Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Transition from Finger Picking to Picking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JTR Posted - 10/11/2004 : 03:21:55 AM
Anyone else kind of stuck on how to go from finger picking to using a pick smoothly? I typically find myself with my pick in my mouth, but TR's way is awesome. I may be wrong, but he appears to go from fingerpicking to picking by clenching his pick in the palm of his hand as one might hold a coin for a magic trick. If that is indeed what he's doing, it's quite amazing. Anybody ever tried that? I find it somewhat awkward.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Posted - 10/14/2004 : 1:03:10 PM
The fingers are named as they are because originally the names are in spanish. Ha...I believe originally... Thats how I learned them.

P=thumb= Pulgar
I=index= Indice
M=middle= medio
A=ring= anular

There it is. Keep rockin

hasta luego
joe
Zachmozach Posted - 10/12/2004 : 11:17:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Another top flatpicker: Tony Rice.

Ya he can tear it up.
Arthen Posted - 10/12/2004 : 3:37:48 PM
Another top flatpicker: Tony Rice.
Zachmozach Posted - 10/12/2004 : 1:10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

theres a reason to use both, just try doing some gyspy swing melodies without a pick.

and usually electric sounds a lot better witha pick, but again depends on what you are playing.

thats my opinion...

but you can't beat bluegrass fingerpicking.

I think fingers make the guitar sound a lot warmer but that's because the electric I play is all pretty much jazz. And I actually like flat pickers for blugrass. The guy from Psychograss is pretty good.

All in all it doesn't really matter what you use as long as it doesn't limit your style. Also I was going to say that pick holders aren't bad and with fenders you can shelf the pick between the pick gaurd. As for really quick changing you just have to palm the things but I just don't play much with a pick except for with the mandolin.
rubylith Posted - 10/12/2004 : 1:02:14 PM
yea, i use my pointer and thumb for my pick and my other three fingers kind of hang off and don;t touch anything. WHen I switch to finger pick mode, I learned the "wrong" way and mostly use my thumb, pointer, and middle finger and I use the index, pinky, and palm to hold the pick. Sometimes it ends up in my mouth and to think of it, thats pretty sick.

good thing I always use new picks

the green dunlops, can;t beat them!
heh
dan p. Posted - 10/12/2004 : 12:26:15 PM
you don't really need a pick for anything. you can everything you need to do with your fingers. but sometimes i indulge myself. in that case, hybrid picking is a way to go. using pick and fingers at once. a perfect example is "and nothing else matters" which i believe guitar guy brought up.
rubylith Posted - 10/12/2004 : 09:10:38 AM
theres a reason to use both, just try doing some gyspy swing melodies without a pick.

and usually electric sounds a lot better witha pick, but again depends on what you are playing.

thats my opinion...

but you can't beat bluegrass fingerpicking.
Arthen Posted - 10/12/2004 : 03:12:34 AM
It depends on the style. A lot of brilliant guitarists (what board is this again?) use pics.
JTR Posted - 10/12/2004 : 03:08:18 AM
I'm PIMA 90% of the time, but it's getting back and forth to that damn 10% that's got me stuck. Mostly, I want to be able to pick and then be able to use my thumb for some slapping. Practice, practice, practice. On a side note, I never understood how P was thumb and A was ring finger, unless it's got some Latiny thing going.
Arthen Posted - 10/11/2004 : 10:22:09 PM
I thought they used canaries...
Zachmozach Posted - 10/11/2004 : 9:28:20 PM
Picks are for miners. PIMA
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/11/2004 : 10:51:42 AM
I hold the pick in the palm of my hand as well. When I play Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, I start out with fingers, and then play the verse with a pick. While playing with fingers, I just hold the pick in the palm of my hand, and then just kind of make a fist quick and grab it when it's time to pick.

Adam
Arthen Posted - 10/11/2004 : 03:34:22 AM
I use my mouth. I just have to make sure I don't get it too wet with saliva.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000