Breaking Guitar Picks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ginohassideburns
Try A Little Harder

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  5:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Ginohassideburns an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was playing my Guitar the other day and my Pick broke in half from strumming! can you believe this? Can anyone suggest any sturdy good picks?

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  01:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that must've been a pretty big surprise. I've never experienced that myself.
I really hate it when a string snaps though...that's the worst feeling ever. It's like shock to anger to depression all within a few seconds.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  01:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I used to have that happen when I used Fender picks... try Dunlop Tortex picks though. I've been using them for about 4 years now and have never had one break.
-J

Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  03:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, get those grey nylon guys with the grips, either snarling dog brain picks, or dunlop. I personally like snarling dog, look them up on ebay. Better grip.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  9:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Are the Brain picks youre talking about the ones with the sandpaper like texture, so they stay in your hand better? Those are sweet.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

sleight121
Is Anybody Here?

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Send sleight121 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yea fender picks break so easy. I dont even try using their thin picks i go through a brand new one in about 5 minutes :/

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i've only broke one pick, and that was during a show.

get in the car, little girl.
Go to Top of Page

mgodinez
Is Anybody Here?

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  8:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always been a fan of goin' pickless myself. i.e. mark knoffler, andrew winn. Although there are some interesting textures that can be generated w/ a pick...especially on the electric. But then again...I try to play bass, so I try and go pickless anyway. Not that there aren't kick ass pick bass players...i.e. Paul Hinklin. Well...w/ that said.

mgodinez
sunny...

Seattle, Wa
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  11:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When i fingerpick ( KJP, TR, Gordon Lightfoot, Kottke) and then go to strumming with a pick ( DMB, Gordon Lightfoot, Dylan, etc...) it just isn't that much fun anymore. It's not challenging jsut to strum. Flatpicking ( as opposed to strumming) is difficult. Shit, just look at Doc Watson! One great flatpicker is Terry Clements, Gordon Lightfoot's lead guitarist. He can play songs with added basslines, very intricate riffs, plus tremolo strumming all with a Martin .73 (My prefrence) flatpick.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  12:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Those picks that Silky uses are good .... ummm I use Clayton .63mm with my D-35 and I have tried all of the brands and Clayton is a really good brand . The only two picks I would buy is Dunlop and Clayton ! Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Also another type of picking is ...... i forgot whats it's called but it's not that hard ..... when you fingure pick and pick ( with your pick ) at the same time ! Whats that called ....power strumming ???I forgot anways learn how to do that !! It's tight ....the woman like it !!! Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  1:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Travis Picking?

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000