Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 For those of you interested in space...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw this on CNN.com today, I thought it was an extremely interesting story. Space fascinates me since it is just about the only "unknown" left for us to discover. Anyways check it out some really cool pics here... http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/04/30/hubble.pix/index.html

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  4:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin, great link.

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  5:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Damn, thats a kick ass link. I used to have this link to all these hubble shots too, they make great wallpaper on top of being downright fascinating. It's hard to imagine that those are actually real pictures of real things, they look airbrushed or something, like an artists rendering of the real thing almost.

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That makes me wonder...

If you could get really far away from the Earth, say...1,000,000 light years or so, and you could get a telescope that could get you to be able to see individual humans, when you looked would you be looking at what they did 1,000,000 ago (however long that is - probably a long time)?

-What-
Go to Top of Page

Fleabass76
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Fleabass76 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is what would happen. Just like if we see a star explode and it's 500 light years away, it exploded 500 years ago...none of us were born when it exploded, yet we get to see it. Freaky.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's just fascinating to me.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So if someone looks at me from 500 light years away, then he is 500 years ahead of me. But if at exactly when he sees me, I'm looking directly back toward him, I'm seeing something that is 1000 years in his past? This is wicked confusing to me.

But that's right. I'm in the middle, he's looking at me (which means he must be in MY future) and I'm looking toward him (not AT him; that wouldn't be possible cause he wouldn't be there at the time).

So it's like this. At exactly the moment he sees me, I could be also seeing a relative of his removed from him by 1000 years. (at three generations per 100 years, that's 30 gens...so) I could be seeing his great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather.

Man, that's confusing.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think blackholes are probably the coolest thing out there in our galaxy.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to disagree. I'd have to say maybe wormholes...

Oh, wait, is that the same thing?

-What-
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of the movie "Event Horizon" Jeeze that movie scared the shit out of me.

"I tell you what, I'm not that easily amused ...wow, a blue car!" Homer Simpson.
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  10:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's all fun stuff to ponder. Hackneyed as it may be, the theory of relativity is a fun mind game... just as Jason was explaining it. But I've never been a big fan of the idea of time travel based upon the theory of relativity... it's just stupid because time is based on a constant, whereas that theory is based on perception. The time itself doesn't change, only the person's viewpoint of time based upon images formed by light. Damn Einstein could be a dumbass sometimes.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  03:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any of you read the book Timeline by Michael Crichton? Somewhere in the beginning of the book they explain how time travel is impossible because "time doesn't pass; we pass".......however, by using quantum physics, they were ablr to find that it is not a universe, but a multiverse, in which there are an unlimited number of universes all happening at different time periods, but all existing at once. Let me explain it like he did (if I can remember). There's an infinite number of universe that displays something different between each one. It could be something small like a universe where you didn't drink coffee before work.....or it could be something huge like a universe where Hitler won the war. And in the book they were able to transport themselves to these universes. Pretty kewl stuff. The majority of the book takes place in the middle ages because a scientist wandered away from the transportation device and was stranded. The basic plot is that these students that were under the scientist go to get him back. I loved it. Pick it up if you get a chance.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That talk about moving forward a few light years and looking back in time reminds me of the Picard Manuver. Engaging warp engines at a particular distance for a short burst, making it appear to enemies that there are TWO Enterprises (or in Picard's original case, Stargazers). He used it against the Ferengis, and those poor bastards fell for it.

So if our planet, or our sun exploded today....no one would know we were dead for hundreds of years.....how sad.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Timeline is an awesome book. I read it a few times because I really liked the ideas in it, about the quantum foam, the multiverse, etc... I also like how Crichton based his ideas, some of them, on real theories and ideas, as he does in a lot of his books.

Adam

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  4:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...you ever look at the back of his books and see the number of books he used for research? Wow.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2002 :  6:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Crichton is a favorite author of mine...probably top three...

Fav book by him...Travels.

Haven't read Timeline. I'll get it soon, tho, after the book I'm reading now is done.

-What-
Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  3:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also read Timeline... great book, I was so fascinated by his explanation of how they could go to those different universes, I read it like ten times in a row, just to make sure I understood it. I really liked the prologue thing too, it makes you think differently.

About that light year thing, if you could travel faster than the speed of light, could you not then look at what you yourself was doing in the past?

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  10:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
dirtysloth wrote:
quote:
Can't help but think of that Halloween Simpson's episode.... where it's raining donuts outside but no one knows what a "donut" is.
That is one of my all-time fave episodes. I mentioned it in a post a long long TIMe ago in a post far far away. That was one of Homers alternate realities. That is definitely one of my fave Simpsons moments.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really interesting stuff. We are so fortunate to have the Hubble up there in space. Astronomy is my favorite past time activity. I just saw this thread today. Glad there are others among us who think wormholes, black holes, supernovas, nebulae, and the Hubble are interesting. The possibilities and concepts are endless. There are so many other galaxies, solar systems, and planets that we humans are really quite naive to think we are the only life forms in the multiverse. All of the elements and matter found in the human body originated from supernovas. Just a little more food for thought!

