Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Sweep Picking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Batstone Posted - 04/27/2005 : 5:39:36 PM
hey, im jsut wondering if tim can do any crazy sweeps? or is he into that? latley ive been learning the basics of sweep picking...anyone know any sites that explain it, and give examples that can expand on?
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 05/08/2005 : 11:25:45 AM
Ya all that stuff is cool, but Regi is ridiculously good and mind blowing to watch. I don't know why he's gotta go do all that stuff and put everyong else to shame, but the same goes for that whole damn band.
Arthen Posted - 05/08/2005 : 05:23:58 AM
Actually, we were discussing this in my physics class, and using teeth on a guitar produces an extremely unique sound that is practically impossible to reproduce with another object, for example a pick.

Seriously though, why do people climb Mt. Everest? Because it's there. Why do people play guitar with their teeth? Because they can. Is it necessary, probably not. Is it cool, you're damn right it is.
dan p. Posted - 05/07/2005 : 5:24:47 PM
there's a reason to have a ten string bass, if you intend to use all those strings. playing with teeth can be considered showmanship.
Zachmozach Posted - 05/06/2005 : 10:45:37 PM
So was a lot shit he did last night, but I still liked it. There is just no need to play a guitar with your teeth, a microphone and there is certainly no reason to have a 10 string bass.
dan p. Posted - 05/06/2005 : 10:24:28 PM
that's because it's unnecesary.
Zachmozach Posted - 05/06/2005 : 10:22:31 PM
BTW I saw Regi Wooten last night and he didn't sweep pick once and he can play ridiculously fast.
Batstone Posted - 05/06/2005 : 9:31:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Batstone

quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

I AM SO NOT JOKING!!!!! OMG!!! MY GIRLSH HEART BEATS GLAD EVERYTIME I HEAR THE EMOTION IN YNGWIE'S SONGS!!!!!!!

-so totally joking-

ahah.. okay then
Arthen Posted - 05/06/2005 : 4:26:08 PM
I AM SO NOT JOKING!!!!! OMG!!! MY GIRLSH HEART BEATS GLAD EVERYTIME I HEAR THE EMOTION IN YNGWIE'S SONGS!!!!!!!

-so totally joking-
dan p. Posted - 05/01/2005 : 01:50:38 AM
well i can't speak for arthen, but i wasn't joking about anything i said about him.
Batstone Posted - 04/30/2005 : 9:58:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

yngwie malmsteen sucks. i see little room for argument there. he's got nothing. he just plays fast by using sweep picking. he can't write music, that's for sure. there are already a lot of scale studies and arpeggio studies out there written by better composers, and it's all this guy writes. we don't need any more. it was barely acceptable when paganinni did it.

HE'S THE BEST EVER!!!1!!11 HIS SONG "I AM A VIKING" IS SO POETIC, YOU JUST DONT KNOW!!!!!! THERE IS SO MUCH FEELING IN HIS MUSIC!!!!

hey.. i hope that was a joke
Arthen Posted - 04/30/2005 : 5:37:18 PM
quote:

yngwie malmsteen sucks. i see little room for argument there. he's got nothing. he just plays fast by using sweep picking. he can't write music, that's for sure. there are already a lot of scale studies and arpeggio studies out there written by better composers, and it's all this guy writes. we don't need any more. it was barely acceptable when paganinni did it.

HE'S THE BEST EVER!!!1!!11 HIS SONG "I AM A VIKING" IS SO POETIC, YOU JUST DONT KNOW!!!!!! THERE IS SO MUCH FEELING IN HIS MUSIC!!!!
dan p. Posted - 04/30/2005 : 3:04:44 PM
anthony1832 Posted - 04/30/2005 : 09:52:21 AM
I have just learned of this technique from this post, and I dont think it is very impressive. I have downloaded some crazy sweepicking mp3, and videos by Yngwie Malmsteen, a metal player. When i compare his playing to someone like Tim, Van Halen, or Page, his stuff is so lame. There is so much more expression in these other players music, this sweep picking playing gets annoying real fast, very repetitive. People need to realize speed doesnt determine a good player. I would rather hear tim play Letting Go, then listen to a heavy metal sweepicker. Letting go has so much more expression, and power.
dan p. Posted - 04/30/2005 : 02:49:51 AM
if it's too fast to alternate pick, practice it more. i'd also be willing to bet that if indeed it is so fast that you can't alternate pick (and by that i mean "alternate picking the piece actually defies fundamental laws of physics or is physically impossible for the species homo sapien sapien") it probably isn't much of a piece. but that's just an assumption.
Zachmozach Posted - 04/29/2005 : 12:54:53 PM
If you're playing something so fast that it can't be alternate picked then I would probably pretty much be able to say that I think it's pretty lame. Playing expressively when you play fast is a bitch. Fast is okay but drop the tempo in half and does it still say something musically?

