Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 01/16/2004 D&T Oakland Show

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
therippa Posted - 01/20/2004 : 11:59:22 AM
Well, on Friday I saw Dave & Friends at the Oakland Arena with a bunch of friends. What a performance! I'm listening to it right now, the first bittorrent was available on Sunday (the tapers are getting quick with it).

Anyway, Tim was in top form during the D&T and the D&F portions. His guitar was turned up and I was easily able to discern it from Trey's. It was cool that they had the screens up (which they usually don't during the D&T acoustic tours), so when Tim really started working during his solos they zoomed in on his fretboard. So, they played six D&T songs, which completely satisfied that fix.

When D&F came on, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never seen Tim play with the DMB, let alone these guys. I was really impressed...it's a lot fresher than DMB. It was weird hearing Dave play with a band and have no violin or sax in the background, but these guys had a unique sound that I preferred. Whoever that drummer is kicks ass. Dave covered a Rolling Stones song the band practiced before they came on stage...he read the lyrics off a piece of paper and danced around like Mick Jagger without his guitar! Dave could really be a true "rock star" if he wished. He also played a solo song he wrote for his twins called "Butterfly" that was really nice.

For the encores Dave & Trey played a few songs followed by two with the band. The Dave & Trey thing was fun. First they played Three Little Birds by Bob Marley. Halfway through the song the crowd was signing so loudly the just stopped singing and played while the crowd sang...I've never seen anything like it. Then they played Bathtub Gin which was a fun song.

For the final song in the encore they played Thank You by Sly and the Family Stone. At the end they all walked off the stage one by one, first Dave, then the bassist (I think), then Tim. All that was left was the drummer and Trey playing drums with him. It was nice that Trey wasn't playing guitar on the last song so Tim's was turned up on both channels. Tim finished by playing with his teeth, then putting it on the ground and just messing with it (it was his new Strat if you're curious).

It was the last show of the tour and you could feel the energy. They played for 3.5 hours (an hour more than the other shows I believe) and I haven't seen so much energy come out of Dave. The creeps over at nancies are debating if this is the best show Dave ever put on, and I've have to agree.

Download it if you can! There are three seperate torrents over at sharingthegroove.org.

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KevinLesko Posted - 01/20/2004 : 3:27:15 PM
oh yeah, and the video screens were a definate plus for me too. I loved how they put TR on screen everytime he soloed. One time they had him on screen, and he went to throw on his sunglasses right in the middle of playing... and without missing a beat.
KevinLesko Posted - 01/20/2004 : 3:25:24 PM
I hear ya... that review could easily apply to the L.A. show too. The one difference was that they didn't do 3 little birds, but the crowd did the "honey, honey, come and dance with me" during everyday to the point where they stopped playing and just let the crowd sing. Quite a magical moment.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000