Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 TR on the radio?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SurferX Posted - 04/11/2002 : 03:09:47 AM
Does anyone know if any of Tim's albums get airplay on any radio stations (and I'm not talking D&T...just TR)? I only ask because I just was appointed the program director for my college's internet radio station, and have to program music for my 3 hour show, and I just want to see if anyone is playing anything that would be considered a "single". Thanks for the input, and I'll keep y'all posted on the station (which should be up and running by the end of May).

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
AIM:SurferX72
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 05/01/2002 : 7:18:25 PM
Damnit Silky.....now look what you did.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/01/2002 : 6:38:12 PM
Gotcha! I just couldn't handle seeing those two names in the same sentence... kinda like TR and Limp Bizkit :)
-J

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/01/2002 : 4:48:46 PM
I just want to make myself clear, because my feelings aren't hurt, but I obviously made a boo-boo. KWS rocks first of all, and SRV is obviously a big influence. Secondly, he sure sounds like blues to me, but he changes his vocalists a lot BECAUSE of the fact he doesn't sing, I only put him under that "grouping" b/c Fluffy said that those who like most of the country stars out there probably wouldn't be turned on to TR, and I have heard him (KWS) playing on country radio, and w/ country rockers. This was kinda my point earlier, that TR has a sort of undefinable style that may cross over into another category. I definately AGREE WITH YOU, that what's on the radio on a particular station, does not, however, qualify that artist 100% as a pure country artist, blues artist, etc. KWS vocalist, (and you can correct me if I am wrong) Noah Hunt sounds very bluesy and I wouldn't categorize any song like "Blue on Black" as anything other than Blues. I hope that clears things up and you can change my earlier comparison to any country pop star you wish, I'll leave KWS out of it!
Peace Be With
WBB

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/01/2002 : 3:08:45 PM
I wasn't trying to nitpick powdr, just saying that KWS isn't someone who has a backup studio artist to come around like Shania Twain, whom you grouped him with. He plays in a band, and that band is every bit as much a band as someone like DMB or Tool. I was not trying to be a dick so there's no reason to be defensive... I just think that you may not have your information straight because the mere fact that you would say that he has a backup guitarist tells me that you don't know that KWS is ONLY a guitarist. He does not sing. You seem like an intelligent person so I'm sure there's no reason to explain why hearing a given artist on a particular radio station does not qualify that person as being in a particular genre. I guess the same thing that kicks in when I hear TR called Dave's guitarist as right here where it seemed as though you were comparing KWS to Shania Twain, when they really are in different arenas of talent.
-J

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/01/2002 : 1:58:31 PM
Well, when travelling, wanting to avoid traffic, having all your CD's stolen out of your car or house for that matter and MANY more reasons like hearing a new artist, ad nauseum, the radio is an important tool and it reaches further than the cable lines. I've heard some great live performances and rare tracks on the radio, but if you want to listen to your CD's all the time, that's fine, but now I think I understand now why Fluffy gets frustrated with peoples replies to his comments in almost every long thread... And for those of us who don't have access to to the mass media other than radio, or are too busy to "watch" their music, we enjoy listening.
Peace Be With
WBB

pcbTIM Posted - 05/01/2002 : 12:33:28 PM
Oh God!!!! Just a word(s) of advice.....DON'T listen to 102.7 when you come out to California. It's a terrible station. It plays crap like NSUCK, Britney Spears, etc. The day I heard DMB on that station, I knew they sold out.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/01/2002 : 12:30:39 PM
Rock 103

102.7 Great station.

-What-
pcbTIM Posted - 05/01/2002 : 11:20:25 AM
Same here......all the music I ever want to listen to is on CD, and then I get to choose what songs to listen to. But I don't have any classic rock on CD, so for that I listen to ARROW 93.1..........or maybe KFSL.....Fossil Radio!

