Question about Strings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  8:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The kind of strings I use for my Chet Atkins SST are D'Addario 85/15 Bronze, the part number is EZ910 gauge is 11-52.

My question is, what does the 85/15 mean? And what would be the difference between that and 85/20?

The reason I ask is that my new guitar recommends 85/20 strings, but the gauge I want to use on it, 12-54, is 85/15.

Any help is appreciated.

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  11:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any ideas about this?

Adam

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a clue. I just buy my strings at Carvin......for a buck apiece.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  01:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got no idea man, sorry.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
85/15 and 85/20 are just referring to the type of bronze wrapped around the steel string. 80/20's are going to have a little more low end than 85/15's, and the high end will level off a little faster than 80/15's. 80/15's are going to have good low end and a very bright high end. Hope that helps.
-J

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know stuff like that? And how can you tell stuff like that when you're playing?

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I only know because I asked the same question at a guitar shop once when I was buying strings.
-J

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks silky, that really clears it up.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  9:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i've never told anyone this........whcih surprises me....check oot Martin 80/20 bronze mediums. They have bronze e and b strings. THe broze wears off eventually, but they sound great for months on end.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2002 :  02:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To tell you the honest truth, I bought the kind of strings TIM uses just b/c I figured he knows what he's doing, and he of course he did, and I love them and still use them.

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  12:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when I got my new Martin, it came with those strings, with the bronze high b and e strings. Nice strings.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2002 :  9:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
aren't they? I usually change my stings every two to three weeks, but i've had these on for three months and they still stayed in tune and sounded fine. I like old strings, anyway, as long as they aren't corroded. Also, for 6 bucks, you're really getting a nice deal.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  3:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a question........does anyone else get those bumps on the G string over each fret after the string has been on for a while?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  3:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope. THat is a good sign to change yer strings, buddy! Buy Martin SP mediums! You'll love em!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  5:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh.....I just keep playing the same ones until the G string breaks......and that's the only one that ever breaks......hmmmmmm

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  10:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How often do you break strings? I'm with Jay, I cannot stand dead strings so I change them as often as I can.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2002 :  11:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not too often. I'd say every 6 months or so.......which seems to be really good. And the strings are really cheap too.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2002 :  12:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
With my lapslide, I change the stings every two months, since I'm using a slide over the frets and not my fingers. For my Ibanez, usually every two to three weeks. And always with Martin SP Phospher Bronze Mediums. They are .013-.056, which, if you always play light strings, they'll really hurt if you play them for a while, but you get used to it. They aren't any harder to play, and they improve your tone and projection a lot.

Jay
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2002 :  01:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Patrick. I change when one breaks, but it's not always the g. And I use the coated strings. Cause I'm a baby.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2002 :  8:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly! How could you stand changing them every 2 to 3 weeks? Maybe you get faster the more you do it, but it takes me at least 20 minutes to takes them off, replace them, and tune them. Also, I probably spent quite a bit less on strings.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2002 :  09:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can change the strings and tune in aboot ten minutes, I've only been playing for aboot 2 years, accually.

Jay
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  9:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can change strings pretty quickly and painlessly, but it's stretching them that takes forever and hurts like a bitch. My thumb and index finger on my right hand are fucking raw by the time I'm done stretching them out.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't bother with streaching them, I've only doen that once, and all it did was give me freedom from having to re-tune my guitar twoce. IN two days, the strings'll be fine, so I say, DON'T BOTHER!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  6:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i like to use slinky strings. the kind where the low ones are disproprotionally thicker than the high ones. but that's just on my electric. the acoustic ones i use these nice martin ones that come in read box. i only change strings before a show or when i'm going to do some recording.

get in the car, little girl.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I use a pretty light gauge on my electrics nowadays, and believe me, if you don't stretch those strings out, the higher ones detune about 1 to 2 steps if you play a solo with a lot of bending. I've been known to retune during a song, but it gets old having to do it after ANY solo where you have to bend your g or b string.

With acoustic, yeah, if you tune it once, play for a while, tune again, etc... eventually after two or three tunings, you're good to go, not taking into account of course temperature and other factors that can be a bitch on being in tune.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Adam, what is proper tecnique for stretching strings?

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  11:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First you put all new strings on, and tune them to pitch. Then starting at the first fret, push down with your left index finger (mind you these instructions are for right handers), then with your right hand, pull the string up, away from the fretboard, about 3 or 4 frets above the fret your pushing down on. For example, if you start at the first fret, pushing with your left hand index finger, pull up at the 4th or 5th fret with your thumb and index finger of your right hand. Then repeat the process, moving up one fret each time, always keeping your two hands 3 or 4 frets apart. In reality, you really have to use your thumb, index, and middle fingers to pull up after a while, because it gets a little tougher as you do it more.

Once you get to the end of the fretboard, check the string again, it will be flat, tune it back up to pitch and start again. Keep doing it until the string barely goes flat after going up the entire fretboard.

I hope that was a decent explanation, if not, ill try to clarify.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  11:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That works... not sure if it's something that I'll really end up picking up though, sounds like a lot of work! But I'll give it a try in a few weeks when I restring. Thanks for the info.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pants_happy
Chatterbox

412 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  12:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that works,but since i'm lazy, i tune it, then just fret the 12th fret and pull up over the sound hole, then retune,then repeat about five times, and do that for every string, and that works just fine for me, and doesn't take too long. the only time i ever have to retune after that is maybe once a day, and that's just for very fine adjustments.

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since I tune my guitar to different tunings ten-fifteen times a day (Seriously) I don't even bother with the stretch. I just put them on, leave them there for an hour, pick it up, tune, play, leave for an hour, pick it up, tune, play, and it's good. Might i stress again Martin SP Mediums. The trebles can handle being tuned up to c and f ( well, I tune my guitar a step down, so that's relative) three or four times a day, and then down to c, d, or a, plus standard tuning. So this $8 is wrth it!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... got neck adjustments?

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
GOod to see ya back, Silky!

Jay
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2002 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  12:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"the acoustic ones i use these nice martin ones that come in red box. i only change strings before a show or when i'm going to do some recording"

(The fucking quote thing isn't working for me...)

Martin SP's? Those sound like lights. Get the ones in the blue box. They are $8, and are the best strings around. This must be the fitieth time i've said that. But trust me, they are worth it. The gauges are 56-13, so they'll work up some nice callouses. Try em!

Jay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000