I agree with dan on this one that it will be a crutch because then you'll use it for everything and someone who plays fast is just that. Besides I've played for a number of years and I rarely use a pick and some of the fastest most intense shit I've seen played on a plucked instrument had nothing to do with sweep picking. In fact I had seen people doing this before, but until this thread I had no idea that's what you called it. The most badass guys I've seen play don't use it and from the looks of it they don't need it either. Like I said don't let it own you if you choose to use it.
Batstone Posted - 04/29/2005 : 11:53:45 AM
actully there are some songs that you cannot alternate pick.. im not sure of the name ofthe song but i tinhk its, Serrana Arpeggios by Jason Becker... most of his songs are just to fast to alterante pick
dan p. Posted - 04/28/2005 : 10:28:38 PM
i think the technique, to say nothing of actualy music, is detrimental because it's easy to just go "oh, i'll sweep pick this." you can't really grow as a player if you're always falling back on a crutch like that. if you can manage to to avoid that temptation, fine. but then why bother at all with it. there's nothing sweep picking can do that alternate picking can't.
Zachmozach Posted - 04/28/2005 : 8:58:43 PM
You kids and your plectra. No, but in all reality I now understand what goes through the heads of every kid I see playing to loud in guitar center using the same lick 400 times.

I definitely see how it would be useful, but it would be hard to play clean. Muting with your right can be hard when using a pick and it would be harder with speed which is where this technique would be good. If it can be done clean it could be useful for arrpegiating different chords quickly like coltrane or something.

I think it would limit you though as an improviser and as player quite a bit to become too over reliant on it. The same could be said for any technique. If this sort of thing speaks to people musically then they can do as they like, but for me playing fast memorized patterns doesn't turn me on. If you can get past the patterns and really play then it could be useful as long as it's clean.

It's like the kid that tells me Jaco was twice the bassist of Vic because he didn't have to use all the thumb up, thumb down, hammer and pluck stuff Vic does to play fast. It makes no sense it's like what the hell they are playing two different things. So some guy may sweep quite a bit and if he can do it clean great, but I'm more impressed with the guy who can fucking play and communicate and not just rip. It's a technique and it should facilitate you to play what you hear or feel not own you as a techinique and as a way of playing. Just make sure it doesn't own you as it does so many other players out there.
dan p. Posted - 04/28/2005 : 8:18:16 PM
"I'll use an E9 chord or G#m7b5 chord. It may be thought of either way."

wrong. it can't be thought of as either. an e9 chord is an e9 chord, and it's function can be different from a g#m7b5 chord, depending on tonal center.
skyline Posted - 04/28/2005 : 7:58:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 417rolyat

What exactly is sweeping, im not sure what it is you guys are discussing, could someone give a brief explanation. Im a pretty experienced acoustic player of 8 yrs. Maybe i know what it is, just not by the name "swpeeping"

thanks, tim

It's most commonly used in metal, so if you're an acoustic player it's not surprising you haven't heard of it. I had no clue what it was until my students started freaking out about it this year.

Here's an online lesson...http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/Tech2/T2_01.html

The guy int he video is such a geek!

417rolyat Posted - 04/28/2005 : 5:57:46 PM
What exactly is sweeping, im not sure what it is you guys are discussing, could someone give a brief explanation. Im a pretty experienced acoustic player of 8 yrs. Maybe i know what it is, just not by the name "swpeeping"

thanks, tim
dan p. Posted - 04/28/2005 : 2:58:45 PM
i don't like it for a lot of reasons. mainly because it's not as clean as alternate picking and it allows for less musical expression. i see people use it when it's not the intention of the composer to use it, and really, that's just a cop out. i mean, there are some situations where sweep picking might not be a terrible idea, but it seems like it's used too much as a way to weasle around hard scale passages and things that were meant to be done alternate. you could use sweep picking every time you come across a really fast line, but how does that improve you as a guitarist? suppose there's a line that doesn't lend itself to sweep picking? what will you do then?

when i hear something fast and i say "wow. that's pretty fast." and the other guy says "he's sweep picking." i automatically discount what he just did in terms of technique because there was no remarkable technique.

tim reynolds can play absurdly fast. i don't recall him ever using sweep method. that's because he doesn't need to. he's good.
Batstone Posted - 04/28/2005 : 1:39:18 PM
quote:

i hate sweeping. i never do it. i alternate pick everything. and if it's too fast, i practice it more.

why do u hate sweeping? it makes playing faster easier
skyline Posted - 04/28/2005 : 1:30:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Batstone

yeah i know what you mean.. but you have to admit it is a hard technique to master.... i was just wondering if tim can do them

I don't really think it's a question of whether or not Tim can do them. I'd have a hard time imagining him NOT able to do something like that.

I think the more appropriate question is whether or not he WANTS to...
dan p. Posted - 04/28/2005 : 1:01:39 PM
i hate sweeping. i never do it. i alternate pick everything. and if it's too fast, i practice it more.
Batstone Posted - 04/28/2005 : 10:26:41 AM
yeah i know what you mean.. but you have to admit it is a hard technique to master.... i was just wondering if tim can do them
skyline Posted - 04/27/2005 : 11:16:35 PM
ARGH!!

Sorry, this little rant isn't directed to you at all, but I just have to get it out.

All of my guitar students are big into hardcore metal and ALL they EVER talk about is playing sweeps. If you mention a guitarists name, the first thing out of their mouths..."Can he sweep!?!?!"

It makes me want to scream!!

*rant over*

My apologies Batstone...as I said...that was not in any way directed towards you

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000