NeverKillADream Posted - 05/01/2002 : 11:08:42 AM
for the most part, the radio is worthless, and i rarely give it chance anyway

powdrdogdmb Posted - 05/01/2002 : 10:26:13 AM
quote:
Actually, KWS is blues... and more than that, he's a freakin' beast on the guitar himself.

I have no idea why you got the impression that I don't think he can play the guitar, you don't need to knit-pick my threads. Moreso, I've listened to KWS more often on country radio than blues radio, so isn't it possible that he has quite a following in a "country" type of genre. Think about where the last time you heard him on the radio was...
Peace Be With
WBB

Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/24/2002 : 4:09:38 PM
Actually, KWS is blues... and more than that, he's a freakin' beast on the guitar himself. Major SRV influence, not really country.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 04/23/2002 : 9:16:17 PM
quote:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I listened to it streaming at the hob website.

Yes, it was at one time streaming on the HOB website. Whether or not it still is, I do not know.

-What-
powdrdogdmb Posted - 04/23/2002 : 8:05:26 PM
Thanks for the input Fluffy, I agree that anyone that is interested into the stylings of Chet Atkins would also be interested in Tim Reynolds playing ability (or Dave Matthews style for that matter since many of Chet's riffs come off in his work), and I think with Mr. Atkins recent passing many guitarists will look to other players like TR with that type of ability for inspiration - and since one can not pin down a particular genre for Tim's music, who knows what his next style will be (though, thank god, I think we don't have to worry that he will ever be a backup riff guitarist for Shania Twain or Kenny Wayne Shepherd - see, I've been hanging around country folk too much). Anyways, if you are driving through Albuquerque, listen for Scott on the morning show, he and I are TR fans... and good luck SURFERX with the radio show, I hope you'll send a link for a copy of the show to the others on the net, we'd always love to listen to a song from the radio or a TR interview!
Peace Be With - WBB

Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/19/2002 : 05:02:05 AM
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I listened to it streaming at the hob website.
-J

SurferX Posted - 04/19/2002 : 04:55:42 AM
Thanks for the info Fluffy! I wrote to Lisa a couple of days ago and have not heard back from her yet...I'm guessing she's just waiting until the date is confirmed for the SoCal/LA show (desperately hoping it's at the Knitting Factory).

RE: the interview...It'll be live straight to DAT so I can go back and mix/edit it down to go out over the air, but I'll definately hook you guys up with the full show!

As for the HOB show...I've only heard about it...Anyone wanna hook me up with a B&P?

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
Fluffy Posted - 04/18/2002 : 2:56:11 PM
Hey SurferX, I posted the info for the confirmed San Juan Capistrano date:

ENGAGEMENT DATE: 5/16/02
ARTIST: Tim Reynolds
VENUE: Coach House/SJC PHONE: (949) 496-8930
33157 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

The date for LA will probably be a day or two before that but I don't have a contract on it yet. I will post it as soon as I have it.

As for your show, if you end up doing it, it would be great if you could record it and send TR Productions a copy. We would love to hear it. CD would be best. Did you know TR did a radio show for the HOB? He was the host and played his favorite songs. I think it was on the FTP site at one point. If it is no longer there, I am sure someone has a copy they could B+P for you. If you are interested.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 04/18/2002 : 2:49:55 PM
Hey powderdg, Alot of styles come to mind when I think of TR, but country is not immediatly one of them. I will give it some thought and see if I can come up with any. One problem is TR's music is fairly unclassifiable as most will tell you. It really has a hard time fitting into anyone category. There are hints and flavors of almost all styles if you listen closely enuf. Most TRUE country fans appreciate a great guitar player(Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Les Paul, Marty Stuart, Glen Campbell etc etc etc not to mention all the amazing bluegrass pickers)so I would imagine TRUE country fans would appreciate the solo acoustic work of TR even if it is not really country music. I don't think country fans of Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Garth Brooks type of country music would be as receptive to the music of TR. AS we all know, any guitar player or guitar player enthusiast could not help but be impressed by TR's ability and unique style. Hope this helps. Thanx for the interest and support!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
powdrdogdmb Posted - 04/17/2002 : 07:31:06 AM
Anyone think that a TR song can be qualified as "country?" I have a friend with a Radio Show on the BIG-I Albuquerque, NM. Unfortunately, it is a full fledged Country Station. I'm am sure however that some buddies of mine in the UNM, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe areas would love to hear Tim's music crossing into yet another music genre... Peace Be With.

