Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Show Reviews
 04/29/02 Salt Lake City, UT X-Scape

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalin Posted - 05/01/2002 : 1:41:03 PM
So I finally got to see Tim for the first time. Finally. When I was waiting in line to go, tons of people were talking about DMB and how they hoped Tim would play this or that -- all DMB songs. All of the radio advertisements I heard say, "Tim Reynolds: Guitarist for the Dave Matthews Band," so I think a lot of people were mislead. Plus, the club was all ages, so a wider range of people came. They audience was pretty lame -- they either talked the whole time or yelled stupid stuff. There was one drunk guy and another white kid with an afro that kept yelling stupid stuff like, "Yea Dave!" or "This is shit!" I just stood there in awe at Tim's guitar playing. He only played a couple of acoustic songs, but when he did the crowd went nuts. He played them on a classical guitar, which was interesting. He also played his Les Paul, SG Gothic, and an Ibanez seven string. I, and the other hardcore fans upfront, thought the show was amazing! Tim had tons of drumbeats going, synths, and guitars. He even played the keyboard and the guitar at the same time. He even sang some songs off of Astral Projection, which I wasn't expecting at all (Indoctrinate, Backdoor, Put the Gas Mask on, Skeleton walls -- those are the only ones I remember). A lot of people left throughout the night because I don't think it was what they were expecting at all. Tim also sang a couple of other songs I had never heard before. He started the show by coming out in this old school police hat and piece of tape over his mouth. He rocked out and then took it off to sing Indoctrinate. It was definately one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen. I seriously just stood there with mouth open just staring at Tim do his thing. It was incredible. But I can see how some people wouldn't like it, namely the ones thinking he was going to play mostly acoustic. Afterwards I was able to hang out and meet Tim and get him to sign some stuff. He's a cool guy. Really friendly. I didn't realize how short Tim was until I stood next to him. I also met Fluffy. I didn't talk to him much, but he seemed like a cool cat to me. He even took our picture for the website. I think the best thing about TR is that he doesn't give a shit what anybody thinks. He make an album and put it out for free on the internet. Then he'll go on tour and play whatever the hell he wants. It's so good to see someone these days who doesn't give a crap about popularity and has such high standards of musical integrity. Though his show may not have gone over all that well with the audience, I have all the respect in the world for him for doing what he wants to do. Hopefully the Vegas date will be up soon so we can head down to that one too.
The opening act was amazing too. His name was Marcus Eaton and he did a solo act of guitar and singing. His guitar playing was incredible. Watch out for this guy: I seriously think he is going to be big. He has album coming out next month on RCA, so look for it.

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/03/2002 : 11:55:36 AM
Like I said... I cannot wait to see this new stuff. And I would just like to go on record as to say that I hate all those that get to see him before I do, because all you're doing is delaying his arrival in the southeast. You are all bastards. That is all.
-J

Fluffy Posted - 05/03/2002 : 09:20:14 AM
Pretend for a minute that this is a review of the SLC UT show as well:
quote:
Before any of you Tim fans go to see his new concert, I have to let you know that it is not impressive at all. Unfortunately I just found out last night that his tour was in Boulder, CO. and I drove an hour and a half from Greeley to see him. He only picked up an acoustic guitar for one song and it was a classical. About 2/3 of the audience left before the show was even half over and the rest of us that stayed just to see if he would pick up the acoustic again and paly anything worth waiting for, but he never did. The entire concert is full of easy Butt-rock riffs played over techno and synthesized effects. The only reaction he recieved from the crowd was blank stares. NO solo's, no bad-ass Tim Reynolds styles, no nothing. I guess this is where his music is heading, which is unfortunate because he is so gifted. But he showed nothing of this last night, and his opening act (Doug Baker) was the most enjoyable part of the show. He definately lost some fans last night and probably won't get them back until he tours with Dave again. Rob

Can you see how 2 people in the same room might see the same show and come away with 2 totally different views of it? Really brings new meaning to the tour name CHAOSVIEW!! HEHE Keep in mind, even though they saw 2 different shows, they are basically describing the same show. 2 opposing views of the same show. I read both reviews and it makes me want to see the show even more. I always talk about looking beyond what is handed to you, or in this case written to you. Learn to read between the lines and make your own decisions. A bad review can be just as informative as a good one. It is more important what you are looking for. Don't let one persons opinion or view skew your decision one way or another. Think about what you read and see if there is something in the words written that speak to you. That is all I ask, take all the information offered you and think for yourself.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 05/03/2002 : 09:14:03 AM
Dalin, Thanx for the glowing review! You seem to get it and that is a beautiful thing. If TR gets his point across to even 1 in the crowd, he has accomplished what he set out to do. It was a pleasure meeting you as well and hope to see you on our next trip thru Salt Lake.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/03/2002 : 12:01:50 AM
Yeah, I can hardly wait....

Now, if I could only get my camcorder to go with me out there.....

-what-
KevinLesko Posted - 05/02/2002 : 11:31:41 PM
haha, I think every review so far has made mention of that Police Hat, I gotta see this for myself, it sounds great, gotta love Tim's getups!

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/01/2002 : 10:14:12 PM
hell yea

KevinLesko Posted - 05/01/2002 : 10:11:42 PM
Thanks for the great review Dalin! After reading that I'm more excited than ever to see the CA shows! Glad to hear what a great time you had!

pcbTIM Posted - 05/01/2002 : 1:45:57 PM
Glad you had fun! Sounds like the usual crowd to me. That does suck that they misinformed everyone over the radio though. But at least some people enjoyed it!

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000