Always look up!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The time concept with space is pretty cool. Like we can look at one star, and it's the image of the star 500 years ago, then right next to it another star that could be like 1000 years ago image. That just blows my mind...

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  1:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly! Kinda like how it was formerly believed that Andromeda was a star in our galaxy then we discovered it was a galaxy outside the Milky way galaxy with planetary bodies and stars(many, like our own sun) of its own. And now thanx to the Hubble we've discovered hundreds of thousands of galaxies. " Nine planets around the sun, only one does the sun embrace. Upon this watered one, so much do we take for granted". I'm certain this applies to more than just the Milky way galaxy, our planet Earth and Sun, especially if there are hundreds of thousands and those are just the ones we've detected so far. The possibilities are infinite! There's no way we're alone in the multiverse.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hell yeah, i like the one sweet world quote, very fitting. Also one of my fav. dave and Tim songs.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know this is a completely random thought that I had the other day..but I'll share it.

So light basically comes to us in the form of photons (I think. I hope I'm not wrong on that basic premise). And when we are "in the sun" (meaning that the sun is shining on us, and we're not under something or whatnot), every part of us is being hit by those photons. So even as far away as we are, the sun shoots out enough electrons to completely and utterly blanket us with photons. (What I mean basically is that if there's a direct path between us and the sun [ie. no shade] , the sun is giving off enough photons so that there's no un-lit place.) What amazed me was this: At the source (the sun) the photons must be so extraordinarily packed together that it is indescribable. It makes perfect sense for the sun to be a mass of incandescent gas, simply for this reason.

Which reminds me of a song...

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas
A gigantic nuclear furnace
Where hydrogen is built into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees

The sun is hot, the sun is not
A place where we could live
But here on earth there'd be no life
Without the light it gives.

We need its heat, we need its light
The sunlight that we see
The sunlight comes from our own sun's
Atomic energy

The sun is hot...

(spoken) The sun is so hot that everything on it is a gas: iron,
copper, aluminum, and many others.

The sun is large...

(spoken) If the sun were hollow, a million earths could fit inside.
And yet, it is only a middle-sized star.

The sun is far away...

(spoken) About 93 million miles away, and that's why it looks so small.

But even when it's out of sight,
The sun shines night and day!

We need its heat, we need its light,
The sunlight that we see
The sunlight comes from our own sun's
Atomic energy

(spoken) Scientists have found that the sun is a huge atom- smashing machine.
The heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reaction
between hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon, and helium.

---------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy that.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope that song straight up kicks ass.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which reminds me of a song...

I LOVE THAT SONG!! I LOVE THAT BAND!!
http://www2.smumn.edu/deptpages/~physics/astronomy/SunSong_TMBG.mp3

teri

Did I mention that I finished a marathon?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Songs and bands like this are GREAT for kids. The music is fun, and if you sing the song (which is hard not to do) then you'll learn something.

I saw TMBG at a christian college in AR, the FIRST time they played (at a show) their new (at the time) song SEXXY. It was fitting and great for the christian college. What a trip.

And pcbdmb, you're going to have to remind me who sings your song.

-what-
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Monty Python.

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Found it!

http://w1.470.telia.com/~u47003669/galaxysong.mp3

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  9:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow.....that was fast!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  10:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aw, shucks.

I use AltaVista.com, which has an audio search with boolean logic capability. If you go there an put in "monty python" AND galaxy it pops right up.

teri

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  10:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh...I didn't know that....sounds like a good site....I'll have to try it someTIMe!

Go to Top of Page

enthuTIMsiast
Alien Abductee

6990 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  11:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Send enthuTIMsiast an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have always been partial to altavista.com. I'll even link to them, for old times sake.

altavista.

hehe...I didn't know until now that you can enlarge active links....wooohooooo.. ....

-what-
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Love this thread...it will never die...unlike the stars in the sky
or you or I.

Which reminds me..In Einsteins theory of relativity-E=MC2...it states that matter and energy are one in the same (our bodies are made up of both)and matter(and energy) can be neither created or nor destroyed, it just changes form and the energy remains.

So that means that living beings and stars do not die....we just change form at the point of (what we call) death and the energy remains, even becomes stronger. The matter is transformed into energy. This helps me deal with the recent death of my dog a little better....and it's really interesting stuff to ponder.