SurferX Posted - 04/17/2002 : 03:46:24 AM
quote:

Sounds great SurferX, contact Lisa. Make sure you do it well in advance for scheduling purposes. Sometimes last minute things don't fit the schedule, but if you get it set up and we know early enuf, we can plan alot easier. Hope to see you in LA!

Any idea of the LA show? I don't think it's been posted yet...Just so I can start planning...

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
BigEyedPhish Posted - 04/16/2002 : 12:11:54 PM

seeing TR on Conan O'Brien would be awesome!!!

Fluffy Posted - 04/16/2002 : 05:03:10 AM
Sounds great SurferX, contact Lisa. Make sure you do it well in advance for scheduling purposes. Sometimes last minute things don't fit the schedule, but if you get it set up and we know early enuf, we can plan alot easier. Hope to see you in LA!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Surfer X Posted - 04/15/2002 : 3:21:42 PM
I was thinking about devoting about an hour of my 3 hour show to the music of TR. Hopefully, when we find out the date of the LA show, I can get Tim up here and get an interview for either before or after that hour...

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
Erich with an h Posted - 04/14/2002 : 2:32:40 PM
awsome shit in this thread. I would a say take fluffys advice and mix shit up from lots of tim styles, its all good :)

Erich w/ an h
Erichwanh@yahoo.com
The Tim Reynolds Tour and Recording Database
My_Bad_Side Posted - 04/14/2002 : 2:25:29 PM
He should play my TV show.

(Of course, that would mean I'd have to GET a TV show.)

pcbTIM Posted - 04/14/2002 : 11:14:50 AM
He should go on Conan O'Brien. They would have a great TIMe if TR was interviewed.

That still is pretty wierd that they just called up on the spot though....I thought they were supposed to be professional.

Fluffy Posted - 04/14/2002 : 07:21:53 AM
We didn't plan that one! It just happened, in fact it just happened while we were in Las Vegas on my b-day. We got a call from the show asking if we could do it while we were in LA. Very last minute. I am sure if TR got the chance to do something like that again he would. Cross your fingers or start emailing your fave late nite show. That's what we need, and email campaign to get TR on more late nite shows.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 04/12/2002 : 5:00:29 PM
Is he planning on making any more TV appearances?

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Fluffy Posted - 04/12/2002 : 08:26:14 AM
Just so ya don't get the wrong idea, these things are not discussed, I think they are more subconscious kinds of choices when deciding how you want to present yourself to the world with your first opportunity on TV as a solo artist. Just thought I would clarify, so no one got the wrong idea.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 04/12/2002 : 08:15:44 AM
Keep in mind, TR has seen the devastation wrought by people deciding what you must sound like based on something else. After the D+T acoustic tour and VH1 Storytellers, TR hit the road with his Electric Trio, there were alot of shocked and stunned faces. This cannot be the same Tim Reynolds I saw at the D+T show or on VH1, this guy is wearing a diaper. Tim knows the value of trying not to leave people with the wrong impression that might cause them to make false assumptions based on his appearance. I guess you could call it good planning. I think he just wanted to show the world "I got my own music to do!" If he had gotten up there and done Flourescence, it really wouldn't have shown anyone that he wasn't out on the road playing exactly the kind of music they would expect from DMB's guitarist. He decided to throw them a loop. Kinda like, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! I have lots more inside me than STREAM or CRASH. I think alot of people tuning in expected what they always expect and hopefully were nicely surprised or realized "this TR guy is not what I always thought". Either way, it was his big chance to try and step out of the Dave's-acoustic-side-guy shadow, and I think he did it very well!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 04/12/2002 : 05:54:43 AM
Fluffy said:
quote:

As for his choice on Kilborn, He mostly picked that because it has the widest range of his styles and we didn't want his performance to pidgeon-hole him as a particular kind of guitarist. He was worried everyone might go out expecting all his songs to sound like the one he played. So he chose one that would be hard to catergorize and would still give him a chance to get exposure to the widest audience.

