Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 A New Album from RUSH!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  06:10:15 AM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HOLY HELL! I was walking through Best Buy this past weekend while my roomate was buying a new camera and I noticed that RUSH has a new album called Vapor Trails. My brother is a huge fan of Rush so I grew up listening to them, and they are one of my favorite classic rock bands. Well since I was so curious as to what their new stuff sounded like, I bought the cd and I'm very impressed. It is a lot harder than their previous stuff which is cool, because they are staying with the times, and I imagine they are pretty old now. But the drummer is still completely insane! Th first song on the cd starts with him going nuts. Definately check it out if you liked these guys in the 80s.

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy the music but hate the vocals. Much like Primus. What lesson have I learned? Bass players shouldn't sing lead. Unless they're Sting I guess...

"Women and rhythm section first."
Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  1:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree, i love Geddy Lee's voice. I can only take soo much of it and I could never take their music serious because of it, but his voice still makes me happy. Rush is good shit.

Isaac
----------------------------------------

"The dark side I sense in you"
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, tomatoes tomahtoes.... I just don't like any of the 80's metal high pitched vocals...it's not my bag.

Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  02:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love Sting Rush and Primus

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2002 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I enjoy the music but hate the vocals.

So true! Actually I don't really even like the music. I hate rush with a passion. Sorry.

quote:

Bass players shouldn't sing lead. Unless they're Sting I guess...

I really have to disagree with you there... Pink Floyd, Sublime, Sloan(Canadian band, wouldn't expect any of you to know them, but they're great), and I'm sure there's more, just can't think.

Interesting thing...My dad used to organize dances in his 20s and he has a signed contract with Rush for a night.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bass players shouldn't sing lead. Unless they're Sting I guess...

I really have to disagree with you there... Pink Floyd, Sublime, Sloan(Canadian band, wouldn't expect any of you to know them, but they're great), and I'm sure there's more, just can't think.

Interesting thing...My dad used to organize dances in his 20s and he has a signed contract with Rush for a night.

I was kidding. I just noticed the parallel and found it amusing. But I don't think bass players shouldn't sing. I'll add the beatles and Paul to your list. What songs does Sublime's bassist sing on?

Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  8:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love rush!! they're one of those bands that when i first heard them i couldn't stand them, sounded so cheesy, then i started listening just to geddy lee's bass lines, then neil peart's drumming, and the amazing guitar work, and now i'm in love with em. les claypool has said many times that geddy lee is what he grew up listening to, and he thinks the world of em. yeah, rush is good!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What songs does Sublime's bassist sing on?

I can honestly say I have no idea, I just know they've got two different guys singing. Actually I've never even looked up on that, I've always just assumed I was right...I'll take a look.
Do you listen to aany Sublime?

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you listen to aany Sublime?

Yeah, I listen to them.

Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rush "2112" is one of my top 10 desert island discs. Can't wait to hear the new one. I heard it is much better than their last few efforts. Lately I had not been a big fan. Back in the late 70's and the 80's Rush and (ironically, by accident)Molly Hatchet topped my list of the bands I had seen the most live. King Crimson was up there as well with Motorhead, but I had followed those bands on tour.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  6:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got some greatest hits from rush that i'm burning sometime tonite...

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  6:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a suggestion for Rush fans, another Canadian band worth a listen is Max Webster. The guitar player in that band is amazing, his name is Kim Mitchell. Max Webster has a very sought after album(now available on CD)called Universal Juveniles from 1980. There is a track called "BattleScars". The reason it is so sought after is because this is a rare Rush track with all of Rush performing on it with them. Kim Mitchell also put out a solo album called "Go for a Soda" which is also quite good.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  11:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fleabass, I apologize, it looks like I was wrong about Sublime. I think someone once told me the bassist sang, cause I don't think I would have come up with that on my own.
But at any rate, it's good to see someone else on the board who's a fan. I don't know much more than their self-titled album, but that album is one of my favourite of all time.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  2:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's ok, I've learned that when it comes to music info, never trust anyone but the artists themselves. And even then...watch out..

Yeah, Sublime's very underated I think.

Mr. Jaco Pastorius
Adopt your own useless blob!
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of geddy lee, my bassplayer magazine came in today, and it has a full article on geddy lee and the new album. it's a good issue at that!

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
RUSH seems to really push some people's buttons. I never heard anybody detest or hate anything with so much passion as some people do with Rush and the Dallas Cowboys. Go Emmitt! Is Korn starting to get this way?

Geddy is not a bad singer. He sings OK and gets the job done. No, he is not as cool sounding as Maynard, Stayley or Morrison but everyone pales in comparison to them, so get off Geddy's case. I think the problem is the lyrics. The lyrics are the truth, some people just can't handle the truth. Praise Neil! and blesss his saddened soul.
Vapor Trails is as good as their best work to date IMO.
Can't wait to see them AUG 21, 25th row on Geddy's side.

