Song in what Key?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  4:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to do a jam for the mellow jam in Lie In Our Graves, somehwhat like Reynolds does when he's on tour with the DMB. I just need to check this out, but I'm pretty sure the song is in the key of D, right? I'm still new to some of this stuff so my scale and key analysis isn't that great.

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yep, key o d it is. D maj will be the scale u want to use.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  6:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  11:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would go with D Mixolydian. It's my
favorite scale, sounds eastern played over key of D, and also
sounds very nice over the key of G.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  1:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd say "B" harmonic minor. it stays close to the d major scale, but it has that awesome augemented 2nd in it and sounds very eastern indeed!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How about a Hybrid, of D Mixo/B Harm/D major...errrr come on man just jam for the love of god.

Go to Top of Page

j
Chatterbox

149 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit j's Homepage  Send j an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about B Harmonic minor because of the Bb in the scale. One can, of course, play whatever you like but that Bb should sound damn convincing and played like you want it there. If you really want an eastern sound, you could also play the E harmonic minor scale starting on the B but that would probably sound really strange. You could also play in the B Dorian scale over the whole progression except the G and Em chords. If you listen to what Tim does, he definately is in a D major/B minor state of mind although he might step out a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
TIM does that alot, sticks to D Mixo and B and throws in off key notes on purpose i love it. dont get to modal on the poor boy.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  9:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah no matter what key it's in, a harmonic minor will always sound a little off, because it does a whole and a half note skip, which is not in any major, or modal scale. it sounds cool if used sparingly.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  11:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said, I'm still pretty new to improv. I might throw in some chromatic notes (by accident), but I like to think there's plenty to do with the notes already in the scale.
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  11:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just let it flow, dont think about what your gonna do to much before you have to do it...

Go to Top of Page

JTR
Chatterbox

417 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  5:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That shouldn't be a problem. I'm very comfortable with the tune so it should all go well. I just hope the guy who will be playing ALL the rythme parts gets it, since he's only been playing for 3 months and I taught him most everything he knows. Regardless if its perfect, it's going to be fun, and that's the point. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NeverKillADream
Yak Addict

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit NeverKillADream's Homepage  Send NeverKillADream an AOL message  Reply with Quote
all i can say is, if he fucks up and goes off on some crazy stuff or beat, just follow him and bring him back.... lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000