John Mayer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  7:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember if anyone has said anything about this guy here, but I just picked up his "Room for Squares" cd and I am impressed. Has anyone here heard this yet and if so whatcha think?

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  9:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i got 'room for squares' in december and was somewhat impressed. it wasn't until i downloaded a lot of live stuff that convinced me john is got something good going. i saw him live last night and he just kicked ass. guy's got major chops...he closed with some hendrix. he's also pretty funny, started playing some backstreet boys, laughed and said 'what the fuck am i thinking?' overall good stuff. check out sixfeetsmall.com for lots of info and live shows.

Go to Top of Page

Jason
Chatterbox

194 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  11:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on..thanks

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  10:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am definitely into his music. Good stuff.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  11:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Saw him on .... carsons show... hey it was after conan and he kicks ass... but anyway, he played some song like...holograph or sumthin like that, but technically he was playing some kewl stuff. i will have to check out his other stuff. his voice is kinda werid though. but ehh.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  12:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
may i suggest 'something's missing', 'man on the side', and 'sucker' as songs to check out. 'something's missing' has just a kick ass guitar part. wish i thought of it.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  2:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like 'Neon' 'No Such Thing' and 'St. Patricks Day' as well. I have yet to discover a bad song of his.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats what it was he played solo, neon.

holograph, i was way off.

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  2:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard a few of his songs, I wanted to go see him in concert, he did two shows by me but the closest one sold out faster then a damn New Kids show.

Jude your not too far from The Rave why didn't you go see him last Thursday?

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  02:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We had a John Mayer brush on our trip out to meet TR in Denver. As you have probably figured out, we got off to a late start. Lots of technical problems. The power was out at my home for 2 days and we had problems with getting the rental car. Anyway, we finally got underway at midnite on Tuesday after wanting to leave early Monday morning. Anyway we hit Columbus OH around 9am on Wed. Rew decided he wanted Starbucks and asked me if I remembered how to get to the Newport Music Hall where we had played with TR in Columbus. We knew there was a Starbucks right there. I did so we headed off the freeway to find the Starbucks. We found it no problem and when we looked at the marquee for the Newport and John Mayer was playing that evening. The tour manager for John Mayer is a really good friend of mine, Ken. He was the tour manager on my Chris Whitley tour over the summer and I have known him for about 5 years. When I was in NYC tour managing CW solo tour of the NE which Ken hooked up for me because he was busy, Ken was having a meeting with John Mayer and management to see if JM would be interested in Ken as a possible tour manager. Well Ken got the job so I was wondering if Ken was still with him and sure enuf he was. I tried calling his cell but only got his message so we wandered around for a little while and I tried again and only got the voicemail. So we were just getting ready to leave when a big ole Prevost drove by and I said let me just run check and see if that it him. Sure enuf it was so we spent the afternoon hanging with the John Mayer crew. Ken wanted us to stay for the show but Rew and I had to get moving. Small world. I was all annoyed that we were getting a late start but it turned out to be a good thing I guess. I got to see Ken. SYNCHRONICITY I tell you, SYNCHRONICITY!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  03:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Jude your not too far from The Rave why didn't you go see him last Thursday?

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1044

And hey my statement came true...

anyway, for further references all, dick mountjoy is my elder brother, and if i was back home i am sure i would have joined him at the show... but wasnt so i didna.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ken tells me they will be touring thru Oct. so you may get another opportunity. You might want to check his website for tour dates. Hope you get to see him. Tell them HI for me if you do.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saxygrl528
Is Anybody Here?

4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Saxygrl528 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have been into john for a long time and i couldn't go see him this weekend in memphis because i had an accounting final!!!! (i was so sad! now he's coming thru b-ham may 11th and i don't think i can go to that show either. :( sadness...but yeah i do enjoy his music lots :)

~*Jennifer*~
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of Guster and I just noticed that Guster is playing at SDSU (San Diego State) in August with Mayer opening, so I plan on goin to that show. The only time I've heard Mayer is during a Cary Pierce (the singer/songwriter from Jackopierce) concert, and I was impressed. Mayer did a cover of Message in a Bottle. He's got a cool voice and I guess I'll be checkin him out when I go see GUSTER! I'll be sure to check out those songs you mentioned Dick.

Go to Top of Page

just chillin
Is Anybody Here?

13 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  5:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of mayer-

not sure if you remember fluffy, but when you guys played portland last oct. mayer played just down the street the same night a few hours before tim's show. kyle, nate, and i were there and invited him to tim's show. he said he was a big fan and was happy for the invite. john, dela and the rest of the guys really seemed to dig the show. anyway, just more randomness....Mel

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  09:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mel, that night is stuck in my head as the first night I had ever heard of John Mayer. I remember you guys running back and forth to the other show. Funny how that works. Hadn't even heard of him then, and now I got a good friend working for him. WEIRD!!

Hey Saxygrl528, Welcome aBOARD and I hope you get to see John Mayer!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

krystal
Try A Little Harder

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  3:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I met John Mayer on Friday night after his Memphis show. I have pictures too if anyone is interested. I was on the front row for his show and it rocked. I am a huge fan. Glad to hear his name circulating on this board.

Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Chatterbox

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  4:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jude,

Fluffy was right he's comming back to the Rave on July 30th, assuming it doesn't sell out before I can get tickets I'm definatly there. Maybe I'll bump into ya

3----------------------->

Isaac
Go to Top of Page

revrendmaynard14
Chatterbox

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  3:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Send revrendmaynard14 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
John Mayer reminds me and NKAD of DM.

*~Kaleigh~*
Go to Top of Page

genome
Fluffy-Esque

1098 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  3:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Mayer reminds me of Ben Harper.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like John Mayer...not as much as a like a Flaming Moe!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  6:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curse you Red Baron.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Har Har Har, I'm getting the hang of being a Flaming Moe king! Or at least a pseduo/demi-prince!

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

{=HTG=}
Alien Abductee

USA
2342 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  8:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More like a squire. I'm currently wearing the FM crown.

'HTG, are you a cute girl?'
Go to Top of Page

PJK
Alien Abductee

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  9:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHAHA.....Oh the possibilities of what FM could stand for...hehehe (I know its for Flaming Moe but something else entered my mind....ok I will just excuse myself and go right into the gutter now...hehehe)

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!"Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2003 :  01:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Funloving Moptop
Friendly Minion
Foolio Major
Fantastic Mess
Feral Mutt
Freakin' Midget
Fuckin' Moron
Foolish Minor
etc etc etc

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  10:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Foolish Mortals!

Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  11:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Field Manual
Frequency Modulation
Fathom
Fermium

these are all also abbreviated as FM

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
"THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS A CRUEL AND SHALLOW MONEY TRENCH-- A LONG PLASTIC HALLWAY WHERE THIEVES AND PIMPS RUN FREE AND GOOD MEN DIE LIKE DOGS. THERE'S ALSO A NEGATIVE SIDE..." -Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000