pat metheny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
so anyone listen to this guy?

ye can swab the deck...but please don't write onit.

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i've heard some of his stuff with jaco pastorius and joni mitchell. he's sooo good!!! he looks like he plays really oddly though, just his fingering and picking hand, but god is he fast as shit!

Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i know. i love how lyle mays can play key bored

i'm keepin' TIMe with my own set of keys....
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
didn't pat used to play with miles davis?

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2002 :  4:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
u kno i think he did.

heads up.

sikly probably will know this. the son Dewy by the yellow jackets is a tribute to Miles Davis. very cool song.

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  04:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know, I am not the most knowlegeable guy when it comes to jazz but I have worked in record stores for a good portion of my life and I have never heard of the 2 of them working together. I will not be surprised if someone can prove me wrong, but I think I would have heard about that after all these years. John McLaughlin, TR's biggest jazz influence, played with Miles. JM actually played on some of my favorite Miles albums. Tribute to Jack Johnson in particular. I think he also played on Miles' live album Agharta, which is a spectacular album. It think it has finally come out on CD. Check it out!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
u kno i think he did.

heads up.

sikly probably will know this. the son Dewy by the yellow jackets is a tribute to Miles Davis. very cool song.

I was laughing so hard with this one! It should be:

YOU KNOW I think he did.

Heads up.

SILKY Probably will know this. The SONG Dewy by the Yellowjackets is a tribute to Miles Davis. Very cool song.

Hehehehe! You said " Sickly!"

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  2:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HA HA, you said "SLIKY"!!

And he even incorrectly abbreviated:
Capt P wrote:
quote:
u kno i think he did.

Should be: u no i think he did.

ps:Yellowjackets is one word, no space.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DAMN EDIT BUTTON!!! HEHE

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  2:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You should have NEVER showed me how to use that, Fluffy!

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  2:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HEHE, I am glad I did!! But you still left a space inbetween Yellowjackets. ????

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanx for the spell check guys

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anytime, just keeping you on your toes!

This place was alot more lax about spelling until my sis stopped by!!Speaking of, where has she been? I am sure she isn't dead, because I am sure Xar would have mentioned it if that were the case.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Captain Petersburgh
Yak Addict

Canada
779 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Captain Petersburgh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
xar and your sis. don't even joke aboot that.

Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  3:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait a second, who's your sis?

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Tericee: http://members.aol.com/tericee/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2002 :  9:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, ok thanks for the info, i've seen her posts before, just didn't make the connection until you said something.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  06:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Isn't POOH cute!!

I mean the bear, not the brown stuff!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

KevinLesko
Alien Abductee

3712 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  3:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Send KevinLesko an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring this thread back onto topic, but I was digging through some old Promo cd's at work the other night and came across a Pat Metheny cd called One Quiet Night. I threw in in to listen to, thinking it would just be some boring smooth jazz cd, but I was instantly surprised, and liked it. This cd is solo acoustic baritone guitar. Almost TR-esque but not to the level of Tim's playing.

god
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  8:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

didn't pat used to play with miles davis?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No metheny never played with miles...but john scofield and john mclaghlin did...miles didn't have too many guitars until the fusion era stuff anyways... kinda funny i'm quoting myself and correcting myself, all in the same move..

Yeah man, after a few years i've listened to more pat metheny... the album "bright sized life" is awesome!! jaco pastorius and bob moses, playing their asses off...it's def. my fav. pat metheny album...i have a few dvds with metheny on them as well...joni mitchell shadows and light, and this other one with herbie hancock, jack dejohnette, dave holland and metheny.

His more recent stuff is really tame and not really as complex as his older stuff....his newer stuff is getting on the edge of simplistic new-agey stuff...not quite, but it's getting there...

www.myspace.com/smileymnbass

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/quartet-art/id423870767

www.mattsmiley.blogpost.com
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Flaming moe for old times sake!!!

Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  11:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally someone else that loves Bright Size Life. I've listened to quite a few of Pat's CD's and I like almost all of them. However Bright Size Life is ny favorite. Probably just cause of Jaco and Pat together and all. I like Metheny the most though because of his comments about Kenny G. Hehe.

Go to Top of Page

TurnItToLove
Try A Little Harder

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2004 :  4:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit TurnItToLove's Homepage  Send TurnItToLove an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

Finally someone else that loves Bright Size Life. I've listened to quite a few of Pat's CD's and I like almost all of them. However Bright Size Life is ny favorite. Probably just cause of Jaco and Pat together and all. I like Metheny the most though because of his comments about Kenny G. Hehe.

"When Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man (Louis Armstrong) who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis’ tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible"

“And if I ever DO see [Kenny G] anywhere, at any function — he WILL get a piece of my mind, and maybe a guitar wrapped around his head.”

hehe he's funny

-Kaitlyn-
"If I was a locksmith I'd be pimping that out, I'd be like Tell you what I'll trade you a free key duplication"--mitch hedberg
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TurnItToLove

quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

"When Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man (Louis Armstrong) who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis’ tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible"

“And if I ever DO see [Kenny G] anywhere, at any function — he WILL get a piece of my mind, and maybe a guitar wrapped around his head.”

hehe he's funny

Even if pat metheny wasn't as good as he is, for saying all that stuff i have SOOO much respect for him, he rocks!

Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

Sorry to bring this thread back onto topic, but I was digging through some old Promo cd's at work the other night and came across a Pat Metheny cd called One Quiet Night. I threw in in to listen to, thinking it would just be some boring smooth jazz cd, but I was instantly surprised, and liked it. This cd is solo acoustic baritone guitar. Almost TR-esque but not to the level of Tim's playing.

I just got this cd and am about to give it a listen for the first TIMe. Starting.... now!

Wow, this thread is old but I knew it was out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Zachmozach
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1534 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  1:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya one quiet night is a good CD. That the above mentioned Bright Size Life and his work with Charlie Haden of which I can't remember the title right now, but I thought it had something to do with Missouri.

Go to Top of Page

Kenneth
Chatterbox

218 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This cd isn't my fav. It's a little too laid back for me. But to come up with all this shit in one night is pretty cool but I was expecting something.... more.
Go to Top of Page

guitarisPIMP
Yak Addict

Niue
587 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Send guitarisPIMP an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw him live at a seminar type thing not too long ago, late in the summer. He talked for about two and a half hours before even playing... but nevertheless it was definitely worth it to see him play, he's a fuckin' genius. Watercolors is a very pretty album, probably my favorite by him.

my favorite color is go fuck yourself. :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000