Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 tim right hand

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jorgy Posted - 07/28/2004 : 04:34:33 AM
simple question. why does tim lots of time use his pointer finger (the first i think) to play the high E string when he could possibly use his ring (third?) finger? Is it habbit? preference? better tone?
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stephen Posted - 08/25/2004 : 01:19:26 AM
Robert Fripp of King Crimson is almost completely the opposite. The guy holds his pick exactly like you would be taught in a book and plays with the minimal ammount of motion possible. And he never strays from this of picks up bad habits because he practiced(and I assume still practices) holding the guitar pick.

Erich Posted - 08/24/2004 : 4:25:59 PM
Mark Knopfler, one of my favourite guitarists and definatly one of te most underated, anchors his ring and pinky fingers to the body and fingerpicks his solos with the remaining three. the way his solos resonate though, prime example being Sultans of Swing, make it all the more facinating.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 08/24/2004 : 3:54:39 PM
The previously mentioned guitarist Derek Trucks plays only with fingerpicking. Tim is the same way, with minor exceptions on his more fast songs, so I'm guessing this technique is just another quirky trait among genius fingerpickers (or big-handed rockers). But looking back, many of the greats (and not-so-greats) have picked up quirky traits about their playing (ex. only down-plucking with a pick, or perhaps an odd way of holding the pick). I guess what I'm rambling about is really just that guitarists all have old habits, and well, "Old habits die hard."
Arthen Posted - 08/19/2004 : 6:36:14 PM
He's been above those for years.
Erich Posted - 08/19/2004 : 3:03:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jorgy

what kind of songs do you bang?

Im sure Fluffy prefers to bang classy songs. He doesnt seem the type to go for the two bit whore songs.
Jorgy Posted - 08/19/2004 : 05:00:48 AM
what kind of songs do you bang? Ever attempt tim's?
Zachmozach Posted - 08/18/2004 : 10:16:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

TR probably makes some killer Mac&Cheese, then...

Jay Posted - 08/18/2004 : 10:09:23 PM
TR probably makes some killer Mac&Cheese, then...
rubylith Posted - 08/18/2004 : 10:39:39 AM
i heard fluffy taught tim everything he knows.....

Fluffy Posted - 08/18/2004 : 05:09:38 AM
LOL, well I bought one and I bang on it but it certainly does not mean I know what I am talking about when it comes to playing guitar.
Jorgy Posted - 08/18/2004 : 04:30:49 AM
hey fluffy. I thought I remember a post about you going to start to play the guitar a little? Or am I just making shit up in my head again?
Fluffy Posted - 07/30/2004 : 10:38:49 PM
Hey guys, I think Erich is prolly most on the mark here. As I was reading the thread I was thinking the exact same thing but was contemplating whether I should answer or not as I am neither a bass player or guitar player. As you can imagine I have seen TR perform many TIMes and it always struck me that he had a fingering style much like a bass player but that never surprised me since he started out as a bass player. I would also add that it also crossed my mind that since TR is self-taught it may just be the way he first did it and it worked for him so he stuck with it. I imagine the true answer lies somewhere inbetween those two thoughts. As we know, TR loves to incorporate bizarre styles and unique approaches, not so much on a conscious level, but in trying to bring out new and unique sounds or just trying to find the sound he hears in his head. blah blah blah I have no idea what I am talking about, I am rambling, someTIMes I think I just like to hear myself talk........
rubylith Posted - 07/29/2004 : 09:13:05 AM
haha nice posts...

its probably just how he plays...
Tim can do whatever he wants and there will be a least a slight genius to it...
dan p. Posted - 07/29/2004 : 01:03:10 AM
yeah, but they're functional, in their own way. i guess.
Arthen Posted - 07/28/2004 : 10:01:11 PM
I had been blaming Dave's weird fingering's on drugs.
Erich Posted - 07/28/2004 : 4:52:00 PM
i think its cause he started off with the bass, not the guitar. the index finger is used to pick a lot while the thumb is used to slap, and as im sure you picked up, tim likes slapping it with his thumb.

yeah, i left that comment wide open
CPPJames Posted - 07/28/2004 : 4:28:06 PM
No doubt about the James Taylor comment...and just as a general plug, I'm a big fan. All that aside, people that are self-taught, tend to have entirely different approaches to some things. Dave is a reasonable example...he has some of the funkiest fingerings/chords I've seen, but it works. Personally, I figured it out for myself in terms of the physical aspect...to this day, I still play open D with an entirely different fingering then normal because it just felt more comfortable to me. Later, you realize why people do it the "normal" way...because some chord shifts are a bitch, but you work around it I guess.
thomasode Posted - 07/28/2004 : 2:19:17 PM
I've seen Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks doing this alot aswell. But with them its only with slide
Macht Posted - 07/28/2004 : 1:01:37 PM
I would just think that's how he started playing the high e string.

It also could effect the tone, since there is a it more reach involved it go be a more pluck like sound
Arthen Posted - 07/28/2004 : 12:50:30 PM
He has transcended normal guitar technique. Maybe he just started off doing it, and then just kep doing it.

Have you seen the way James Taylor does certain fingerings? Those are crazy too.
dan p. Posted - 07/28/2004 : 12:28:35 PM
you know, i never paid all that much attention to it, having only seen him twice. i have to say, though, using index on the high string instead of ring gnarles both the hand and mind. but, tim's obivously the man, so any way he does it is fine. it's not like it's affecting his playing.
PJK Posted - 07/28/2004 : 10:06:51 AM
HAHAHAHAHA, guitarted, you are too much! Sorry I can't answer your question for you Jorgy, but I am sure there is someone here who can, maybe Erich, Kevin, Fleabass, Rubylith, or Fluffy?
guitarted Posted - 07/28/2004 : 09:23:37 AM
Oh man, I thoguht this thread was about something Tim uses his right hand for when he's NOT playing guitar.

You mean his INDEX finger?
- I don't know... but I would like to hear what other ppl have to say
Jorgy Posted - 07/28/2004 : 04:39:32 AM
ps sorry for the poor grammmer.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000