Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Harmonic Minor Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/07/2004 : 7:53:43 PM
This question is aimed at anyone who's got extensive knowledge in theory. I know that certain chords fit inside a certain key in the major and minor keys (ex. in key of C major, C, Em, F, G, etc. etc.). But in the harmonic minor scale, im pretty much totally lost. I can rip the scale up and down in many locations, but when it comes to chord melody improv, i have no idea what chords fit in, what interesting combos i can use, etc etc. Any chord theory in the harmonic minor keys would be of huge help to me, thanks.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dan p. Posted - 09/26/2004 : 8:29:11 PM
ah.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/26/2004 : 5:19:10 PM
extensive was the wrong word for me to use. But it definitely got me going in the learning process
dan p. Posted - 09/26/2004 : 12:58:11 AM
but i think saying that you attributed extensive theory (of any sort) because you learned a lot of howie day was more than a little strange.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/25/2004 : 8:43:38 PM
oh howie's songs are all very basic and major chord-ish...so figuring out the key was a matter look just looking at chords and determining what key they fit all in...so that kinda got me started on all of this theory on chords and how they all fit into scales and the like. Thanks for all the help
rubylith Posted - 09/24/2004 : 08:52:48 AM
dan you have great posts
i love your sinasism
hah

lots of guitar knowledge too, nice work on this thread it probably helped a lot of people out because of the intense detail of the description.
dan p. Posted - 09/23/2004 : 9:15:08 PM
um. . .dabbling in major and minor keys is good, because that's really the only two types of keys there are (harmonic minor is a scale, not a key.) if you're not dabbling in major or minor, you're writing atonal music, and that's a whole other thing. i fail to see what howie day has to do with anything.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/13/2004 : 1:40:21 PM
ive got extensive theory background on the major and minor keys, because mainly ive dabbled with things in those keys, especially back in the day when i learned alot of howie day. But i just couldnt figure where the harmonic minor keys fit into all of it...
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 09/11/2004 : 10:45:50 PM
I try not to mistake words for the meaning
dan p. Posted - 09/11/2004 : 3:38:33 PM
not really. i spelled "defy" wrong.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 09/11/2004 : 11:57:23 AM
well said, dan.

dan p. Posted - 09/10/2004 : 9:27:39 PM
yeah, that's good, but i've always felt to deft convention you first must follow it in order to understand it. you can't break out of the box unless you are in it.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/10/2004 : 7:43:27 PM
which is one reason im interested in it. Im trying to take a more unique approach when i write stuff, so i can kinda escape the "sameness" around all the popular and local bands.
dan p. Posted - 09/10/2004 : 2:18:43 PM
most composers i've seen avoid the augmented mediant.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 09/08/2004 : 8:42:33 PM
in a harmonic minor, just raise every 7th... and even if it just takes 5 minutes to find ever D in an Em, or to find every A in a Bm, or whatever the case may be... find all of the normal natural minor chords that use that note and raise that 7th.

You can use the normal minor I and minor IV
you use the major V and major VI
you use the diminished 7th (newly raised 7th)
you use the augmented third (instead of the major third)

there ya go.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/08/2004 : 5:11:52 PM
thanks that helps alot...i ought to get some reading material on all this advanced theory. It gets rough around the edges or me when you get into some of this stuff
dan p. Posted - 09/08/2004 : 2:29:33 PM
well b harmonic minor has the notes b, c#, d, e, f#, g, and a#. so basic chords that fit would be b minor, c# diminshed, d major (even though there's an a# in the scale. augmented III chords aren't used much.) e minor, f# major, g major and a# diminished. there's all manner of chords you can have by just adding another third onto it. for instance, a 7th added to an f# major chord would make f#, a#, c#, and e.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 09/08/2004 : 1:36:21 PM
Helped a little bit but i need more explaining as to fitting chords into the key themselves. For example, i know that F# and G both fit into B harmonic minor. Thats more where my question was aimed at.
dan p. Posted - 09/07/2004 : 9:19:09 PM
the harmonic minor scale exists for the sake of maintaining the harmonic relationship between the tonic and dominate chords in minor keys. that's why the 7th is raise a half step. it creates the same leading tone to tonic pull found in major keys.

dominate chords always want to resolve to tonic eventually because of the the dominate chord consists of the 5th, 7th, and 2nd scale degrees, 7th being the leading tone that pulls to the tonic. in natural minor there is no leading tone, so the dominate chord loses it's function. the raised 7th gives it back. your minor dominate chord becomes major again. a I-iv-v progression becomes I-iv-V. hope that helps. probably didn't.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000