Artivle from CNN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  12:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I copied this without permission ... sorry ;)

By Martin Savidge
CNN

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Don't worry, I'm not giving away any state secrets here: The military base at the Kandahar Airport is like any military base the world over -- there are passwords.

And United States military passwords -- and queries thrown out to unknowns -- have come a long way from the old John Wayne World War II movie lines like "Who won the '43 World Series?"

When we first arrived, members of the media were given the passwords of the day so that in the dark of night while stumbling to the latrine, if challenged one of us could be immediately identified as "a friendly."

Sadly, the process has fallen by the wayside. I say sadly because it was often the source of some mental gymnastics.

You see, the password is supposed to be used casually in a sentence. This is done in case some "unfriendly" might overhear a single word. So each time we've been presented with the password of the day, we've practiced using it in a sentence.

I've never been tested in the heat of a "Halt! Who goes there?" way, so perhaps my casual phrase would have vanished in some frightened blurt. But I was feeling clever about my creativity until the day the password was "fibula." No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't come up with some conversational use of the word. "Is that your fibula or mine?" "Excuse me old chum, could I borrow your fibula?" "Boy, it must be fixin' to rain, my fibula's killing me!"

Dead heat
There actually are two passwords -- the challenge password ("Halt! Who goes there?") and the running password.

The running password is to be shouted if you're approaching the perimeter with a host of "hostiles" on your trail. The message to friendly forces is, "Don't shoot me, but who ever comes after me is dead meat." I find the strategy wonderfully sound and personally worrisome.

What, I asked, if I'm with a group of friendlies sprinting to safety with bad guys on our heels? Pity the poor guys who couldn't quite keep up with my fleet-footed pace. And then again, what if someone's faster than me? Is the penalty for second place death?

No, said the officer. You'd simply shout the running password as you rocketed by -- with a number indicating the total good guys running with you.

This scared me. I got into journalism in college because it was the only major that didn't require math. I can only hope that should you ever find yourself running with me into camp with the enemy to our rears that our race will end in a dead heat.

Let me rephrase that: a tie.

By the way, I once tried to investigate whether the passwords of the day were generated by humans or computers. I've never had an answer. But when American Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh was brought through the Kandahar Airport -- and the Army wouldn't confirm or deny it was him -- the following day, the password was "walker."

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dead heat
There actually are two passwords -- the challenge password ("Halt! Who goes there?") and the running password.

The running password is to be shouted if you're approaching the perimeter with a host of "hostiles" on your trail. The message to friendly forces is, "Don't shoot me, but who ever comes after me is dead meat." I find the strategy wonderfully sound and personally worrisome.

What, I asked, if I'm with a group of friendlies sprinting to safety with bad guys on our heels? Pity the poor guys who couldn't quite keep up with my fleet-footed pace. And then again, what if someone's faster than me? Is the penalty for second place death?

No, said the officer. You'd simply shout the running password as you rocketed by -- with a number indicating the total good guys running with you.

This scared me. I got into journalism in college because it was the only major that didn't require math. I can only hope that should you ever find yourself running with me into camp with the enemy to our rears that our race will end in a dead heat.

Let me rephrase that: a tie.

That whole section is funny as hell! Nice to see that there are still some people out there that don't take themselves too seriously.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thats great.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  3:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought this part was the best because a lot of my friends hate math. Maybe I should persuade them to take journalism......so they can go to war weaponless.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  3:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nah dude, they'd be armed with a press pass. Unlimited access to all areas without the risk of getting shot, molested, tortured or imprisoned ... oh wait ... that's not true.

-----------
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah....that's all we need.....Barbara Walters and Al Roker (sp?) armed with uzis and asking questions.

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  4:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, they got Geraldo over there .. he's a veteran at combat, especially chair combat tactics.

-----------
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  5:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
especially chair combat tactics.

That's the first thing I think of when I think of Geraldo... that broken nose.
-J

Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  6:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did any of you see that episode of the Daily Show? At the end, Jon says "and here it is....your moment of zen." Then they just show Geraldo reporting while the credits were rolling. I thought it was hilarious.

Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did any of you see that episode of the Daily Show? At the end, Jon says "and here it is....your moment of zen." Then they just show Geraldo reporting while the credits were rolling. I thought it was hilarious.

AHAHAHAHHAAH!! Geraldo is such a spoon.

-----------
Go to Top of Page

dirtysloth
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1302 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2002 :  9:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I saw that. I liked their interpretation of it... how they took their "reporter" and satirized the whole event.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000