Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 question for all you Tim fans out there

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
perrinbar Posted - 07/19/2003 : 10:05:12 PM
couple of questions actually.

first off do you think Tim is better acoustic or electric for a first timer?

second off how many Tim fans have seen him play with Dave Matthews, either just the two or the whole band?

and thirdly does anybody know of someone as amazing as Tim on the guitar? the man really does blow my mind

This is my second post, I'm both a fan of Tim and a fan of Dave. I will see Tim once he comes back to Cali! and hopefully I will see him many times before it is all said and done.

Peace.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KevinLesko Posted - 07/24/2003 : 5:56:38 PM
Going back to the original questions of the topic:

I started off with Puke Matrix as my first cd so it was electric that got me into TR and it is what I still prefer to this day, although I dig everything else, from acoustic to the multi-instumental stuff with Greg Howard.

Despite seeing TR solo about 6 times or so, I have never seen him perform with DM live. I also never got to see him with Houston Ross and Johnny Gilmore, which I severly regret

The 3rd question is a bit more complicated... for my money, nobody is more complex on the guitar than TR, by that I mean TR can do everything, but he does it all well. While there may be better acoustic guitarists, I bet that same guitarist could not switch to an electric and visa versa like TR can. As for someone as good, I'd say Lindsey Buckingham, especially after just seeing him live and in person. He did things I've never even see TR do.

JemezRollingStream Posted - 07/24/2003 : 3:55:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by perrinbar

and thirdly does anybody know of someone as amazing as Tim on the guitar? the man really does blow my mind

Monte Mongomery is about equally talented, though he has a different approach to the guitar. He's more a bluesy guitarist. Check out his covers of SRV, they're great!

Tom

"...the banjo is the instrument of love..."
Béla Fleck before Bigfoot
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/24/2003 : 06:39:25 AM
well it looks like they kick it then...either way it's funny and yet a cool concept.
Erich Posted - 07/23/2003 : 2:53:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

Kind of like that one pink floyd video where they lightly kick this dog to make it howl, and they hold a microphone up to it...while playing a blues song in the background.

they TOTALY dont do that. Thats Live @ Pompeii, one of my favourite videos. the dog in question howls when he hears a 12 bar blues, and so they just used it. that was also used on the song Seamus.
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/23/2003 : 06:39:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

I've often told my friend if there was a CD of Tim strangling cats or something I'd buy it, and it'd probably sound really amazing.

Kind of like that one pink floyd video where they lightly kick this dog to make it howl, and they hold a microphone up to it...while playing a blues song in the background.
jgorm123 Posted - 07/23/2003 : 03:58:24 AM
to answer the first question: first off do you think Tim is better acoustic or electric for a first timer? I'm going to say acoustic, i am a huge fan of any acoustic guitar player, i think its just an incredible sound.
the second: second off how many Tim fans have seen him play with Dave Matthews, either just the two or the whole band? I've attended one Acoustic Evening with Dave and Tim at miami university of ohio, it was unreal, only way to explain it.
the third:and thirdly does anybody know of someone as amazing as Tim on the guitar? the man really does blow my mind. No i dont know of anyone that can top Timmy, he is a musical genius. Personally i believe one of the best 5 guitarists of all time. The man is incredible.
take it easy everybody
"sitting, smoking, feeling high." -david j matthews
Arthen Posted - 07/23/2003 : 03:10:44 AM
Thought I'd get in on this one.

Dig into the acoustic stuff. It's easier to cross over to electric if it's not normally your thing. At least that's what it was like for me. But in reality, any Tim is good Tim. I've often told my friend if there was a CD of Tim strangling cats or something I'd buy it, and it'd probably sound really amazing.
rx-78moosey Posted - 07/23/2003 : 02:43:22 AM
quote:
second off how many Tim fans have seen him play with Dave Matthews, either just the two or the whole band?

Few months back me and my best 2 buds had the privilege of seeing dave and timmy jam in oxford-3.31
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/21/2003 : 12:52:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by thomasode

quote:
Originally posted by Erich
Tuck Anders for something in a similar vein, i guess...
[

Tuck is amazing, ya'll need to check out Tuck and Patti

they played locally about a month ago, i didn't check em out tho, but i saw a poster...
thomasode Posted - 07/21/2003 : 12:45:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Erich
Tuck Anders for something in a similar vein, i guess...
[

Tuck is amazing, ya'll need to check out Tuck and Patti
{=HTG=} Posted - 07/21/2003 : 11:32:49 AM
quote:
3/19, 20, 22, 29 (oakdale, uri, radio city, and boone)

Very nice But whats the news on that 3/19 DVD? The 'stay or leave' video was posted a long time ago, and it looked like it was comming out great.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 07/20/2003 : 5:25:06 PM
I think the amount of material youa re familiar with determines which set ( acoustic or electric) you'd enjoy most. I just had an amazing time seeing three acoustic shows, adn it was even better that I knew basically all of his material - that way you knwo when he is going off on an improv or is making a change. The electric tour is more in your face, esp. with the background video material ( Mason is the man!). TIM will blow you away no matter what he plays, even the triangle.

I saw T & D in radio city this past march. 7 times solo ( 4 electric, 3 acoustic). I like him solo a lot better.

By posting on this board, I have an obligation to say that NO ONE is as amazing as TIM on the guitar. I do, however, like listening to axe-weilders such as Michael Hedges, Billy McLaughlin, Dexter Brank, Danny Heines, Andy McKee, and Joe Satriani.

Welcome aBoard!!
Erich Posted - 07/20/2003 : 1:11:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by {=HTG=}

Holy shit Erich, you caught them four times...lucky bastard. Which shows were they?

3/19, 20, 22, 29 (oakdale, uri, radio city, and boone)
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/20/2003 : 12:46:54 PM
quote:

couple of questions actually.

This is my second post, I'm both a fan of Tim and a fan of Dave. I will see Tim once he comes back to Cali! and hopefully I will see him many times before it is all said and done.

Peace.

acoustic, for a first time dmb fan, but for people who like "heavier" or "harder" sounding music, then electric. personally i prefer electric with tim singing, but that's just me.

I have never seen tim with dmb, or tim solo for that matter

there are plenty of other great guitarist out there, just gotta look. some of my fav.s right now would be pat matheny, derek trucks, al dimeola, and JOHN MCLAUGHLIN.

welcome aboard too!
{=HTG=} Posted - 07/20/2003 : 05:05:48 AM
quote:
4 times d+t '03

Holy shit Erich, you caught them four times...lucky bastard. Which shows were they?
Erich Posted - 07/19/2003 : 11:40:22 PM
quote:

depends on what you like. I think his electric music is fantastic, but for a first timer i think listening ot the dynamics of his acoustic guitar playing is a good way to go.

quote:

4 times d+t '03

quote:

to be honest, im sure there are others out there that have the same technical skill as a guitarist as tim, but its really tim's song writing that makes him stand out from other good guitarists. Id say you can check out Tuck Anders for something in a similar vein, i guess...

quote:

Peace.

its worth it. Ive seen tim 12 times solo since '01, and im hoping to get a few more under my belt this year as well. go see him

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000