That's pretty damn smart. I bet he's learned that from experience huh......but when I was watching him on the show, I couldn't help but take notice that a lot of people would find it a little too weird for them......but to each his own! I guess it's better that way.....otherwise this message board would be packed with people.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Fluffy Posted - 04/12/2002 : 04:17:36 AM
SurferX said:
quote:
Oh yeah, Fluffy...If there are any So Cal dates, I'd love to interview Tim for my station (even if it's before the show or something...Just like 20 minutes or so...)
Sounds like a great idea, contact our publicity person, Lisa Farber and see if you can work something out. Let her know you are a part of the message board and playing TR on your show. You can find her info on TimReynolds.com Her email is farmince@aol.com Thanx again for your support and WELCOME aBOARD!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 04/12/2002 : 04:13:39 AM
Well Evergreen discovered TR on a radio station in Burlington VT. College station I think. They were playing Backdoor from Astral Projection, If I remember correctly. Found it:
quote:
I know Fluffy said they never listen to the radio, but sometimes it can be a good thing. There is something to be said for some of the underground college radio stations. It's the first place I heard TR's music. 90.1WRUV from Burlington VT(college station). I tuned in one day and they were playing stuff from Astral Projection and the live Puke Matrix tour. About 2 minutes into Backdoor(still one of my all time fav's), I was scrambling and fumbling for the recording apparatus and managed to get some of it. I had to actually call the place to find out who it was. Been a fan ever since. Now, sometimes I fill in as DJ there and always play Tim's stuff. If your ever in the area(and i mean right in the city because the signal doesn't travel far), check it out. You will never here popular top 40 stuff! Although it sounds like the tour van is overflowing with great music so why deal with the radio when most of it is of the limp fred variety.......
From this link:
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=414
So it seems there has been a little TR out there on the radio. I don't think anything would qualify as a single. I think TR would like it if you picked your fave. Flourescence is what I think most people would pick as "the single". As for his choice on Kilborn, He mostly picked that because it has the widest range of his styles and we didn't want his performance to pidgeon-hole him as a particular kind of guitarist. He was worried everyone might go out expecting all his songs to sound like the one he played. So he chose one that would be hard to catergorize and would still give him a chance to get exposure to the widest audience. Flourescence was the first choice but was quickly ruled out for the above stated reasons. In a perfect world I would say play something from Petroglyph or ID AND Flourescence, so people can see the diversity in styles. Stuff from Petroglyph would be great right now since it is the most like what the material from the upcoming tour will be closest too. Flourescence might make people come to the show expecting all pretty acoustic music and this will not be just that. I think it is great that you are planning to play anything. It is greatly appreciated. We all here believe in spreading the good word of TR. You get major props(to quote carson and GuitarGuy)from me and everyone here for your willingness and desire to enter unchartered territory. We need more people like you on the radio, not just ones who are willing to play TR, but ones who are just willing to take a chance and not play the S.O.S. Let us know what you decide and when we can listen. Thanx again for the support, it is always appreciated and never taken for granted. As for Kev, as soon as I have those dates, so will you.

Kev said:
quote:
Holy Dog Shit! That is the name of my friends show that i used to play TR3 on! And she even played the B52's song when coming back from break. CRAZY!

