning my modes?

Adam
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually tim taps alot, or he at least did. He doesn't do the whole Van Halen tapping solo thing, but you can hear him do it on Gossip of the Neurons era stuff. There is definately a certain timbre with different tappng techniques on an acoustic.

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i noticed on the DVD that he taps the intro to Skeleton Walls. But yeah, its not lame ass Van Halen-esque tapping. Not that Van Halen is lame, his tapping is awe inspiring in moderation, but most "tappers" as i call them turn me off.

But for the most part, I'm sure Tim does not tap. I mean some of those runs he does are just fucking amazing, and hes not tapping them.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  7:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Whenever I've heard him tap it was usually during a quiet, more mellow part. You can do some really cool two hand bends and pulloffs in conjunction with volume swells when you tap. I like tapping when it's used from a more musical approach than a balls-to-the-wall guitar approach. Michael Hedges is definately a good example; his solo guitar stuff is really good.

your words burn the air like the names of candy bars
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of tappers, has anyone seen the G3 video where steve vai does this badass tap part at the outro to some song. it's just a wall of sounds, and a flurry of notes, freaking out of this world. i can't even tell that he's doing a coherent scale or anything, but it sounds great!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

Arthen
Alien Abductee

USA
4845 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  05:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Vic Wooten's tapping. He does it very well and musically in my opinion, not in the "Jock/Cock Rock" fashion.

Steve Hackett: "I'm my own opening act, you see."
Tim (before "Faceoff"): "Peace, love....and SEX!"
cbenc41@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000