But I still miss him

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
imagine this...everything we've already said in sound waves is now traveling somewhere out in the universe, and will keep on traveling. so everything anyone has already said, is still saying it, everything that has been, is still there(like the stars that are gone, but we still see them, in our 500 years viewing) and so what ever we say in way can't be taken back, cause it's always out there, as a reminder almost, of what we're doing. yeah...

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your logic might be a little off. Light waves/particles aren't affected (much) by what they travel through. Sound waves are. So after a certian distance, they are so spread that they are no longer anything: they just peter out.

I think I'm not saying that exactly correctly, but I don't think I'm wrong, either way.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But then, I never really think I'm wrong.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually whose to saw how much it peters off though. there will still be some existence of your sound no matter what. It will never cease to exist so it's still out there. it's just common sense that the wave would not have to same exactness to it...

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Physics is to say how much it will peter off. Yes, it will in fact cease to exist, sooner than later.

quote:
it's just common sense that the wave would not have to same exactness to it...

What does that have to do with anything?

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  12:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it becomes smaller and smaller and so small that it's not able to be seen or calculated, but it will always be there. kinda like a half-life thing(i think)

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  1:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get what your trying to say VWF and Genome, But I hope your wrong VWF cause I'd really like to take back some things I've said in the past. Or at least hope those things have traveled so far away they are now undetectable or better yet completely disappeared. The theory would indicate that reality/fate( a continual wave emission) can be altered by words(sound waves) and it would make sense that they(sound waves) don't just disappear and once spoken can always be detected even if only in our minds. Which also may be why I'm still feeling the repercussions of things I've said in the past. They didn't disappear nor will they ever and because of it things will never be the same in that circumstance. Reality/Fate was altered. Shouldn't mess with fate. But I'm kinda jumping in the middle of quantum physical theories and it can get confusing. I know I've totally confused myself and I must go ponder the concepts.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  1:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a sad thought for the actions that you regret, but also at the same time, for those memorable moments and good things that have happened, are still happening, even as you say evergreen, in your mind as well. maybe that's why we can't seem to forget about certain things in out life, from the past.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  10:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ Different astronomy picture each day with explanation and links. Most are actual photos from Hubble, Voyager, Earth telescopes, etc. It's a NASA website and I'm never sure whether to love or hate NASA, but it sure offers some great pictures and knowledge. I bet they don't show us ALL the stuff the Hubble has seen. If you click on "tomorrows picture" it gives you an unauthorized message. It's probably because they don't want us to see the pictures of the "little green men", before they have a chance to put them in a "classified file". Information that will threaten our national security!!! Little do they know TR himself is an extra terrestrial and only the board knows the real truth!

www.seti.org Like I said, we already found it!

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  01:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it becomes smaller and smaller and so small that it's not able to be seen or calculated, but it will always be there. kinda like a half-life thing(i think)

I think the word you were looking for was "asymptote." It's a way cool word.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/wavs/1/A0490100.wav

teri

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  1:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like that sutff i use in trig class and such?

Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Exactly! See how useful math can be?

teri

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  6:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you telling me that this is applicable!?!!?!?!? if so, YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!! finally, i can use it in a real life situation, my year wasn't totally wasted in the class! woohoo!

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I'm doin that stuff in math too. It really does feel like a big waste of time, doing all those graphs over and over again.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  9:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It IS a waste of time... it's all a very big waste of time and effort.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  3:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Har har! Then I've wasted three years of my life. Ahhhhh.....good ole asymptotes! And limits as x approaches infinity!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What a truly beautiful MULTIVERSE we live in!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2002 :  3:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Astronomy report for 5/29/02.
Tonight, shortly after sunset, if your skies are clear, you should be able to see Mars, Venus and Jupiter. All in a slanted line over the western horizon. Mars will be the smallest, with a reddish glow closest to the horizon. Just above it, Venus, will be the brightest. Jupiter above Venus, brighter and whiter than Mars, but less dim than Venus.

-------------------- o Jupiter

------------------------- O Venus

--------------------------- . Mars

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  07:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moon beams home in a jar....

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  07:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
space.com

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  12:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of space and such, anyone heard 2001 space oddessy theme by phish? it's a killer version, check it oot!

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  07:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SPACE(s)
Larry Coryell, guitar
John McLaughlin, guitar
Chick Corea, electric piano
Miroslav Vitous, bass
Billy Cobham, drumz

*Vanguard 1974

Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  08:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey girl, how have you been? Hope all is well in beautiful Vermont!
Please tell secret squirrel I said Hi!!

