Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Does the title of this story disturb anyone else?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong, I think the concept of the comic commemorating the HEROES is a wonderful idea. I just think the headline should have read "Comic Book Commemorates the HEROES of Sept 11th" not what they chose to go with. I really don't think we need to commemorate the "Sept 11th Attacks". I may just be knit picking here, but I just thought it was a bad choice of words!!

Comic Book Commemorates Sept. 11 Attacks

By RICHARD PYLE
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (Jan. 23) - Within two days after terrorist hijackers crashed two jetliners into the World Trade Center, the artists at Marvel Comics were back at work, calling on a repertoire of fantasy to depict reality.

Instead of Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Avengers, the superheroes they drew were firefighters, police officers, emergency workers and airline passengers.

The result of that joint effort is a special edition comic book, ``Heroes,'' containing 64 illustrations by more than 100 artists, colorists, writers and editors. The drawings went on display Tuesday, along with works from a second comic artists' project, ``9-11,'' at the New York City Fire Museum.

``In this you get to see what the comic medium is capable of. It's not just superheroes running around in Spandex,'' said Mike Raicht, a Marvel Comics editor, who attended the exhibit with fellow editor Andrew Lis and designer Matty Ryan.

Lis said the project began when a former Marvel comics artist, Neal Adams, called others in the field after the trade center attack and said, ``Hey, we've got to do something.'' Marvel chief editor Joe Quesada said it ``became our way of lifting bricks and mortar.''

Proceeds of the $3.50 book will go to the Twin Towers Fund to aid families of uniformed personnel killed on Sept. 11. The artists donated the original pictures to be auctioned online for Sept. 11 charities.

While the artists trained their pens on the ordinary people who performed heroically in the chaos of the terrorist attack, some of the regular Marvel superheroes are included as well.

The message was that despite their unique powers, ``our superheroes wouldn't have been able to do any more than the men and women who ran back into the falling towers, and were as powerless as everyone else as we stood and watched what happened,'' Ryan said.

Lis added: ``Despite their feats of superstrength and abilities, it's the humanity of these characters that was always appealing in the comics.''

Captain America is defiant in one picture, weeps in another and grieves above the smoldering skyline in a third. The Incredible Hulk bends down to gently retrieve a missing firefighter's helmet.

The Silver Surfer stares at a smoking Earth from a vantage point in distant space, a picture that Lis said reflected the feeling of artist Alan Davis, who lives in London, of being ``far removed'' from the events of Sept. 11.

In a poem, Marvel Comics impresario Stan Lee calls Sept. 11 a day ``when Liberty lost her heart - and found the strength within her soul.''

Some of the work is based on photographs - the now-famous picture by news photographer Tom Franklin of three firefighters raising an American flag at Ground Zero provides the theme in at least two drawings. Another hints at the iconic image of a firefighter carrying a child from the bomb-ravaged federal building in Oklahoma City.

Even in working close to reality, the creators let their imaginations roam.

Artist Frank Quitely borrowed the reclining female figure in Andrew Wyeth's famous painting ``Christina's World,'' but instead of a pastoral scene she is gazing at the mountain of rubble.

In perhaps the most mind-grabbing of the entire collection, Croatia-born artist Igor Kordey depicts passengers in the cabin of United Airlines Flight 93 making a move to overpower two knife-wielding hijackers.

The plane, the fourth one hijacked on Sept. 11, crashed near Somerset, Pa., after an apparent struggle between the passengers and their captors. The drawing does not depict any actual people aboard the plane, Lis said.

He said Kordey, who moved his family to Canada for safety after the Balkans war, was so affected by the attacks that he could not work for four days.

``He said he didn't want to draw what he thought everybody else was drawing,'' Lis said. ``The interior of the flight was very personal - the idea of terrorists - and he needed to draw the personal connection to it.''

A copy of the picture, the editors said, is part of an informal memorial near the Pennsylvania crash site.

AP-NY-01-23-02 1234EST

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I definately think a better title could have been chosen, but thanks for the information fluffy. I'm going to have to run out tonight and pick one of them up and add it to the collection of Spawn comics.

-
500 Club
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I also collect Spawn comics, but my fave is The Maxx by Sam Kieth(i before e). And it's not just because he is purple, but it doesn't hurt. HEHE I also collect Howard the Duck, Destroyer Duck, and Transmetropolitan. Those would be my faves. I was into Darkness for a little while but I got over it. I still love the artwork in that one as well as the artwork in Witchblade.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  1:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Spawn has been a long time hero of mine, I collect the comic book (I currently own anywhere from 3-6 copies of every issue and appearance), the spawn toys and other McFarlane toys as well as misc. spawn items.

Spawn rules ... I liked Lobo for a while as well, but that interest faded over a few months.

-
500 Club
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  2:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think they did a parody of LOBO once incorporating Howard the Duck called LOBO the Duck. I think I have a copy. I will have to check. I also have lots of Spawn figures and toys and the Spawn game. I was a bigtime comic collector at one time in my life. Now I barely keep up with my faves. It has gotten so expensive. Oh Well, you can't take it with you. That's my motto!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

LizT
Fluffy-Esque

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  2:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Send LizT an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Fluffy, the whole thing is still quite disturbing to me. They could have used a better choice of words.......

Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ha
quote:
Comic Book Commemorates Sept. 11 Attacks

Could they have picked a more badly worded title?

- Cresentfresh.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  12:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes they could have:

Comic Book Celebrates Sept. 11th Attacks!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Saint Jude
Alien Abductee

USA
2144 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  12:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Saint Jude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HA!

- Cresentfresh.
Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  03:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dumbass copy editors!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
schmucks.
-J

Go to Top of Page

Fluffy
Administrator

USA
10739 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  04:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Fluffy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dumbass schmucks!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
it's official. i don't care about september 11th anymore. i don't care. i'm so fucking sick of the media playing on people sentiments. i ordered a pizza yesterday. the box had a goddamn flag on it. and it said god bless america. that bothers me because a) the time for flag waving was up a long time ago. it's not helping anyone. it's clichéd. b) god didn't bless america. thousands of people died. seems more like a curse, to me. same thing goes for united we stand. i don't seem to recall standing. there was a lot of falling over, however. that comic gets two buildings down. way down.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page

Black Lotus
Fluffy-Esque

1043 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  10:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Lotus's Homepage  Send Black Lotus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the attacks on the 11th had a positive impact on the US in a way .. I mean people pulled together. It's a shame that's what it takes to get people to respect one another again. Doo bad it only lasted a few weeks, society is back to it's normal bastard self.

-----------
Trade my life for a barrel of gold.
Find someone else before I get too old.
If I live my life for aesthetic gain,
will you repay me with all your pain?
Go to Top of Page

pcbTIM
Alien Abductee

USA
6501 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  6:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit pcbTIM's Homepage  Send pcbTIM an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So what you're saying Black Lotus....is that there should be another accident?

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Go to Top of Page

Silky The Pimp
Alien Abductee

3321 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Silky The Pimp an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I don't think that's what he meant.
-J

Go to Top of Page

dan p.
Alien Abductee

Uganda
3776 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2002 :  8:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Send dan p. an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no, if there was another accident we'd have to deal with all this bullshit all over again. more people would die, there'd be more crappy tv on about it, and it'd last for months.
silky, you own my soul now with that sig.

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000