Hi Fluffy, If you love 2112, then you have to own Rush's last live album Different Stages. Not only does it have 2112 (with a new asshole), but also YYZ and Natural Science among others from their "searching times". A bonus CD included is from a sold out show in London from the "Kings" tour.
Speaking of Max Webster, I saw them open for Rush a couple of tours.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Micheal! Glad to see you posting! I can't thank you enough for the TR tunes. By the way, I taped the HOB show in Cali if you are interested.

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  3:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Liz, thanks for nice message.
I'lll contact you about the HOB show, I'd like to hear it.
I saw your PIC, having a blast. What a great thing!
Don't you have anything to say about rush? hehe

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I find it very strange to see a pic of me here. A blast is an understatement for that night!

I'm going to pick up a copy of the new Rush album and I'll let you know what I think..

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I find it very strange to see a pic of me here.

Is that you with the light saber up there?

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  9:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The last I looked I wasn't green. Actually I'm quite tan and much taller at the moment! hee hee

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  04:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Michael, with all my traveling I must have somehow missed that Rush album. I will definitely have to get that. Is the one with the bonus disc ltd ed or anything? Will I have a hard TIMe finding it? If I do, maybe you can burn me a copy. Sounds awesome. Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland were the big reasons I played drums in high school. Thanx for the tip.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's admirable Liz that you will just go out and buy something and give it an honest try seemingly threaded through our common love of Tim's music. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts, good or bad. www.rush.com has a link into the vapor trails album site where there is a nice bio of the album written by Neil.

Go to Top of Page

Micheal
Try A Little Harder

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Micheal's Homepage  Send Micheal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Different Stages, 98', is easy to find. Even though different stages and the tour that spawned it were really good, I don't think they were as tight as they were on Roll the Bones tour 92. But after going through Neil's tragic loss of daughter and wife in 97-98, the band seems to have a fresh sound on vapor trails that reflects a deep respect of the "sweet miriacle of life". I have weeped early and often while drinking in vapor trails almost daily over the past month. I can't imagine their current tour being anything but magical.

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  12:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mikee... Lizzee like's it very much!!!! I'll elaborate more tomorrow, I must get some sleep now...

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  01:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is another album I almost picked up yesterday. But I couldn't think of anything RUSH has done before, and I didn't want to make a blind choice, so didn't get it... Maybe I will now, tho. I seem to think I don't mind their music (I mean, I don't turn it on the radio when I'm in my truck...)

Anywho, I'll have to check it out. Is it all new music or some remakes or redos or whatever?

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  05:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't know all the details of the new one but they are saying it is magnificent. I suggest 2112 if you don't already have that one. Just my opinion of course, for what it's worth.(about 2 cents I think)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jason, the 14 bucks I paid was worth it. I've been listening to it in my car the last couple days. The drummer is excellent! I was never a Rush fan but I like the album. My eyes and ears are always open to new tunes that touch the soul.

Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fluffy:
quote:
Rush "2112" is one of my top 10 desert island discs.

ditto.

I just rediscovered this album a few days ago and it is awesome.
Also - Fluffy, i noticed you listed "Hemispheres" on the "music from the road" post awhile back. I just got it a few days ago and it is amazing as well. What are your thoughts on this album? I love every minute of it from beggining to end, unlike most albums where i have my favorite songs and spots.
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I had forgotten about this topic, but since it is back up top, what better place to mention that Rush has their started remastering their old cds... as I noticed we had "Exit Stage Left" remastered edition at work the other day. I havent heard what they sound like yet, but if the quality and remastering is half as good as the Peter Gabriel remasters, Im sure they are amazing.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

I have the "exit, stage left", "2112", "hemispheres", and "a farewell to kings" remastered editions and the sound quality is awesome. Especially on the live stuff. Definitely worth the investment if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hemisphere's is my 2nd fave Rush album. The song Trees is just amazing. The lyrics say alot about the world in which we live in a wonderful allegorical way. Very well thought out. In the day, Rush was the shit for me. I was a huge Rush fan while I was playing drums. Maybe one of the reasons I gave it up HEHE. The PROFESSOR on drums. Neil Peart is just amazing, but so is everyone else. AMAZINGingly fine musicians.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Bustoff
Chatterbox

145 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Bustoff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes "The Trees" is one of my favorites.
Alex Lifeson can literally mesmorize with his guitar lines. They move me more musically than any other player's. The creepy back-and-forth arpeggios after his screaming solo in "La Villa Strangiato", also from "Hemispheres", just makes me fall into the twilight zone. Especially when i saw them live this summer. They are the one of the tightest, most talented group of musicians to ever play together in my opinion.
Neil Peart is by far, hands down, the best rock drummer ever. That is a fact, not an opinion.

The above comment may be debatable. hehe
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2003 :  5:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For those of you who aren't sure how deeply you want to delve into Rush at first, may I suggest trying Chronicles, a 2 disc set that covers there career. A great place to start. But 2112 and Hemispheres are definite musts if you find yourself digging it at all.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000