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2002 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Evergreen, that is a great Larry Coryell album. I mentioned him in a past post asking about Jazz and also in one asking about other acoustic guitar players. Here are the links for those who want to check out all the recommendations or add your own.

jazz topic: http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=646

acoustic topic: http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=892

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020615.html

Nice pictures to go with great music.

Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  12:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The eye of God staring at us.

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's so amazing that in 1054 Galileo witnessed a supernova and we still see the end remnants today as the Crab Nebula (M1).
Here are some links to pictures
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020714.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap011227.html

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  10:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful... almost looks surreal. Have any more pictures like that?
-J

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2002 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more. The nebulae are my favorites as you can see. The colors and depth is soooooo awesome. They are all from Astronomy Picture of the Day.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020710.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020701.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020618.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020520.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020420.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap971230.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980325.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap981118.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap981117.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap981101.html

Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  09:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A New Mexican desert. A graveyard in West Virginia. The International Space Station (ISS). What do these places have in common? Experts say they're good spots to watch the 2002 Leonid meteor storm.

"We've calculated meteor rates for 58 cities around the world and for the space station," says Bill Cooke of the Marshall Space Flight Center's Space Environments Team. "People who live in North America or Europe or onboard the ISS are going to see a lot of Leonids this year."

Leonid meteor storms happen when Earth plows through clouds of dusty debris shed by comet 55/P Tempel-Tuttle. Right now Earth is heading for two such clouds. "We'll collide with both of them on Tuesday morning, Nov. 19th," says Cooke. "The first cloud will cause a flurry of meteors over Europe at about 0400 UT. We expect sky watchers in the countryside (away from bright city lights) to see between 500 and 1000 Leonids per hour."

Earth will plow into the second cloud about six hours later (1030 UT or 5:30 a.m. EST) and cause an even bigger outburst over North America. "Observers here in the United States could see as many as 2000 per hour," he predicts.

Other parts of the world will be sprinkled with Leonids, too, but nothing like Europe or North America. If the predictions are correct, observers in Asia, Australia, South America and much of Africa will count no more than a few dozen bright meteors in a one-hour span.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  09:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW, that sounds way kewl, too bad we will be in Florida on the 19th and not one of the kewl places to see it best. What are their predictions for the Florida area? Good to see you back Evergreen, missed ya, hope you start posting more!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I should have put the link/source.
http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/09oct_leonidsforecast.html

There's asection at the bottom for specific city info.The star showers will be visible from all of North America so you should be able to see some of them.

Thanx for welcoming me back. Read my other post for more info
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  10:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Your link gives me one of those "page cannot be found" messages. Can you check and make sure it is the right link. Thanx for the speedy reply.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://science.msfc.nasa.gov

Try this one. You'll have to scroll down to get the story link.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarGuy305
Alien Abductee

USA
2007 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  5:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send GuitarGuy305 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

A graveyard in West Virginia.

Umm....no thanks.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  05:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know where we are most likely to find Xar watching from:

quote:
A graveyard in West Virginia

Speaking of, where has he been? Haven't seen him posting in a while.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  05:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
He was here for this controversy......

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2657

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  4:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap021105.html

hey Fluffy, has the traveling trio ever gone to the Joshua Tree
in your scenic tour journey's?
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  4:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://skyandtelescope.com/news/current/article_788_1.asp
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  3:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not sure exactly what you are asking about Evergreen, but we are a quartet right now with the addition of Mason. AS for me, we arrived in Florida just in the nick of TIMe to see some of the meteor shower from my ocean-view balcony in Ft Lauderdale. I have spent alot of TIMe on the balcony on our day off just watching the waves roll in. The weather is beautiful here even though they were calling for rain today, it didn't happen. It has been quite a view, sunups and sundowns. The camera just won't capture it, but I tried.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  3:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Evergreen, I just checked your link and it all made sense. We have never been there as a group, but both TR and I have been there. When we were in AZ on the last tour we discussed it quite a bit and how beautiful it is. I would love to go again.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Evergreen
Yak Addict

960 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I asked( and I had forgotten I asked. So many topics to read)
One TIMe back in the summer, I had a dream about TR digging in the ground at the base of the tree. He was on his knees digging with his hands and noone was around except for him. Being that he was at the Joshua Tree I was sure it had some sort of significance but could never figure it out. You'll have to ask him someTIMe because even though it was my dream, I'm sure he knows the answer.
Go to Top of Page

tericee
Alien Abductee

USA
2579 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  6:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit tericee's Homepage  Send tericee an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Joshua Tree National Park is in California, not Arizona. There was an earthquake centered there the weekend after my roommate went camping there in 1999. From our house, the shaking wasn't as bad but it did make waves in the pool. She was glad to get the mini-version! I slept through it.

teri
Twittering about the DC adventure since Dec '09...
(Micro)Blog * Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000