New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright, some time ago i had a discussion with someone(jay i think maybe) over victor wooten and les claypool. I personally like them both, but who do you all think is better?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is so incredibly hard to say....because they are two different styles of music. Its almost like comparing Bach to Slipknot, although not quite THAT extreme...

Les's slapping isn't quite as precise as Vic's, altough Tommy The Cat live (Rhinoplasty) is amazing.

Again, it's two different styles...so it's a toughy...on all acounts, though, Im gonna have to go with...

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  4:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Rough call, but I'll give Vic the edge based solely on that whole "virtuoso" bit.
-J

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course you know i go with vic, but not only for his ability to play incredibly fast(obvious) but to actually come out with melodic and chordal songs that sound good, but its only on a bass guitar. Les is good in his respect, for the rock and roll world he tops em all(including flea) but overall vic

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm aiming for Vic, but I like his stuff with Bela Fleck and Vitaltechtones over that strange stuff on Live in America. . .

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  7:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Vic I think. Though Claypool's version of Stanley Clarke's "Silly Putty" on Rhinoplasty is freaking awesome, I like it better than Stanley's (but i feel so guilty about it). Also, Tommy the Cat is freaking crazy w/ the slapping and the popping and the GLAYVIN!!!
But after seeing the Bela Fleck DVD, I think Vic is the more complete musician not to mention COMPLETELY INSANE. FREAK OF NATURE.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  7:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i regret to say i haven't heard any of these songs off of rhinoplasty, but you can guarantee that that is the next cd i'm gonna buy. I have primus's pork soda, and sailing the seas of cheese, and both of those are pretty amazing. Stanley clarke is awesome, i really would love to hear a cover of him.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  06:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am gonna have to go back to my past statement of comparing apples and oranges. 2 totally different styles. Almost impossible for me to compare. They are both truly amazing in different ways. Guess it would really depend on my mood at the TIMe of answering the question. It could be totally different tomorrow or an hour from now. Suffice to say they are BOTH amazing!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  4:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd definatly say Wooten on raw technical faucility, and at accenting a band. I think most of Claypool's tunes have to be built around his basslines, but I think Claypool's work is more innovative then Wooten, and ya gotta give Claypool credit for being able to play those crazy ass basslines effortlessly enough to sing at the same time.

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  9:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and ya gotta give Claypool credit for being able to play those crazy ass basslines effortlessly enough to sing at the same time.

Haha, everytime I hear Vic start talking or singing, I skip tracks on the cd. . .now you see why Live in America is collecting dust on my shelf. Why does he even bother writting lyrics?

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  12:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's probably just something he enjoys doing, but i bet a lot of vic's fans probably don't care for his vocals either. At least it mixes things up a bit though.

Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  12:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

like everybody else has mentioned it is very hard to compare the two... but i would say that i enjoy wooten's work more. just a personal preference.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  1:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Haha... HTG I skip over anything with vocals on it too.
-J

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  1:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the song that joseph wooten sings solo with piano is really good though! i don't know if you've listened to it, but it's actually worth a listen. i think it's called "I dream in color." but everything else with vocals is...well...just plain sucks.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  4:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, i'll give that song a listen. Silky, who the hell is that rapping woman in Live in America???????? Jeeze.

Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  10:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the Flecktones DVD? That extra thing w/ Future man talking about that crazy scale is freaking insane. I was very scared.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i still haven't seen the DVD yet, but that weird lasy that raps, she sucks so bad! annoying as hell...

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fleabass - Yeah I have that DVD, thats some weird shit. Instead of using our basic 12 tone system, some guy divised a different system based on the periodic table of elements. Weird shit that Futureman is a nutcase, he got arrested for tax evasian last year hehe.

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Futureman is awesome. Last Flecktones show I was at I was talking to him about his solo album, which was based on pi. Awesome concept, I wonder how it sounds... still haven't listened to that album.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
futureman has those odd tendencies such as those...weird guy, helluva synthaxe drummer though!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  5:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
weird guy, helluva synthaxe drummer though!

True. And yes VWF, that rapping lady is very wierd. Does she play bass on that cd? If not, who's the picture of that lady holding the bass guitar in the booklet??????? hhhmmmm.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  6:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, there's one song where vic says"divinity" (oh yeah, that's her name) "divinity, there's some people in the audience that said you can't thump that bass" and it goes on talking, and then i guess she plays, cause everything stops, she shreds for a few seconds on it, and then everyone bursts out clapping, then she raps again.

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All right, the woman cant rap, but she can play bass, and her little jam session during the song is pretty awesome. There, I said it . . .

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  11:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what, I take alot of things I said bad about Live in America, it's actually pretty good. My sudden change in opinion came from listining to the first disc with no stops. It's up there with Live Art. Both great cds.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  07:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i think the cds pretty good also! just take out the woman rapper and it'd be even better!

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  03:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And take out the intro to "Me and my bass guitar"
"JD, JD, JD, JD" on and on and on. Damn.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the first time i heard that i couldn't stop laughing, but after that it got really old!

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  2:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
silly Putty is one of faves. I also love Golden Boy on teh Brown Album. THat song has some of the most kick ass bass i've ever heard

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VWF, the guitar solo's scattered throughout the cd are awesome. Especially at the end of Me and My bass guitar, the solo leading up to Pretty Little Lady.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  9:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i don't know which solo it is, but the one where it's only regi playing is very cool! he freakin goes off on that thing. there is however somethign about his guitar tone that i don't like, it's a little too fuzzy sounding...

Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  9:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The solo in Yinn and Yanging goes nicely with the songs mood.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, he hits the melody in that song so nice, it has the feeling of inspiration to it. i still say the best one on the disc is the one that joseph wooten sings solo, i love that song! the melodies are nice, but his lyrics are so just damn awesome!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000