Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 12-string restringing question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalin Posted - 10/25/2004 : 10:03:05 PM
So I usually take my 12-string in to be restrung becuase it's a pain the arse to do, but I was thinking about doing something different myself this time and I was wondering if anyone had tried this or could foresee any problems with it. (I actually keep it tuned a full step down, but let's ignore that for now). Standard strining/tuning is eE aA dD gG bb ee. Because I use my fingers most of the time now and I am a chronic nail biter, I was actually thinking about stringing it E- Aa Dd Gg bb ee, so I could hit the thinner strings with my fingers easier. I also like to do drop D and I've never been a big fan of the eE (or dD) sound, so I thought about dropping that high string all together, making it an 11-stringer. Anyone ever tried this or see any problems (either sound-wise or structurally to the guitar) that this could cause?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jay Posted - 10/27/2004 : 6:04:12 PM
There shouldn't be any problems. If you're tuning down, though, I would recomened a slightly heavier set. I tune down to C# and use the equivalent of Light Gauge strings, 54-12. You can find sets with a .50 or .53 on the bottom, I think Ernie Ball makes a really nice set. It shouldn't cause much of a problem if you're tuning down a step, there will be extra tension but not so much that it would fuck up the neck. Now, if you used the Kottke set, which is 56-13, you'd have a problem. But as for taking off the octave E, no biggy there. I personally love the extra octave down there, it really makes a big difference at times, especially if your 12 has a powerful bottom end. I'm a definate proponent for slightly heavier strings, it will stay in tune much better and have a richer tone, that's why I use 13's on my 6 and 12's on my...12...14's on my down-tuned 6, and 13 flatwound on my electric. Good luck in the happy world of 12 strings!
dan p. Posted - 10/26/2004 : 11:14:37 PM
12 strings are just a bitch to tune.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/26/2004 : 10:07:20 AM
Dropping the small e string from the bottom and just having it with the low E wouldn't cause a huge problem with the guitar as far as I can see. Something like dropping all the standard strings and leaving the higher octave strings could cause the neck to warp, etc... just because the guitar is designed for 12 strings to have tension over the neck, and if you start taking strings out of the equation, you're bound to have problems, but just dropping one string shouldn't cause that.

Switching the thinner and thicker strings around may cause a problem. At the nut, the area that the string slides through may be too thin for the thicker strings, and that would make the strings sit on top of the nut, which can cause intonation problems and problems with sustain.

Soundwise, switching the strings around would probably be very similar, if not the same to a standard strung 12, and the same goes for dropping the thin e string from the bottom. You'll notice the octave being gone, but a casual listener would not.

Adam

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000