Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Acoustic player looking to move to electric

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kevin Posted - 09/29/2006 : 03:00:03 AM
Hey guys. I've been in an acoustic duo acting as the lead guy for about two years now, and we've recently found an amazing drummer (and a bass player), so I've decided to switch to electric. I've got a few friends that don't mind loaning me their guitars, but I'm looking into buying an Epi LP or a Strat soon. Anyways, I need advice on pedals and effects. I've been a bass player for almost 10 years, but only a guitar player for maybe 3 or 4, so I really don't know much about the details of the instrument. On bass I really don't use effects besides wah, delay, looping, etc., so I have those. Basically, I'm looking to emulate a couple sounds I've heard Tim do with DMB. If anyone could offer advice/info on what he uses for pedals, I'd really appreciate it. I've checked out his guitar setup page, but I really have no idea what any of the pedals do/are for. I've heard a couple cool sounds without any OD/dist. in songs like Crash I think, but I couldn't really identify what was creating that sound. Any help at all would be awesome!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ranting Thespian Posted - 10/03/2006 : 9:55:02 PM
no problem.
Kevin Posted - 10/03/2006 : 12:31:28 AM
Hey thanks a lot Nick! I appreciate your help! I'll definately be picking up one of those reverb pedals before our next show...hopefully it'll treat me right. Thanks so much for explaining all that...you rock.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 10/01/2006 : 02:23:27 AM
These are my suggestions

Reverb:

*Electro-Harmonix's Holy Grail - wonder spring and hall reverb. Classic sound, and convincing. It also has a flerb which is a semi chorus and spring reverb together. I own one and it's nice.
or

*the Digitech DigiVerb Digital Reverb is also very good. This will give you more modern style reverbs. More spacy style. Also very good, if this is what you are after.

Distortion:

*the Marshall Blues Breaker 2 is a good one that I own. This will give you more of a rough crunch. I'd like to actualy compare it to more Fender tube-style amps when you crank them rather than the marshall amps. So if you want rough and rauncy, this is nice. It also has just a plain volume boost as well.

*Electro-Harmoix Big Muff Pi distortion/sustain stomp box are somewhat legendary. They have been used from Carlos Santana and Kurt Cobain. This is a nice one for more power to your electric.

Delay:

*Boss DD-6 . . . you know this one.

*Line 6 Echo Park Delay is the one I own. I like it just a slightly more than the Boss DD-6. It's also more flexible IMO. Both are great, but I just like mine. The Line 6, however, has a few different effects. There's a swell delay effect, ones that actualy have a beat with them (you have to just try it out to hear it, it's hard to explain). It has a Ducking mode so when it's repeating and you play, the volume goes down on the effects making your actual guitar sound come through better. Then it has a sweep where it's the doppler effect (this is stereo only effect). It also has a good ping pong effect (again stereo only). Then it has a switch which allows the delay to contune when you turn the effect off, or you can have it so it will stop the delay imeadiately when you hit the pedal. Then it has 3 types of delays, tape, digital, or classic analog. The tape and analog decay at a certain rate overtime like it would if it were the 70's. Also, those three have their own little effects too.

Finnaly, the Wah pedal.

Anything by Dunlop is fine . . . that's it, lol. I have a Rotovibe which does more chorus and vibrato. Dunlop's crybabys are aslo very good and well known.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000