jerry jones sitar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2002 :  03:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone in this fourm have this? can ya tell me the pros and cons of the sitar?

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pro: It's one of the coolest instruments around

Con: It takes fifty years to learn.

Pro: it puts you in a trance when you play it

Con: The music notation makes no sense a'tall

That's all i cna say. If you want to get into it, by all means do, just beware that if you do, you'll have to drop guitar for a while and dedicate all your music time to playing sitar. Ravi Shankar dedicated his life to it, and that's why he's so good.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hehe its not an actual sitar. the jerry jones sitar is a guitar with a buzz bridge to make a sitar-ish sound. plus it has 13 strings that resonate. it has a guitar body,but a little bit odd shape. check out the picks at www.jerryjonesguitars.com
its not as difficult as a real sitar either,those wankers from the band KORN have used it,if they can figure it out it cant be to hard.

Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  2:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/Master%20sitar.htm

try this link

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  03:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I looked at that instrument...

How do you play that? Looks like it has two wholly different sets of strings.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  3:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well......guessing from what ngetal said.......It sounds like the other strings resonate when you play the ones on the fretboard. Kind of like sliding up on one string and having another one start ringing....but on a grander scale.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  3:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So one wouldn't actually play the shorter strings? Ok, then what about it would make it so hard to play ("Con: It takes fifty years to learn.").

-what-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  3:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think Jay was talking about learning to play an actual sitar.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, an actual sitar is different? I guess that makes sense.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  4:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this thing is played like a guitar,and the shorter string resonate as you play,you dont have to touch the short strings. plus it has a special bridge to make the twangy sounds of a real sitar. its pretty much just a real odd guitar.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  5:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
See?! I was right!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  7:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To play an actual sitar, the sympathetic stirngs are set behind the six or seven playing strings. HTe sympathetic strings are played with the thumb and middle finger, while the playing strings are plucked with teh pointer. So you accaully play the sympathetics on an actual sitar.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ooohhhh.....I feel bad for those sympathetic strings.........OK....that was a bad joke....but I don't here you making any!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2002 :  11:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i AM a joke.......

Jay
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2002 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Touche!

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it definitely isn't a sitar, but damn what a cool guitar! I want one! They do make pedals that give you a sitar effect right... anybody got any info? e.g., Bela Fleck's banjo on the Flecktones song, "Shanti". Kneet stuff.

Go to Top of Page

ngetal
Is Anybody Here?

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  4:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ngetal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
danelectro has a sitar pedal,it blows tho.
boss has a twin pedal that has a sitar sound(plus square,saw,and other neat sounds) i havent heard it yet,but its boss,so its prolly great.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2002 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

e.g., Bela Fleck's banjo on the Flecktones song, "Shanti". Kneet stuff.

Actually, I think I remember reading somewhere in the flap of the CD case, that he plays a strange sitar-banjo, or something like that......then again, it could have said that he used an effect and I just read it wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  02:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Um..Sitar banjo? SWEET! Sandy Carl plays one, he does...

Jay
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  02:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jay.............lay off the Sandy Carl!!!!

Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  10:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen the Flecktones play that song live and he gets that same sound with his usual "cosmic hippo" banjo.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2002 :  11:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i think if you put your heart into it, learning anything, you'll do it, just a matter of getting it, and getting into it.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000