???QUESTION???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  12:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

hey everybody i have a question. i am looking at getting my first taylor and i have found one. it is a used 414 (1997). it is in great shape (only one little laminate chip on the back of the head). it has mahogany back and sides, and spruce top. it is available to me for $750 w/ case. does this sound good to you??? i just need a little reasurance. i also had one more quick question... it has the old style of bridge on it (pinless) and i was wondering what anybody thought of this style and if there are any problems associated with it? thanks for all your suggestions and help : )

Peace
Brian

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  2:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The price sounds about right, and I can tell you from first hand experience, Taylor grand auditorium guitars are heaven. I'm not sure if it goes in the 400 series or not, but you might consider getting the "CE" model if it comes with the Fishman Prefix onboard blender. It is an awesome setup to have in there plus I love the look/utility of the venician cutaway. If nothing else, if you plan on gigging with this guitar it will save you the hassle of having to have a pickup setup installed later. Plus, to get the same system with the blender between the peizo's and the internal condenser mic outside of coming "stock" on a Taylor model is like a $450 purchase plus installation... but it doesn't factor into the price the CE model nearly that much. I've never seen a Taylor with the kind of bridge that you're talking about so I can't really say one way or another whether it is a good or a bad thing, but from what I've seen of Taylor, they don't do anything unless it's quality.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Jay
Alien Abductee

Vatican City
2279 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2002 :  3:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Jay an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i wish i had a Taylor...

Jay
My last name is confusing...It is Spelled Wiegand but is pronounced Weegend...another insult to the English language...
Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2002 :  6:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

thanks for the help silky :) but i have actually decided to wait for a different guitar. i'm looking for a 714ce. i really like the red cedar top! thanks again silky

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2002 :  7:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problem... but since you're taking a big step up in the line, you might check out the 800 series before you buy a 714... they sound VERY similar to the 700 series except they are a little brighter and clearer. The cedar top has a very rich and subdued sound, and I was an inch away from getting a 710-CE, but when I heard the brightness/clarity of the grand auditorium 800 series I fell in love right away. Plus you get an upgrade in the appearance with white binding and the progressive diamond fretboard inlays. Either way you cannot go wrong, the 700 and 800 series Taylors are both magnificent instruments!
-J

Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  12:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

thanks again silky :) i will look in to the 800 series a little more.

Peace
Brian

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2002 :  1:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No problem... didn't mean to talk your ear off! Needless to say I am an enthusiastic supporter of Taylor! I just still get excited when I think about how fun it was to pick out a new guitar... and 2 years later I still feel it is far and away the best purchase I have ever made! You gotta let us all know what you end up with!
-J

Go to Top of Page

BigEyedPhish
Is Anybody Here?

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Send BigEyedPhish an AOL message  Reply with Quote

i definately will!!! i get just as excited about taylors too, and i don't even own one. i am feverously looking and playing everything i can get my hands on. i get shivers everytime i go in to a music store and there is a taylor sitting there just waiting for me to play it

Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  12:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I played EVERYTHING when I was looking... I would recommend you do the same. In the end, it will just make you feel that much better about your purchase. And trust me, if you get shivers when you see a guitar you would die for in a music store, wait until the first time you open the case at your home and realize it's yours!
-J

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000