New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clarence_chung_zm
Is Anybody Here?

Singapore
27 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey... nice board.... anyway i wanan noe how Tim Slaps his acoustic guitar.. its like for bass.. and i can't seem to get it... i juz get chink sounds..

Peter White....

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i'll try to answer it, i'm a bass player myself, and have tried to do some bass stuff on acoustic(this might not be right though) Your thumb kinda can graze the string with a downward pluck, this gives a good slap like sound, but it isn't a fast technique. The other way is the "flea" slap, where you just kinda throw your thumb at the string and bounce it off, but it doesn't give that great of a slap tone, it is faster though.

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  6:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Basically what the second suggestion of VWF said. You need to take your thumb and strike the string and pull off quickly. Try to hit the string with the opposite side of the joint of your thumb. If you stick yout thumb out striaght, and you trace around the edge of the crease that your thumb makes when you pivot it, you will find a stop on the outer edge that's hard because of the bone. That's what you want to use. Also, you can hit the low e (the only string that you reaaly do this for) on the 12th fret to get a sort of harmonic sound. Just practice a lot and you'll eventually develop a callous there.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Go to Top of Page

victorwootenfan
Alien Abductee

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, pcbdmb nailed it i think, yeah that's most exactly right there, go for it CCZ!

Go to Top of Page

Clarence_chung_zm
Is Anybody Here?

Singapore
27 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  11:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx guys.. hope the techniques works.. and also how do u do the tremolo like Tim does on the HOB concert?

Peter White....
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2002 :  02:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey CCZ, welcome aBOARD!! I have seen TR do it hundreds of TIMes, but not being a guitar player myself feel it would be almost impossible for me to explain it in a way a guitar player(or bass player)would understand. May I suggest contacting Kyle and see about getting one of his well shot videos. He shoots them close-up so you should be able to figure it out pretty easily from watching him up close. The suggestions that the guitar players and bass players have put forth sound pretty close to what I see. TR has slaps the strings in a variety of ways depending upon the effect that he wants to achieve. I would suggest checking out a video or 2 and see if that can help you better than I could. If you are looking for how he does something in a particular song, ask Kyle if he has a video with that song on it. Maybe you will be lucky and find a video with a # of the songs you want to figure out all in one show. You can check out the setlists page at TimReynolds.com and browse the setlists and then see if kyle has a video of that particular show, or it just may be easier to contact him and tell him what you are looking for song-wise and see what he can accomodate you with. Hope this helps. Sorry I can't be of much more help on accurately describing what he does to create the effect you asked about. We do have some pretty knowledgable people here on the board and they are much more suited to answer your question. Thanx for your interest and once again, Welcome aBOARD!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000