Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Taping / Trading / Recording
 Common Margins.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
phleshie Posted - 09/04/2004 : 1:03:38 PM
Hey I'm wondering if a lot of TR fans have the Common Margins improv CD with Greg Howard and what they think of it. I'm inclined to get it but there are no customer reviews anywhere of it and I'm just curious to see if I should invest the $$$$

peace
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
phleshie Posted - 09/05/2004 : 11:30:21 PM
Sorry about that. I made a BIG mistake in my wording. I seemed to have mixed it up with Sticks and Stones.
Sticks & Stones: A collection of spontaneous improvisations was the album I was talking about, hence the mentioning of Greg Howard; the album with the titles like "A world of trees" and "Ascent of man."
I want to know if anyone likes THAT album. My apologies.
KevinLesko Posted - 09/04/2004 : 5:12:51 PM
Hello, first off, the cd is not a collaboration w/ Greg but rather with renowned pianist Michael Sokolowski of SOKO fame. The disc is a very relaxing listen. If you are looking for something catchy or poppy, then I wouldn't recommend it, however, if you dig some complex improvisation that comes out as lovely music, then I'd get it.

Here is what www.allmusic.com has to say about the cd:

quote:
Review by Lindsay Planer
After being initially available only as an audio cassette, Common Margins — featuring Michael Sokolowski (piano) and Tim Reynolds (guitar) — has been issued on compact disc boasting a notable sonic upgrade and adding a pair of cover versions in the process. The dozen wholly improvised selections are presented sans overdubs in an effort to accurately relay the spontaneity and practically palpable energy connecting the artists. The duo sculpt sounds touching on a variety of styles, ranging from new age ambient jazz to organic acoustic folk, tinged in neo-classical expressions. The auras diverge from the meditative "Birthlight" and "Dawn Switches On" to the rambunctious and liberating "Alive." These extremes are equally ambitious and expansive on "Spacewhale," enticing the listener into its tangible intimacy. The juxtaposition and contrasts found in "Object Puddle" demonstrate each musician's capacity to construct and inform his own contributions in the moment. They perform exceedingly well when relying on reactions and impulses, engaging themselves in a playful bout of call-and-response. The understated moody elegance of "Taking Refuge" is one of the most cohesive pieces as the unassuming tune is gilded by wistful melancholia throughout the tranquil yet illuminating passages. "Submarines Are Ugly Beasts" offers up an avant-garde tapestry of disparate textures coalescing in the creation of a free-form exchange. Concluding Common Margins are fascinating reworkings of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watch Tower" and the traditional "Shenandoah." The former stands out as the striking rearrangement is derived upon Sokolowski and Reynolds' ingenuity and consummate ability to give and take. The opening keyboard progressions conjure Donald Fagen's introduction to "Deacon Blues" or "Home at Last," while the guitar punctuates a delicate balance between the familiar melody line and some otherwise truly exceptional interaction.

or check out: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ptz8b5t49sqk~T1

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000