Tricks for Warehouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to brag, but I can play just about every Dave Matthews song save one that I cannot master. I can't play Warehouse to give a damn. It's just too fast. Any tricks as how to play this song? Mutes or just speed tips?

Right after I post this I'm going to Best Buy to get....Live At The Quick, the Flecktones new DVD. I can't wait.

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  3:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man, that DVD is awesome. I've been saying Bela wrong all these years. Hey, on another note, an master tabbers know how to play the Aaron Copeland song Hoedown. I love the Flecktones' version.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  6:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know it's funny... there isn't really anything of DMB's that I can't play anymore, but for whatever reason the main riff to Warehouse still comes out like shit. Funny to hear of another player having the same problem. I know all you do is mute the strings around the one you are playing, but for whatever reason it just doesn't want come out right. Hehe you aren't alone on this one JTR.
-J

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  6:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right, you aren't alone on this one, but you're alone on every single other one, sucker.

?uoyt' ner a, mehtf oenoer 'uoY
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  8:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dwauh?

Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a song I often perform for crowds when I play for people . The trick with Wherehouse is that you must keep the beat with your strumming !! When you see dave play it he looks like he's playing every string at once just muting them but he's not . He's really moving down through the strings playing one and muting like one other one !! It's very hard to exsplain . Their are a few notes that you will what to hit harder than others . Well I don't know if I helped but good luck !! Enjoy !!
Cheers !

Greg Spydell
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  09:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lift up your left hand a bit on the notes you arnt playing instead of trying to palm mute... if that helps.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  5:33:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you strumming or are you picking each string and muting the neighboring strings incase you overshoot? I've seen my friend do it, but he's been playing for like 6 years and is somewhat of a prodigy. Any more detail you can give would be great.

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  02:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tab book has the notes out individually, but I have a feeling its a bit more like this for us with more normal hands:

e:-----------------x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--|
B:--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--|
G:--x--x--x--x--x--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--x--|
D:--x--x--x--x-11--x--x--9--9--9--9--x--x--|
A:--x--x--9--9--9-------------10-10--9--7--|
E:--7--7--7--7--7--------------------------|

That's what Dmbtabs.com has, I remember that working back in the day. I have a feeling the only reason the official tab book has each note individually has something to do with the fact that Reynolds actually played the part that Lillywhite kept on the CD. I dunno...

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2002 :  02:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah its kinda like that. you can do it that way. i just do the individual notes, i guess i mute them with my left hand, like have the fingers hover above to mute the strings.

try fingering it w/ your index on the low E, ring on the A, and pinky on the D, that is what i do to allow for easy movement to hit the other notes.

Its easier then you think, you can also try muting the strings a bit w/ that palm of your hand to make it a more rapid sounding uhhh thing.

but instead of strumming all the strings just hit one at a time.

You will figuire it out im sure.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

CheersDtoT
Try A Little Harder

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have watched Dave alot to figure out how he picks . When he picks he's really strumming but he's hitting one or two strings . So I started playing his songs like that ( like Rhyme and Reason and the Stone ) The reason why I do it and probeley the reason why he does it is to keep the beat . This method of playing is really great but it takes a while to learn how to play . In the Wharehouse he does this but to give it more of a sound I believe he is playing the individual string and playing one of the muted ones . Basicly what I did was watched L.S. a bunch of times and a concert tape my friend made . I will probeley just confuse you if I'm telling you , so it's better if you just watch the tapes ! Peace

Cheers - Lyn & T.J.

Greg Spydell
Go to Top of Page

chatterballs
Chatterbox

117 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how i play it, and how it works:

-x-x-x---x----------------------------------------------------
-x-x-x---x----------------------------------------------------
-x-x-x---7----x-x-x----------------------------------------------
-x-x-11--0----x-x-x-----------------------------------------------
-9-9-9---x---10-9-7-----------------------------------------------
-7-7-7---x----x-x-x---------------------------------------------

Left hand finger is 1-2-4. Whole-note stretch is tough at first but come on, don't be a pussy. Just do it. It'll work ten TIMes better, faster, and eventually easier. Besides, that's the way dave does it.
The key is: always mute strings and keep your right hand strumming constantly, that's the only way to keep rhythm on this song. Don't go from the CD version, that was done in a studio by TIM.

Ok, but the hardest main riff (verse riff) to me is Tripping Billies or the Stone. That's tough stuff. Saw dave play it on the listener supported DVD...holy god.

--------------------
I once saw a movie where this bus had to keep its SPEED above 50 and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode...I think it was called, the bus that couldn't slow down.
Go to Top of Page

dmballday
Is Anybody Here?

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  12:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Send dmballday an AOL message  Reply with Quote
eh you could also just play

e
b
g
d -----11-12-9
a ------------10-9
e -7-7-------------

i've found that dave doesn't play the F# on d string

and also that instead of going to the g string to get the d is what lazy people do heh like me.

oh yes, fyi, i'm new here

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2002 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, but the hardest main riff (verse riff) to me is Tripping Billies or the Stone. That's tough stuff. Saw dave play it on the listener supported DVD...holy god.

I've found that after you play those verses a lot, to the point where you don't even have to think about what your hands are doing.......then you can sing to your heart's content. The funny thing is that I've played The Stone so many TIMes that I even while playing and singing.......I'm still thinking about other stuff.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  11:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The funny thing is that I've played The Stone so many TIMes that I even while playing and singing.......I'm still thinking about other stuff.

Yeah, I've actually had that too... The Stone is the first song I was ever able to sing completely from beginning to end and not mess up either part at all throughout. I could just play and sing the first time I tried. It still doesn't make sense to me cause it's pretty complicated, though I'm an awful singer so it's not like I practised any other songs all the time. But to this day, I can't sing the Typical Situation verses while playing guitar, I can't keep the slow guitar rhythm going.

Go to Top of Page

therippa
Fluffy-Esque

Kazakhstan
1099 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2002 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Send therippa an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I took me a while to figure this one out - one day it just clicked. I play it like www.dmbtabs.com tells me too - I think that version sounds best. It REALLY helps if your guitar has low action...I can play this on my D-28, but not my Seagull. Keep your wrist loose and let your hand "Chop" into the strings to make the notes. Hold the pick loosely but firmly. Practice by just doing one downstroke on each chord then build up speed and add in the upstroke.

---------------
Aspiring to Be Fluffy-Esque

"I heard Tim stopped playing with Dave when he got pregnant"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000