Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 10-20-00: Jemez Rolling Waves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kevin Posted - 12/06/2004 : 1:21:40 PM
Hey I was listening to Tim playing this song, and for like 3 minutes he does this like technique where he tremelo picks like a piano tone note, while also arpeggiating chords. It was the coolest thing I've ever heard, but I was wondering if anyone could give suggestions on how to build this skill?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kevin Posted - 12/08/2004 : 3:20:33 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all the help! You guys really rock; I'm definitely going to be working on this for a while, though
Joe Posted - 12/07/2004 : 3:39:15 PM
The technique you are reffering to actually is called just that...tremolo. There are two types; classical (P A M I) and flamenco. Tim uses flamenco tremolo. Its it done by hitting all the bass notes with the thumb while the I M A "tremolo" on a higher string. In other words, P I A M I, repeat. The way to practice this is by beginning with all all fingers picking the same note. It takes some time, and as always the key is starting slow. It also REALLY helps to learn this on a classical or flamenco guitar (any guitar with nylon strings) first, and then adapt it to the acoustic steel string (like Tim). Hope this help, feel free to ask any questions if I wasn't specific enough.

Hasta luego,
Joe
Arthen Posted - 12/06/2004 : 3:50:54 PM
Well, I went and dug out this old, old thread from 2001. Jamie so graciously tabbed out that very technique you are talking about Kevin. Get a version of Los Alamos, listen to it, and then practice this.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4
Arthen Posted - 12/06/2004 : 3:47:25 PM
He does that on Los Alamos is Burning, which is simply amazing. It's also one of my favorite songs.
Kevin Posted - 12/06/2004 : 3:44:31 PM
Hmm...I've seen Bela do similar things, but I've never heard the specific song you're talking about. Are you sure it would be alternations between the index and middle, and not index, middle, and ring? I just want to make sure before I start working on it Thanks a lot Zach
Zachmozach Posted - 12/06/2004 : 1:48:08 PM
Ever listen to Bela Fleck play Spain? It's usually a quick alternation between the index and middle finger while the thumb does his thing. Speed comes with this like it does on anything else. Start slow and build from there keeping a musical outcome in mind. Try to keep it even when it's slow and as you slowly build speed. It's just getting the coordination. I can't think of the version you are talking about off the top of my head so I don't know what else I can say, but it's just practicing doing what it is.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000