Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Slowing the delay?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kevin Posted - 12/16/2004 : 1:33:08 PM
I've heard Tim slow what he has playing back a lot, and for the life of me I can't do it with my DD-6. I've tried it in Warp, Reverse, and all of the standard set delays, but I can never change tempo as smooth or as much as he does. Any ideas as to his technique?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 12/18/2004 : 11:26:21 PM
Unfortunately, the DD-6 F's the delay all up instead of changing the tempo. It blows.
Joe Posted - 12/18/2004 : 8:19:38 PM
I think what Kevin is talking about is actually with the dd-5 (this is the pedal I own). He slows the delay (something I've heard him do when playing with Dave Matthews on Wharehouse) in reverse mode. Set the delay time to the min and play something, then quicky crank it to max and whatever you played will drop an octave and slow down to half the speed. Fun times. I imagine you can also do this with the dd-6 but I can only speculate because I dont own that pedal. Anyway, hope this helps...

Hasta luego
Joe
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 12/18/2004 : 11:46:38 AM
He usually uses the DL-4 when he plays over a looped sample for a while, like the Jemez Rolling Waves from 10/10/01 and he uses his boss delays for quick loop stuff, like the 5/5/00 Stream, and when he's uses his volume pedal for those violin-like swells.
sciphish Posted - 12/17/2004 : 7:06:16 PM
Actually i believe if you set your dl-4 to rythmic delay you can change the tempo. It takes a little trial-n-error, but its possible. However i havent gotten anywhere near what Tim does. IT could be he has more practice at it, just a better musician, using the effect in tandem with others, etc. These are all just brainstorming ideas and i think the truth is in all of them. I do know its easier to make music when it comes from you, rather then trying to duplicate something(imo). So i guess keep trying, its a cool effect for sure. One thing i was wondering which may be obvious, but is it possible that he uses both delays for certain things?
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 12/17/2004 : 08:18:58 AM
The DD-6 is a true digital delay so when you tweak the delay time, it gets all spaced out. He slows his tempo with his DD-5 which is now out of print. I know this because I have been trying to get one reasonably off Ebay for weeks now. The DL-4 has a 1/2 or double time function, but you can't adjust the delay tempo with the knob like the DD-5.
Kevin Posted - 12/16/2004 : 10:15:43 PM
Hmm...I know what you mean by just turning the delay time knob and getting goofy results.

So Tim doesn't do this on the DD-6, rather on the DL-4? THAT would explain it lol. Thanks a lot man
sciphish Posted - 12/16/2004 : 3:30:43 PM
Im not exactly sure but on the dl-4 i have( which i believe Tim has also) you can change the delay time and how many repeats. I think you get the effect by changing both knobs, because moving the delay time knob by itself makes some goofy and messed up sounds. Hope this helps.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000