Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Taping / Trading / Recording
 -=FTP Issues - PLEASE READ!!!=-

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
prsmartin Posted - 02/26/2003 : 2:55:30 PM
There is a couple of issues with the ftp that need to be addressed:

(1) The first is logging in (x number of times). I have allowed each person logged into the ftp to have up to 2 simultaneous connects per ip address. This means that you could open your ftp client software and log into the ftp, then open the program again and log in a 2nd time, at the same time. This is so that some people (especially on modems) can download 2 songs/vids/whatever at the same to increase the speed and to let others on quicker.

(2) The 2nd is a more serious matter. I understand that not being able to get in at times is annoynig. Its annoying for me too. However, with have already stated the above, I will say this, and please be respectful of it:

The reason why I limited each user to 2 simultaneous connects is that we are seeing some people start to "hammer" the server. This is an actual term and if you don't know what it means then read on. It means two different things actually. The first meaning is that one person will log in 20 times simultaneously (yes its true). This poses a BIG problem to those others to wish to get in at some point throughout that entire day. If one person can log in up to 20 times, I might as well set the user limit to 1, and design it so that that one person can monopolize the server for as long as they want. Please don't be rude. This is why I imposed the max 2 simultaneous connects policy. If all goes well and people don't hammer the server from now on, I will definitely consider upping the max.

The second meaning of the term "hammer" means to try to log in over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again (you get the point). If you can't get in at a certain time because, for example, the user limit for the ftp is reached, wait a few minutes and check back in. The more you hammer the server the slower everyone else downloads at, because of protocol, which in turn means the longer its gonna take you to actuall get in, let alone download anything. This also warrants a warning from me. I have actually had a lot of people email me about transfer speeds, and why they fluctuate throughout their time on the server, and this is the single biggest reason why. It might sound stupid, but its very true. So please don't hammer the server. Please?

I monitor the ftp and record the events all day. Therefore if you try to hammer the server, you will be banned (for a set amount of time-not permanently at first). I know this sounds really anal, but its for the good of everyone.

(3) Last I will mention a few things about people asking me why I don't have any Dave Matthews stuff. Simple. THIS IS NOT A DAVE MATTHEWS BAND SERVER!!!!! The only thing that is in there that is Dave is the video with Carlos Santana and Tim, but really because Tim is in it, and its a pretty decent quality. Don't get me wrong, I like Dave and respect him as a musician and his music. But if you went to the Dave Matthews FTP (there is none don't try) and asked him why there was no Tim Reynolds stuff there, he would tell you to come here, to TIM REYNOLDS' ftp. Sounds right, huh? Of course. Its like going to an Outback and asking if you can get some Moo Goo Gai Pan. You wouldn't, you would go to a Chinese restaurant which specializes in Chinese food. OK, that was a stupid example/analogy, but hey you get the point. Sorry.

If you have any questions or comments, or have an opinion on these matters I'd like to know. Enlighten us all! Hehehe.

Thank you for having to read such long blabbing. Just needed to be said.

Later...and enjoy!
-Adam
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
prsmartin Posted - 04/09/2003 : 1:33:15 PM
I'm just moving this to the top as a reminder to SOME people who insist on being dicks. Thats all. You know who you are if this applies directly to you. Nuff said. Later...
prsmartin Posted - 03/25/2003 : 1:09:14 PM
I recently had some asshole try to connect over 5,000 consecutive times (hammer the server). He has effectively been banned. This is the kind of rude son of a bitch that nobody wants around so he has been booted for good from the ftp. Please be considerate of others and of the server. This has happened more, not as bad, but more times than this. Not all have been this bad, but bad enough. I'm not trying to be some sort of fascist dictator in regards to my server, I just want everyone to be considerate. It screws up my system (computer), as well as the server. That's the only reason why I care about this.

I have also had some people try to upload in the download account. Some of the files (believe it or not) were viruses. I know because I deal with them everyday, so don't try it. This is the exact reason why I send out upload account requests through email, and monitor them.

Anyways. I'm sorry to anyone who has been affected by these dumbasses. I will keep trying to block them. Overall, 99% of the ftp rocks. Everyone is so nice when it comes to every aspect of the ftp. But there are bad seeds everywhere. My TR downloads is non-stop action. People are constantly logged in, which I LOVE to see. Thanks again everyone. Later...

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000