Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 TRelated Topics
 Old Stories Still Worth A Read...........

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fluffy Posted - 03/30/2002 : 07:23:50 AM
Annual Kent State Folk Festival

TIM REYNOLDS

A master of every conceivable guitar technique-and then some-Reynolds brings a whole new sensibility to his instrument. His unbelievably wide-ranging musical cosmology underlies a diversity that defines his music. From progressive rock, straight-up jazz, and high-powered funk fusion guitar, to bass, piano, sitar, mandolin, violin, and a plethora or ethnic percussion instruments, this self-taught musician rules.

His inspiration comes not so much from other guitarists as from the everyday world and completely unrelated musical styles. "I listen to stuff that's not even related to guitar to get inspiration. For example, I listen to modern industrial noise to hear something and then copy it on my guitar," says Reynolds. He has reached the highest technical level as a guitarist and musician, but it is the spiritual aspect of his music that transcends. Reynolds communes with the guitar in absolute harmony and partnership.

Born in Weisbaden, Germany, the son of a Pentecostal military man, Tim spent much of his childhood moving--from Alaska to St. Louis and through much of the Bible-belt Midwest. As the child of devout, fiercely-conservative parents, Tim's earliest musical introduction began at age 12, playing electric bass before writhing congregations of ecstatic worshippers three times a week (over 1000 times!) until his high school graduation.

Tiring of the constraints of imposed conservatism, young Reynolds secretly plunged into jazz and "forbidden" late '60s and early '70s psychedelic rock. At age 18, he left home to join a group of "experimental" musicians. After absorbing much from them and the dozen other bands (from disco to country) that followed, he eventually settled in Charlottesville, Virginia: a progressive community where Reynolds was given opportunity and space to jam with some of the area's most creative musicians, including Dave Matthews. There he founded "TR3". It was in this environment that Tim Reynolds explored his art, with impromptu performances on sitar, solo jazz guitar, solo djembe, twelve string guitar, violin, and mandolin. Tim's influences, which include Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Manson, Bob Marley, Nine Inch Nails, and Led Zeppelin, among others, are indirectly felt in the fabric of "TR3" and Tim's solo projects.

A guitarist who rises above the mere mastery of chops to a virtual state of communion with his instrument, Tim makes utter use of every capacity the guitar has to create sound--harmonic, melodic, or percussive. With "Sanctuary"--a new CD out, and having recently performed a wildly successful, sold out, national two-man acoustic tour with Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds stands poised at the threshold of long-awaited and much deserved recognition as one of rock's true guitar maestros.

http://www.wksu.org/folk/festival98/reynolds.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 03/31/2002 : 5:42:14 PM
Perhaps it has no purpose.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Fluffy Posted - 03/31/2002 : 07:15:09 AM
I figured THAT'S what they meant, but WHY are they saying it. TR is NO Cali Dude. And why is the page even there? What is it's purpose, what does it mean? I am so confused!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 03/30/2002 : 8:35:12 PM
quote:

Not even sure what this one means, anybody know? Cali Dude?

I'm guessing that they meant he lives in California (even though he doesn't).....so he's a Cali dude. Just a guess.

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Fluffy Posted - 03/30/2002 : 12:20:46 PM
To funny not to add this in somewhere:
Lisa Klein answers question #5
quote:
5. If you could only listen to five albums for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Luther College. It's a great show with a great set list. Tim Reynolds is amazing and, to me, Dave Matthews has such a sexy way about him which attracts me to his music.

Phish, Slip Stitch and Pass. I can just zone out for a while listening to this CD. I love the Talking Heads cover "Cities" because it reminds me of my friends who are away in school in other cities.

moe., No Doy. It makes me want to go nuts and just sit and relax at the same time which is great. This, to me, is moe.'s best album. All the jams throughout each song sorta make you forget what you're listening to for a moment but then they pick right back up with the lyrics again.

Grateful Dead, Dicks Picks, Vol. 2. The "St. Stephen" on it is my favorite version on any CD, and the jam at the end of "Dark Star" is great - it's about 12 minutes long.

Snoop Doggy Dogg, Doggystyle. It's great to dance to and to just laugh at. Snoop is a crazy guy. I would love to go and chill with him one night.

What a weird bunch of things. Pretty kewl that TR comes out on top and is mentioned before Dave. HEHE To see all of her answers, check the link below:
http://www.hearsay.cc/community/saywhat/03-03-10-99/current.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 03/30/2002 : 09:10:48 AM
Not even sure what this one means, anybody know? Cali Dude?

http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~honor/tim.htm

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 03/30/2002 : 08:10:05 AM
http://www.jhu.edu/~newslett/04-6-00/News/1.html

and a great picture of TR with a Les Paul

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000