Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 05/03/02 Seattle, WA Graceland

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mgodinez Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:11:27 PM
Graceland, Seattle, Wa
109 Eastlake Ave E.

Tim hit the stage right around 10:30p. The setup described earlier on the forum was the same one he was usin' that evenin'. Although his main ax was the SG & 7 String Ibanez it seemed. He opened up the show w/ the Police Bobby hat, which I thought was off the hook. And then he proceeded to tear the room open.

His new sound, at least it seems new to me, is very different. More of a sampler, synth. based sound...definitely harder. I was also amazed with the ambidextrious dexterity Tim displayed by funkin' on the keys w/ his right hand and hammerin' it to death on the SG w/ his left...simultaneously! It was advertised as a solo acoustic show, however I thought it was anything but. Tim had pre-programmed drum, bass, key tracks that were triggered by his midi syths. Not a technique I've seen Tim use at any past shows I've caught him at.

At the time of the show, I was a little taken aback by Tim's new sound. But after hearin' the MD again, it's off the hook. I read on this site that Tim was wantin' to venture forth into more of a harder sound...and lemme tell ya, even his hard shit kicks ass. The show was dampered a bit, by some of the more inebriated patrons of the establishment. At one point, one of 'em jumped up on stage and stole Tim's gas mask and little alien dude. One of the bouncers jumped into the crowd and was able to retrieve the gas mask...however I didn't see the little alien dude back on the stage. I think it got lost in the shuffle, the bouncer probably did not notice it in the first place. But I was stading at the edge of the stage, about 5ft. in front of Tim. So I was privy to the entire sad event. I only bring it up, because I see the little alien dude in the flash promos on this site. I wonder if Tim has spare alien dudes or if this one had somesort of sentiment...I would say that I've already put too much thought into it.

mgodinez.

Seattle, Wa
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 05/22/2002 : 03:21:48 AM
Easy........kill them.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Fluffy Posted - 05/21/2002 : 9:11:53 PM
Hey mgodinez, Glad to have you here!! I don't like using the word oversees the board, I prefer to think of myself as an equal member. Jon Soldo actually runs the board but he takes alot of input from me. I hope to be the link that brings TR a little closer to the fans so he doesn't seem out of reach. I was the guy onstage with the digital camera. I was standing to the left of TR for the beginning of the show and laid on the floor to his right for the rest of the show. Thanx for the glowing review and sorry for the drunk assholes, I wish there was something we could do about them.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
tericee Posted - 05/14/2002 : 10:09:35 PM
At the HOB show I spoke to Rew, who said the security guys at Graceland were able to save both the gas mask AND sister. And she was right up in her traditional spot during Tim's set. YAY!!

teri

p.s. Fluffy is Tim's tour manager (and my brother).
mgodinez Posted - 05/13/2002 : 5:12:46 PM
Don't mean to beat this topic to death...however...

Yeah, my sis in law was standin' right next to the drunk dude's girlfriend. And yeah, she kept eggin' him on to grab the little alien dude and the gas mask. I hope 'sister' exonerates the appropriate amount of karma on her and her intoxicated man. The dude obviously wussied out and waited 'till Rew left the stage, before he made his move. I was thinkin' what the hell was up w/ the house security, dude must've stood up there for a good 20-30 sec before the house bouncers came out. Tim seemed a little freaked, understandably.

Other Comments on this topic:

So great to see someone quote the might SadHappy!!! I love them!!

I'm a Huge, Huge SadHappy fan. Unfortunately, as you may know, Paul, Evan and Michael are no longer together. Evan and Michael tried to come back under the name sadha, w/o the P for paul...but that dissonating wall of bass was too much of a void to fill...in my humble opinion. It would be great to see Paul Hinklin and Tim together...as Tim's new stuff seems more apt to Paul's heavy, speed metal sound. But I'm sure every Tim fan wants to see there other favorite musicians w/ him.

Ps: Someone mentioned that this show was advertised as Solo Acoustic. If so, that is the fault of the venue and local promoter. We were very clear when booking the shows that everyone involved was aware of it being a SOLO ELECTRIC tour.

Yeah, the seattle times entertainment section had listed Tim's show as solo acoustic. Not that I really cared, any chance to see Tim is a chance that cannot be missed. I mean he could've been playin' spoons and I would've been there...well maybe not spoons but you get the idea, but I bet his spoon playin' kicks ass was well.

How long were you standing right in front of Tim? I remember a guy dead center against the stage for the begining of the show...really looked like he was loving the music.

That may have been me. I was directly to Tim's right, standing right in front of his right pan monitor. I was the dude w/ the hand held mic and MD...although my recordin' came out like shit due to these drunk assholes bein' all over it. I should've been marketed as

"Tim Reynolds Solo Set and 2 Drunk Assholes"

Also, that must've been Fluffy standing to my left w/ the digi camera. Bein' new to this list, I'm not sure who every is. Fluffy, you seem to have a personal, if not a business relationship w/ Tim. Do you oversee this site?

