Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Expression pedal with DL-4?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kevin Posted - 02/13/2005 : 6:32:16 PM
Just wondering what the possibilities are with an expression pedal hooked up to the DL-4? Could you slow down the delay time with it, sorta like Tim does every now and again? I know there was a discussion on how he does this earlier; would this achieve that effect?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 02/15/2005 : 10:46:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin

Hmm...I sorta get what you're saying. It sounds worth it for 20-30 bucks though lol. So if you had a loop going with ur pedal back, you could push the pedal forward and sorta mute the loop, and be able to play in w/ever mode is set for the pedal when it's forward? I mean, that is if you have the loop set for the back side of the pedal. If I understood you correctly, that should make sense lol...if not than that sounds pretty dumb :)

Well it depends if you mean that by looping in the loop sampler mode... then no. You wouldn't mute the loop. It basically just allows you to switch back and forth between settings. Now if you just had your delay time and repeats all the way up so it's like an infinite loop, but of short time then you could push the pedal forward and then the loop would fade out and you could play on that setting, but then it's gone. I really only find the pedal useful as a way to switch back and forth between the two preset delay settings with my hands free. Also for tweaking some notes here and there. That's about it. Let's put it this way... If it got stolen I wouldn't probably replace it.
Zack Posted - 02/15/2005 : 3:39:57 PM
It's pretty cool if u run it with a drum machine...unlike the dl4, theres alot of time to loop samples. You can program different segments (ex. verse, chorus) using a range of 26 different effects. Pretty cool if u want to do the crazy one man solo act. Even cooler for a full band to have. Theres lots of possibilities. Oh ya and theres memory cards u can save ur work with. Musiciansfriend.com knows more than i do lol.
Kevin Posted - 02/15/2005 : 1:54:53 PM
Alright...thanks for your advice :-)

I'm checking out this dr sample; is it worth the price? I mean, does it do anything useful other than just allowing you to drastically change the speed of a loop?
Zack Posted - 02/14/2005 : 4:22:18 PM
Hey, i thought id let you know the expression pedal isn't worth it...it does everything that was said, but its really not worth the $40 i beleive it sells for to be able to control the tweak and tweez of the Dl-4. The changing of speed in the tracks on N.W. like in repeat the question are performed with Tim's boss 303 dr sample i beleive...most boss looping machines let you control the speed of the loop. But back to the espression pedal that sits in my basement collecting dust because it stopped working after 2 weeks lol(cheaply made)...just save your money for worthwhile effects that will actually do cool things.
Kevin Posted - 02/14/2005 : 12:04:47 AM
Hmm...I sorta get what you're saying. It sounds worth it for 20-30 bucks though lol. So if you had a loop going with ur pedal back, you could push the pedal forward and sorta mute the loop, and be able to play in w/ever mode is set for the pedal when it's forward? I mean, that is if you have the loop set for the back side of the pedal. If I understood you correctly, that should make sense lol...if not than that sounds pretty dumb :)

Well, I've got the dd-6, and the change in speed he achieves is definitely not from one of those. I hope we're talking about the same thing lol...he does it on a couple ambient tracks on Nomadic Wavelengths...anyways, I was hoping it was easy/obvious on the dl4, because it certainly isn't done on the dd6 lol.

Thanks for you help...I appreciate ur time ;)
Zachmozach Posted - 02/13/2005 : 8:19:33 PM
I have the expression pedal and I'll tell you it's really not all that cool although it's nice to have. Basically what it allows you to do is say in loop sample mode you have your delay setting you want so you push the pedal forward and that's the setting you have. Then you change the setting to say being no delay or whatever just so long as you move a knob. Then you press the pedal down and it allows you to go back and forth between the two setting and blend them as half way down would be a blend of both and go back in between your two settings. So the if you are in the other modes or have your own delay settings saved then you can also basically do the same thing and switch between two different setting with the pedal. It's useful to me because I use it for crazy infinite loops on top of other loops and such but it's not as cool as you think. It can create some cool noises though if you play a note and at the same time push it down going from no delay to delay eepecially if the the tweak is adjusted right.

Now I think what Tim uses is the Boss DD-6 to slow down or speed up his loops. The DL-4 allows you to do this, but it's only for the short loops like if you turn your delay time and repeat knobs all the way up and then play what you want then you can move the delay time knob down to slow it down and you can achieve some pretty cool stuff. Like I can make it sound like a car or a tractor with the acoustic. Hope that helps.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000