Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Does tim have any studio out-takes?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erich Posted - 03/10/2005 : 12:12:09 PM
I honestly wouldnt doubt it if tim does his studio stuff in one take, but it would be interesting to hear if he had any out-takes that werent used. Like if he tried a few takes of Wayfarer or Los Alamos befre settling on one.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erich Posted - 04/15/2005 : 6:46:27 PM
hey, wow, i didnt see your response fluffy. thanks for the insight! makes me excited for all the new stuff tim wants to release
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/24/2005 : 2:21:50 PM
Thanks for the insight, Fluffy. Can't wait for Parallel Universe.
Fluffy Posted - 03/24/2005 : 02:30:06 AM
Generically speaking here, as opposed to addressing each comment specifically, TR really doesn't have alot of outtakes. Certainly not studio outtakes. The process works something like this(near as I can ascertain from talking to TR and working in the studio with him). TR does a number of things at his home studio. He lays down rough outlines and simple ideas that come to him and when he has TIMe he goes back to flesh them out. Those would basically be considered by most as noodling or just riffs. TR has told me that a few songs grew out of a few different parts he had lying around. Ergo alot of the home recordings wouldn't really be considered "SONGS" in the conventional sense of the word. TR refers to them as ideas that need to be fleshed out. They would certainly not be anything he would want to have out there for public consumption, they are more "works in progress". He also does alot of home recordings but he doesn't record a variety of versions. He usually just does one recording of a song and then he compiles them onto CDs and then he listens to them and decides what he wants to unleash upon the public. There are most likely very few, if any, alternate versions to be had. This also holds true in a similar fashion in the studio. When I was there with TR he has the tracks he is working on and no extraneous recordings. What you hear on "Parallel Universe" is what was recorded. There were not different versions of the same song or anything like that. In a few cases, TR would go away with a mix of a song and listen to it for a while and go back and maybe put some fine tuning on the mix, but if he changed the mix it was because he was unhappy with the sound of that mix and would prolly not want to foist the alternate mix on the public. Plus the kind of changes I am talking about are quite subtle and wouldn't really warrant releasing an alternate mix of it. It's simple things like the bass up a bit more in this or that part, his vocal a bit quieter or louder, etc etc etc. Things most of us would never even notice from one mix to the next. TR has a fairly solid idea of what he wants so he just goes in there and does it, and the rest is just finishing touches. So really there isn't anything to be had. Having said that, there are recordings that TR sometimes brings on a tour of things he has recorded at home and he listens to them in search of what he considers relevant(for lack of a better word). If I understand correctly, disc 2 of the Parallel Universe set is such a disc. It is a distillation of tracks that TR has decided to release from a larger batch of home recordings. I guess the ones he feels are pertinent to his musical journey. He has talked to me about having so many home recordings that he hopes to at some point make more of them available either by internet or lower priced releases in form of CD's like The Offering in simpler packaging that won't cost so much to produce. As TR has told me on many occasions recently he has really had a wellspring of creativity in the last year and has alot of music recorded that he would like to get out to the public as cheaply as possible. Just to have it out there. So I think most recordings will eventually see the light of day, but I wouldn't really call them outtakes. TR tries to create albums that flow, you know, like he envisions them. He doesn't just want to throw out a CD of recordings without figuring out tracking order and things like that. Hopefully we will see some other releases down the road that encompass everything TR has been working on in the past year, but I would not call them outtakes. He really doesn't have alternate versions and what we commonly think of as outtakes. Keep in mind it isn't so much a matter of not wanting people to hear them, he just wants people to hear them the way he intended them to be heard and another factor is money. TR as an independent artist foots the bill for all these pressings. He can't just afford to release CD after CD because it takes money to press and package these CD's. Hopefully "Parallel Universe" will be a smashing success and he will have lots of money lying around to release all the other stuff he would like to get out there. He has been in quite a prolific period of his career and there is lots of music he wants to share with the world. Give him TIMe and hopefully we can work out an inexpensive way to share the music with all of you. It's coming, BUT I wouldn't call it OUTTAKES!!!
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/21/2005 : 12:18:09 PM
Yah, a lot of Beatles outtakes on the Anthology albums are really cool. Although Tim outtakes would smoke the Beatles by a long shot.
KevinLesko Posted - 03/21/2005 : 11:54:45 AM
I have no idea if there are out-takes, or b-sides that are saved in TR's studio, but if TR were to ever remaster and re-issue some of the older stuff, that would be a perfect place to add a bonus track or two, since that seems to be a growing trend in the music industry. Fleetwood Mac reissued Rumors last year year with an entire 2nd disc of out-takes, and I really enjoyed hearing some alternate takes, and different mixes to songs that I knew... it is almost like a re-birth for the songs.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/10/2005 : 12:52:56 PM
I would think Tim's outtakes are like Thelonious Monk's outtakes, just as fucking amazing, but not quite what they wanted. That'd be a cool as hell album...Tim's Acoustic Outtakes Vol. 1, not that that's a good name for it.

The Wayfarer is the song I hear Tim fuck up more live than any other track I think, just on that part where he plays that huge 5 fret stretch chord between the 3rd and 7th frets, he misses the G on the high E string sometimes; it's a bitch to land. Kind of nice to know even the best tweak out sometimes. Although, the fact that I am 6' and Tim is 5'3" or whatever stands to reason that his hands are a bit smaller than mine...which is what makes him even more amazing and me more of poop.

I was too drunk when I shook his hand to remember how big it was...I'll have to bring my guitar again to that Brooklyn show, so I can at least get a picture of him with it this time...I am so dumb. Sorry to ramble. POST ON!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000