m.godinez

Seattle, Wa
Fluffy Posted - 05/13/2002 : 10:25:35 AM
Ps: Someone mentioned that this show was advertised as Solo Acoustic. If so, that is the fault of the venue and local promoter. We were very clear when booking the shows that everyone involved was aware of it being a SOLO ELECTRIC tour. I apologize that you were misled and am glad you liked the show despite the confusion. Suffice it to say, I don't think everyone was on the same page with this show. Just look at the confusion with set times and age restrictions. Things were changing at the very last minute. It was crazy!! But hey, Thats Rock and Roll!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 05/13/2002 : 10:21:01 AM
So great to see someone quote the might SadHappy!!! I love them!! As for Sister, she disappeared that nite. Rew unfortunately had taken a quick break from his vigil at side of stage when the drunk frat jumped up onstage. The gas mask was retrieved, unfortunately Sister was not. Luckily, Rew had a spare. The history of Sister is a long and complex one. Suffice it to say, I think Rew found a bag of about 5 sisters in a truck stop. He has given away a couple and we lost one at the Boom Boom Room in SF on the last tour. We went back to look for it the next day, but to no avail. Skip forward to Seattle and we were down to 2 Sisters. Rew had been watching this particularly aggressive jerk for a while and so had house security. I speculate that when he saw Rew disappear for a minute he took his chance. Rew said he thinks he had heard the jerks girlfriend begging him to get her the little alien guy. So I think he saw his chance and did. Luckily we had another and Sister has not missed a show.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 05/11/2002 : 8:36:09 PM
ummmmmm....Liz K, tericee, Evergreen, krystal,.......

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
genome Posted - 05/11/2002 : 7:01:30 PM
This is really weird...aren't there now officially have two 15 year old girls on the board? I mean, hardly any other women that will post (I know there are lots signed up...) but the two that do are both the same young age? How weird.

revrendmaynard14 Posted - 05/11/2002 : 6:55:22 PM
That's really rude that some drunk a**hole would take Sister, If I was TIM I'd be quite angry.

*~Kaleigh~*
dontpokemybigeyedfish Posted - 05/09/2002 : 05:01:41 AM
I remember that drunk asshole jumping onstage and grabbing the gas mask and Sister. I think I saw him on my way out...was temped to kick him in the balls, but being a 15 year old girl, I didn't think that would have worked out too well. mgodinez, I think I felt the same way about the show as you did. The harder stuff was new to me, but I loved every second of it, minus the drunk guys and the bastard who jumped onstage. Definitely an impressive and fun show. Can't wait to see Tim again.

How long were you standing right in front of Tim? I remember a guy dead center against the stage for the begining of the show...really looked like he was loving the music. Was probably you. I was up on the stage, to Tim's right. Great view of everything, and I didn't have to deal with drunk guys Thanks again Fluffy.

genome Posted - 05/09/2002 : 12:42:50 AM
I am TOTALLY kidding by the way. I haven't even been to see TIM, much less Sister.

genome Posted - 05/09/2002 : 12:41:34 AM
So...

Anybody want to buy an alien?...

here's a picture...

Evergreen Posted - 05/08/2002 : 5:15:58 PM
Thanx for the review it was great and OH-MY-GOD....did they steal Sister! I'd say this is a job for that swarm of bees we were talkin about. Let's kick some ass. Unless Rew already did! I smell burning flesh!

mgodinez Posted - 05/08/2002 : 1:14:14 PM
A lot of people would have been easily turned off by the unexpected difference in music, but I'm glad you had an open mind.

Well, I have to admit that initially I was a little thrown by Tim's new sound. But man, it grows on you. Like most of Tim's music (for me anyways), it's not an instant gradification kinda thang...but rather something that takes a few listens to really try and understand what Tim is doin'. Forgive me, my mind opens up slowly.

mgodinez, yes, the alien (Sister) does have sentimental value. I believe it came about due to Rew (the ... I don't know what he does...set stuff up, whatever that's called) once was setting up, and he just taped the alien to the mic. Ever since then, at every show (I believe) Rew has put the Alien there. Tim says that's who sings for him on songs with no written lyrics. Its a pretty cool deal.

Yeah, I had a feelin' that 'Sister' had special relevance to Tim...on a creative level yet. I have a feelin' that drunk bastard at the show made off w/ 'Sister'...or probably dropped it, when the bouncer was wrestlin' the gas mask away from him. Yeah, it was a really uncool scene...I mean why would you want to take something that's not your to begin with anyways...and especially to take it from someone whose tryin' to create, and then disrupt his creative process on some level. "Alcohol...make yourself more attractive to people around you" (Quote Paul Hinklin, SadHappy).

Thanks for sharin' the story of 'Sister'. I guess I'm gettin' a little tini bopperish here, but it's cool to hear about Tim's creative process and music life.

mgodinez.

Seattle, Wa
Baboonboy Posted - 05/07/2002 : 11:04:33 PM
In Portland there was an alien, but I don't think it was sister...

ICQ - 578587
AIM - bluwaterbaboon
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:40:14 PM
mgodinez, I am sooo glad to hear someone go into a concert expecting one thing, but come out happy with another. A lot of people would have been easily turned off by the unexpected difference in music, but I'm glad you had an open mind.

And as for someone stealing Sister.... I don't even know what to say.

mgodinez, yes, the alien (Sister) does have sentimental value. I believe it came about due to Rew (the ... I don't know what he does...set stuff up, whatever that's called) once was setting up, and he just taped the alien to the mic. Ever since then, at every show (I believe) Rew has put the Alien there. Tim says that's who sings for him on songs with no written lyrics. Its a pretty cool deal.

So to answer your question...I find it doubtful that TIM has spare aliens in his basement, at least of the microphone variety like Sister. That's a damn shame if that bastard got away with her.

-what-
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:27:18 PM
I can't believe someone would steal sister... that is not even cool.

pcbTIM Posted - 05/07/2002 : 9:22:26 PM
Holy shit!!! Sister was stolen?!?!?!

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000