Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 The issue of right hand technique(Guitar!)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Andy G Posted - 09/19/2002 : 10:44:21 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Andy Grant and (to my knowledge) the only TR in the UK (I would love to be wrong about that one). I've been a pro player and teacher for 7 years I have been browsing these pages for some time and have decided to "get involved" The appeal of TR music to me is simple-his approach to the guitar and the music he produces is closer to how I myself might ideally play, than any other guitar player I have yet heard. Given that music is personal expression, we are all trying to find our own voice, not copy someone else. But let's just say, the man and his music are a true inspiration.

So, this thing about the picking. It's probably true to say that the differences in approach to RH technique are many and varied. If you're gonna pick quickly and cleanly fast lines on one string, then an alternate picking approach is clearly what is needed. The debate begins when you extend this to picking lines over 2 or more strings. Do you maintain a strict alternate picking regime, or use one of the other two methods "Economy Picking", or what Tim calls the "down stroke" method.
Alternate is the easiest to describe as it simply follows a strict up/down/up/down regime, and is used to devastating effect by players such as Steve Morse, Trevor Rabin and Al di Meola

Economy picking relies on always travelling to the adjacent string without "hooking round" that string, but rather sweeping toward it. This undoubtedly allows for maximum economy of movement-but some feel that it is less rhythmically accurate as it mean you can end up using an upstroke(the naturally weaker stroke) on down beat. this technique I feel carries slightly less muscle, and whilst being effective on electric, pales somewhat on acoustic.

The downstroke method, I am guessing, is also based on an alternate picking on one string, but when picking a new string always starts with a downstroke. This is produces more volume, and may have been adopted by Tim as a result of extended periods of acoustic playing. It does feel more idiosyncratic than alternate.

Anyway, you pays your money, you takes your choice. And we are still talking guitar playing now and not any other right handed adventures you might be thinking of undertaking.

I would think it would be best to try them all for various situations-try to avoid confusing your muscle memory by practising a lick or concept using more than one different technique

"Rodeo picking" sounded like a bit of a fanciful idea to me, but the idea of making circular motions could be useful as it is more flowing than constantly changing direction. Don't knock it till you've tried it as they say.

I hope this might be of some use to someone

Cheers
Andy Grant

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 09/27/2002 : 02:35:18 AM
Hey Andy G, Welcome aBOARD!!! Thanx for your input, it is always appreciated around these parts. As for TR, he says masturbation definitely helps with quicker hand speed on the guitar. So I suggest everyone keep up BOTH!!(and it's alot of fun as well)

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Arthen Posted - 09/20/2002 : 5:59:44 PM
Heh! Yes, he has us figured out! He already knows to make it clear that his post isn't about masterbation!

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
pcbTIM Posted - 09/19/2002 : 6:04:42 PM
quote:

hehehe..."other right hand adventures." Hehehe! I think for that you need an alternating stroke!

hehe.......you always go right for the perverted ones, don't you? And what about southpaws? Are they neglected?

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Jay Posted - 09/19/2002 : 4:17:16 PM
Welcome Andy G! Well, what can I say? I'm a 14 ( 15 on Mondee, when TIM rolls into town yahoo!) year old mess up, but i think that the "Downstroke" method that TR employs is basically doing what ever you feel like doing to get your point across. For me, at least, when I flatpick, I never think of what method I'm using...I just do whatever comes natural. I think that's what Tim was saying earlier. So, you being a pro player ( Ick, I wish i WAS!) know that experimenting is what is needed. I think that in playing on two strings very fast, you just keep with the alternate, or, when you switch to the next string, just use a downstroke. That's what i do. The fastest song I play, which is one I wrote with no title, has a fast desecending part and the end. I play every note with a downstroke, and while i don't pick every note that is played, it is much fast than alternating your strokes on every string...

So that makes no sense and I'm not qualified to say anything tips wise, but just stick with whatever feels right, just PLAY IT!
hehehe..."other right hand adventures." Hehehe! I think for that you need an alternating stroke!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
pcbTIM Posted - 09/19/2002 : 2:46:19 PM
quote:

the only TR in the UK (I would love to be wrong about that one).

Not quite....hehe

quote:
That should read "TR fan" in line one of previous post incidentally-before we get into the cloning debate. (never could type)

You know, you can edit your posts by clicking on the little paper icon with a pencil on it......

Also, I'm assuming that you want to hear our opinions on this matter.....but are you asking for "which is better"? Because I have no idea......I just play. I don't know any of the vernacular or teaching styles, since I never had a lesson. But I am taking a fundementals of music class right now (I don't know what that had to do with this topic, but I'm excited about it).

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Andy G Posted - 09/19/2002 : 10:49:59 AM
That should read "TR fan" in line one of previous post incidentally-before we get into the cloning debate. (never could type)

Andy G

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000