I have always said those of us in the TR camp display an amazing amount of synchronicity. Almost nothing amazes me anymore when it comes to coincedences like this. It's all pretty fucking kewl if you ask me. Pretty fucking kewl!!!!
on the same kind of note: Liz emailed me that she had discovered this great band opening for DMB last nite. They are called Robert Randolph. Guess what I was listening to in my car moments before I came into my house and signed on? You guessed it Robert Randolph! I have had that CD in my deck for the last 3 days. He played at the club the other nite opening for Strangefolk and stole the show. I was blown away. I haven't been able to take the CD out of my car stereo. Then Liz tells me about this great band she just heard. WEIRD? I think not, SYNCHRONICITY!! and the synchronicity continues. The RR CD is a live recording, guess where from. This is a little more obscure but still synchronistic, The Wetlands! Where TR almost always played when in NYC. Small World? I think not! Synchronistic World!!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
SurferX Posted - 04/12/2002 : 04:09:25 AM
quote:

surferX:
quote:
Anyway, my show is called Channel Z (yes, like the B52s song...)

Holy Dog Shit! That is the name of my friends show that i used to play TR3 on! And she even played the B52's song when coming back from break. CRAZY!

LOL! Yeah, I use the song as my theme song! I do all my tags over it! Awesome!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on the singles...I listened to all my TR stuff today and picked out some good stuff (you'll have to listen next fall for what I picked).

Oh yeah, Fluffy...If there are any So Cal dates, I'd love to interview Tim for my station (even if it's before the show or something...Just like 20 minutes or so...)

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/11/2002 : 9:32:41 PM
i've heard on some local college radio them playing live at luther college before. off and on, random songs, but that's the closest i've heard of tim.

KevinLesko Posted - 04/11/2002 : 8:53:51 PM
surferX:
quote:
Anyway, my show is called Channel Z (yes, like the B52s song...)

KevinLesko Posted - 04/11/2002 : 8:51:44 PM
Patty is correct! I've played TR3 on KUCI before. Hey Fluffy, as soon as you find out the Southern Cali dates, let me know... I have two friends who have radio shows, one who is a TR fan so I'm sure she'd mention the dates on the air.

You asked if there are single or anything. The closest would be Entity, simply because that was the song Tim chose to play on Kilborn to promote Nomadic Wavelength. But collehe radio station tend to want you to play the lesser known stuff so I say you randomly pick and choose some TR stuff and enlighten the public as to what guitar playin is all about!

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/11/2002 : 6:45:15 PM
A friend of mine from high school said he heard either Loose Interpretations or Chatterbox on a local radio station here, its a jazz station. he said they didnt give props to Tim though,.

I cant belive i just said "give props"

I must go torture myself somehow now for talking like Carson.

Adam

Music is more than notes on a page

I'm trying to spell what only the wind can explain

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
BigEyedPhish Posted - 04/11/2002 : 12:27:01 PM
surferx
definately put some TR on your station. i'm guessing it would be a very wecome surprise for some listeners... and an eye-opening experience for others.

SurferX Posted - 04/11/2002 : 12:26:58 PM
That is SO my plan, to be the first one to play his stuff.

When it comes to radio stuff, I always try to be unique and stand out so people remember me. I mean, for my first show last semester I played music from Mr. Bungle (if anyone remembers them) and some other bands that aren't famous. I must have had about 100 e-mails from people around the grounds asking where people could get that stuff...Anyway, my show is called Channel Z (yes, like the B52s song...) and it's on a station that we are calling KUGR (I go to College of the Canyons in Valencia, CA...Home of Six Flags Magic Mountain, and our mascot is the Cougar). We don't have a domain name yet for the station, nor do we have a web page (well, we had a temp one last semester, but it was only a campus-only site), but once we get it, I'll post so everyone can hear TR on the "radio" (And so I can have more listeners...hehe...).

--Zak Winnick
surfscape@socal.rr.com
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/11/2002 : 11:32:25 AM
I've certainly never heard anything of his on the radio... but that doesn't mean that you can't be the trendy one to do it first. :)
-J

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000