Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 An Apprecation of TR pre-DM Part 1

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lev Posted - 07/06/2004 : 6:29:28 PM
I first met Tim around 1984-1985 as a fledgling musician and student at University of Virginia, Charlottesville. At the time, I was a pretty hot guitarist for my age (18) and due to round the clock practicing, I had no social life except for fraternity parties with live music. A regular around town was TR3 and my first time was at Sigma Nu, the Dead-type house, who hired the hipper bands. TR3 was Tim's rock outfit -- the first time I saw them play included an instrumental Police tune and Marley. Being young and impressionable, I of course was blown away by Jos (Robert Jospe/drums), Ron (bass), and of course, Tim. I was new to the whole music thing and he was the first guitarist I ever met who was "living the life." As I got into jazz, I began going to PAV IX, the student lounge. It featured a weekly jam session with saxophonist Mike Cogswell (a great player and even more beautiful human being), Tim, Skinny Brown (funky RandB drummer with quite a fro), and Ron (bass). It was common for Tim to play jazz on a little white Strat, have an Egyptian astrology book next to or on his amp, and be wearing sunglasses in the shape of stars. Tim would be the first to admit that he isn't a "jazz" player but damn, he could fake it better than most real jazzers. he played some complex f----up lines on tyhat little strat witha very clean and percussive tone. Over time, I got to know Tim. He used to drive, if memory serves, a beat up old brown SAAB. He might of even lived in that for a bit (I could be wrong!). Beleive it or not, I was told that Tim had served in Nam or something like that and was one of those cats that crawled around tunnels???? Probably all just silly stuff. I took a few lessons off Tim. He charged the whopping price of $10 per hour. He showed me chord melody, walking bass lines like Joe Pass, and gave me his Joe Pass book of jazz lines. I saw Tim at Anna's Pizza #9 with his girlfriend. I used to say to her how great Tim was but he used to say "that's what they tell me". She didn't quite get it but she was still very cool and intellectual. Later, he met Diane at Miller's. She was a very pretty bartender/waitress but also down to earth and a music fan. She got it! Keep in mind, this was all pre-DM. I had a band called Interplay and Boyd Tinsley sat in with us several times. I played "Misty" with him for the first time near his apartment on Rugby Road. Belive me, he was not all muscles like he is now. He used to wear lots of black and was actually tall and skinny. He was nice and always willing to jam. back to Tim -- After I graduated, I moved home to Richmond. I hired Tim (on bass), trumpeter John D'Earth (another big influence on me as I was in UVA big band), and a drummer. They all came to my house and we reherased XMAS tunes for a gig at Virginia Power. We jammed in the Atrium there. Last year when Tim was at the Ram's Head in Annapolis, I walked in after the show (I have a regular THURS night gig) and he recognized me immediately after nearly ten years. Felt great, I have to say. He gave me all the new CDs and I gave him mine. I met Fluffy who is a prince. I leraned from Tim what it means to live the music life with complete dedication. More imprtantly, Tim showed me that music need not have borders. I could see him jamming at a frat party on some Jimi and then seeing him the next night playiong some subtle jazz. One of my last memories and fondest was when I played at Miller's and Tim checked me out and told me I was a "real" jazz player. I take that as a compliment. Tim always appreciated people that studied. Tim was the first and one of the greates guitarist I ever came to know and in this little town where he ws local legend and that was all and seemed to be enough. He was always happy doing his thing. Finally, Once I lent him a tape of Yngwie. He gave it back to me and the next week he had those sweep arpggios going berserk! Music is life itself.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CPPJames Posted - 07/07/2004 : 4:09:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mave Datthews 85

oh, fuck you james.

i guess i'm 1 of those 10 people who just don't understand binary.

I do what I can =).
Mave Datthews 85 Posted - 07/07/2004 : 4:07:24 PM
yah i thinks i gots it now.
Mave Datthews 85 Posted - 07/07/2004 : 2:56:37 PM
oh, fuck you james.

i guess i'm 1 of those 10 people who just don't understand binary.
CPPJames Posted - 07/07/2004 : 1:58:27 PM
That's definitely a cool story, one of the more interesting ones I've heard...thanks for posting!

Might wanna repost that image without a local path, Mave .
Mave Datthews 85 Posted - 07/07/2004 : 1:20:43 PM

damn... i hope i get to tell stories like that some day! awesome story, rob. seriously thanks for sharing.
Arthen Posted - 07/07/2004 : 04:31:31 AM
That's a fantastic story and totally reinforces my belief that Tim is one of the most down to earth muiscian that I've ever heard of.

Thanks for sharing that man.
TurnItToLove Posted - 07/06/2004 : 10:04:33 PM
awesome post and even more wicked awesome story :thumbs up:
Zachmozach Posted - 07/06/2004 : 8:38:32 PM
Sweet action! Good to hear from you and the early Tim stories. I really hope you stick around. This reminds me when I went to see Tim when he was here in oregon and after the show I exchanged a few words with some lady that used to go to see him at miller's. She had nothing but good things to say about him. Seems like that's how it is with everyone who knows Tim personally is that they have nothing but good things to say about him.
lev Posted - 07/06/2004 : 7:52:58 PM
Just choking on my own typos -- Tim never said "that's what they tell me" -- hios girlfriend said that, and not in a consdescending way. I don't think I ever heard Tim brag or make a negative remark about anyone, let alone another musician. I think I'll quit while ahead. I read the post below about does Tim teach. Well, I did take lessons with him and what he really did was "show". He didn't write stuff out, but trust me, just checking it out was very valuable! As far as a teaching goes, John McLaughlin just released a three DVD set on his music. It's expensive but worth it.
lev Posted - 07/06/2004 : 7:34:19 PM
Please pardon my horrible spelling, I was typing quick!!!
Erich Posted - 07/06/2004 : 6:36:01 PM
holy shit dude, thats awesome. i need to read more of this later, but welcome aboard and please stick around, its nice to see musicians on musicians, especialy our beloved tim. cheers

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000