Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Video of me playing Kundalini--->Stream

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Offspring Posted - 07/22/2005 : 7:19:48 PM
here is a video of my playing my own version of Kundalini Bonfire---->Stream

Enjoy!!!

Any comments?

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2H6FHW8KRFPZR0JQDZG8I6QVJF
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dan p. Posted - 07/26/2005 : 11:22:17 PM
nice over all. i'm not trying to be hard on you here, because the song is plainly there. these are just some tips.

i'd check your tuning, firstly. and not just for tuning's sake. if you're nervous or something, just take a second and check the tuning. it might calm you down a little. also it helps to pause a second before playing. sort of frame the piece.

at around 1:25 or so, when you move on the 6th string from what looks like either 4 or 5 to 1, try not to lift your index finger when using your ring finger. when you do that, there's sort of a little space between the notes. maybe if you used your pinky, that would help. you can do it faster and smoother if you leave the index finger down. it eliminates space. that holds true for pretty much all pull offs. plant the finger or fingers on the lowest note of the pull off/trill, whatever, and then actually pull off to it. otherwise it's just sort of a reverse hammer-on, and you lose some of the last note.

your right hand is obviously very fast and even. i think your rhythm glitches, and most of your problems, come from the left. seems like in stream, you're loosing a lot of the melody notes. it's obvious you have it in your muscle memory. you know where the fingers go. but sometimes they're just not making it. try keeping your fingers closer to the fretboard. curve them more. they way they don't have to scramble to get where they belong. that might also solve some of the ringing open notes that rattle sometimes in kundalini.

if you want to do practice some of these things, chances are you'll need to bump the ol' metronome down to do so. and that's good, because if you can play them slow, than it helps you understand the song on more levels than just muscle memory.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 07/26/2005 : 8:35:23 PM
You've definitely got some skill... I'd just slow it down to where you can play it a little more accurately and be sure to get the hybrid picking part down rather than just strumming over it. In Kundalini just watch those bends. Dunno if you were looking for tips... nice job though.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 07/26/2005 : 10:38:15 AM
It seems like you are trying to play to fast for your own good. You clearly know what you're playing, you aren't giving the guitar enough time to make the music for you. Trying stepping it down a few BPMs are let those strings ring a bit.
lozthegreat Posted - 07/24/2005 : 1:59:18 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I really liked the kundalini bonfire, i gotta learn that one.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 07/23/2005 : 10:06:19 AM
yah I agree with guitarispimp -the tuning kinda distracted me from the playing just a bit.
The only advice I would offer would be to try and absorb the song, interpret it, and dish out your own ideas with the playing. When I first started playing TR stuff, I wanted to sound like his recordings note for note, but it didn't sound natural (like he does) because they weren't my ideas. You clearly have the chops to pull it off, but might preserve a little more of the flow if you didnt' pay as much attention to the exact riffs TR plays. just a thought.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 07/23/2005 : 01:21:19 AM
On the stream melody the picking is off at some points but still very enjoyable. Don't take it personally, it's constructive criticism. I think if you had a better tuned guitar and the melody part was cleaned up it would sound fuckin sick-nasty.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 07/23/2005 : 12:57:33 AM
Looks good to me.

You've got the harmonics thing down, dontcha?

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000