Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Tim Reynolds' Compositional Method?...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mgodinez Posted - 06/27/2002 : 11:38:17 AM
All,

My posts seem to have taken on a trend lately, in terms of inquirin'
about Mr. Reynolds' views on playin'/practicin' music. So I guess this one goes out to people in the 'know' w/ the behind the scenes activities of Mr. Reynolds' music.

I was talkin' to Julian Priester yesterday (that's one of the advantages to workin' at an art college. You get to meet all these great musicians), as I was sittin' in his office hookin' up his computer. With a grand piano takin' up about half his office space, I asked Julian if he composed his music mostly on the piano or on his horn. After a bit of a pause, he said neither. He doesn't use any instruments when he composes music, but rather uses the piano/horn as a correctional tool, to make sure that what he's thinkin'/scorin' is acually what he would be playin'. He went on further to say, that when he composes music on an instrument, it seems that his compositions are limited by the limitations of the instrument. So he doesn't use an instrument. To me, this was quite an amazin' thing.

I wonder what Tim's compositional method is like. Does he use the piano mostly, his axe...neither?

mgodinez
overcast...

Seattle, Wa
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 03/02/2003 : 12:50:50 PM
TTT for instructional possibility.
Fluffy Posted - 07/03/2002 : 6:06:55 PM
FEAR FACTORY in the house!!! Woops, guess that's not the same.

....and now for something completely different.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
mgodinez Posted - 07/03/2002 : 11:44:57 AM
what is this...fear factor?

mgodinez

cloudy...

Seattle, Wa
pcbTIM Posted - 07/02/2002 : 8:15:15 PM
That's because Ralph ate them all.

"Miss Hoover? My worm jumped in my mouth and I ate it. Can I have another one?"
"No, Ralph. Just put your head on your desk and sleep."
"Yay!! Sleep! That's where I'm a viking!"

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
My_Bad_Side Posted - 07/02/2002 : 4:01:15 PM
I need another can of worms open. I'm getting bored with the old ones.

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
Fluffy Posted - 07/02/2002 : 2:05:49 PM
Hey Jason, Rogue State is a great place to start. It will open up the door to many of his other books which usually deal with more specific topics. If you start with Rogue State you can figure out which topics you want to delve into more deeply. Be careful, if you are like me, it will open up a big can of worms for ya. ENJOY

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 07/02/2002 : 1:00:18 PM
I write in my free TIMe, i don't expect to get anywhere with it cause i suck, but I'm always interested in new and good authors to help hone my skills in. THanks for the tip, guys!

More on my story is coming soon. I'm thinking aboot writing it in three differetn parts, Before and As, after, and now. I think that'll work fine, but they will all be separate stroies. Kinda confusing....

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
My_Bad_Side Posted - 07/02/2002 : 08:41:28 AM
I have never read anything by Noam. I'll get on that soon and very soon. You say Rogue State would be a good place to start?

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
Fluffy Posted - 07/01/2002 : 11:29:06 PM
I thought it was something else that "killed kittens".

Anyway, JeFoPe, TR is a huge Noam Chomsky fan. I would say if you ask him his favorite writer it would most certainly be Noam. He is constantly reading books by him, he even bought quite a few in this really kewl bookstore in Boulder. We made a special trip for him before we left town. He has turned me on to numerous Chomsky writings, Rogue State being the best I have read so far. It is truly amazing stuff. Words do fascinate TR but I think it would be a misnomer(or should I say misNOAMer, HEHE I couldn't resist that pun)to say he is really INTO linguistics. The english language is a fascinating tool. Left to the wrong people they twist and distort our perceptions using that language. That is why it is so imperative that we listen to the language used when we watch the news, listen to politicians, etc etc etc. Words are a powerful tool as well. TR's suggested reading lists have always included numerous Noam Chomsky books. I have seem him go thru phases with other writers but Noam is the one that TR has been touting since day 1 when I first met him, right up thru the present. Noam has an amazing grasp of the situation. Probably because of his liguistic background. He understands words and the power they have. It also helps him to interpret all that political double-speak. Glad you are Chomsky fan, TR would be so happy to hear that. He thinks EVERYONE should read Chomsky.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

LizT Posted - 06/30/2002 : 08:58:53 AM
quote:
I'm just a curious boy (and innocent, right LizK).

Curiosity killed the....... KITTENS!!!! LOL!

JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/29/2002 : 10:44:42 PM
Fluffy, You said that Tim attended a Naom Chomsky lecture? Is Tim interested in Linguistics? I found that a coincidence. I studied some of Chomsky's material this year in school because my major is Linguistics. Did Tim ever study music at a school? ( did he go to a colleg at all?)

you can stop searching... it's right inside your guitar.
pcbTIM Posted - 06/28/2002 : 8:21:51 PM
quote:

We ride together, eat together, work together. Basically, everything but sleep together.

.....but you're working on that last one, right Fluffy?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
My_Bad_Side Posted - 06/28/2002 : 6:19:13 PM
Fluffy, since you get so much time with TIM, I'd like to ask the question that I don't know the words for. What is there about TIM that we all want to know but don't think to ask? This isn't really a philosophical question (any more than the rest of my questions). I'm just a curious boy (and innocent, right LizK).

No one understands me.
Fluffy Posted - 06/28/2002 : 5:40:12 PM
I spend alot of TIMe with him talking to him and observing as you with anyone you spent almost 2 or 3 solid months in a van with. We ride together, eat together, work together. Basically, everything but sleep together. It is more just like understanding a friend. Someone you spend alot of TIMe with, talking about things. Knowing and understanding mannerisms and attitudes and preferences. That kinda stuff. Always glad when I can shed a little light on the mystery. For that, I am grateful.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
mgodinez Posted - 06/27/2002 : 7:50:45 PM
Fluffy,

Thanks for the reply. Good stuff. Once again, it is always good to get an insight into Mr. Reynolds' genius. Man, it's bafflin' to think about your havin' a first hand account of Tim's virtuosity. But I think I'm gettin' a little tini-boppish....so, I digress.

mgodinez
overcast...

Hopin' to come out of TR.com postin' anonimity...

Seattle, Wa
Fluffy Posted - 06/27/2002 : 4:22:50 PM
Guitar is the root. Beyond that it is a mystery. He usually just comes up with little parts and builds songs around them. At least that is how it appeared to me with the acoustic material. As for the electric it is probably a similar type of process. Come up with riff and build a song around it. He is really influenced by things. Los Alamos is Burning came to him while he was watching the actual Los Alamos fires from his house. That type of thing. It really is a mystery. Indoctrinate was written from notes he took at a Noam Chomsky lecture. He always gives credit to Noam as the inspiration for the song. I guess he really doesn't have just one way. It is about experiences and influences.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000