Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Tim's right hand(this isn't perverse either)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  1:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Tim plays acoustic fingerstyle, does he use more of a delta blues 3 finger style playing, or more of a spanish/classical guitar style using all the fingers. Anyone have a guess?

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I see him use his pinky a good bit. I don't think you can pull off some of the stuff he plays without using your pinky.
-J

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would have to disagree with you there Silky.....in almost every video I've seen Tim uses his thumb and index, middle, and ring fingers. The one song that really got me thinking about this was As far as we can see. When I first started to play it I used all 5 fingers until I saw Tim how Tim plays it, using his thumb to hit the bass notes and his 3 fingers to play the treble notes. I'm guessing where there are situations where he uses his pinky, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

Go to Top of Page

Jamie M
Chatterbox

Canada
404 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  7:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would have to disagree with you there Silky.....in almost every video I've seen Tim uses his thumb and index, middle, and ring fingers. The one song that really got me thinking about this was As far as we can see. When I first started to play it I used all 5 fingers until I saw Tim how Tim plays it, using his thumb to hit the bass notes and his 3 fingers to play the treble notes. I'm guessing where there are situations where he uses his pinky, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

I think you're right. Except I think for As Far As We Can See he actually plays the first 2 notes with his thumb then changes to the 3 fingers for the last 3 strings. Or is that what you are saying already?

Silky I think what you might be seeing is Tim's pinky moving just by reflex from moving his other fingers. I know my pinky often moves involuntarily in the same motion just from picking with my ring finger.

Go to Top of Page

dick mountjoy
Chatterbox

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  7:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Send dick mountjoy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's what I was saying, he also plants his pinky on the guitar alot the time....the 5-5-00 video is a good one to watch his fingers in action.

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  7:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Silky I think what you might be seeing is Tim's pinky moving just by reflex from moving his other fingers. I know my pinky often moves involuntarily in the same motion just from picking with my ring finger.

That could very well be it...

Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  8:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Basically, I think Tim will do anything and everything to get any and every sound out of those strings! He definetly seems to switch up styles a lot. Depends on the song, but basically I've seen him do it all.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  9:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i would have to agree with what kevin said. That's probably right that he uses everything available. i could see him using the pinky for like tremolo fast playing, but he probably goes back and forth between dif. right hand techniques, so...

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  9:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just get blown away everyTIMe he uses a pick and makes it look like he's strumming all 6 strings, but is only playing one. How does he do that? Muting? Or just practice to hit only that string?

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

there is only one answer to all these questions.... TIM IS A GUITAR GOD!!!

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a guitar god? more like THE guitar god! for those that are monotheistic at least.

Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

a guitar god... the guitar god... the creator... whatever you want to call him he is amazing!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000