Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Open Tunings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
guitarted Posted - 08/26/2004 : 2:32:42 PM
I'm intersted to learn about Open tunnings, like Open E for example

Are there big differences between each open tuning or are they allt he same pretty much?

What are they good for?

Is it difficult to pick up?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arthen Posted - 09/04/2004 : 3:37:25 PM
Thanks Jay. I have heard that Chris Thomas King (?), isn't he the guy who sang it for the film, has got some good blues stuff too.
Jay Posted - 09/04/2004 : 12:33:32 PM
I know which tab you are speaking of...You have to buy the book "8 Songs" to get the full tab, well worth it. One of my favorites, too...I also like Hear the Wind Howl which is in Open C, too.

By the way, that song in Open D minor IS Hard Time Killin' Floor BLues...Originaly by Skip James...Check that man out, he almost always used D Minor...Some really awesome and unique old blues...
guitarted Posted - 09/04/2004 : 10:24:10 AM
After opening this thread I started playing around a little.

I really like BUSTED BICYCLE by Leo Kottke and the tab i found say it was open C

CGCGCE, so I gave that a try. I couldn't figure out Busted Bicyclke for the life of me, I don't know if the tab was right.

Anyway, I dicked around in the tuning for a while anyway and had a real good time just strumming all 6 strings and using a slide on teh last two strings.

Arthen Posted - 09/04/2004 : 03:31:42 AM
Open D-Minor is amazing for great blues songs. Like the one from "O! Brother Where Art Thou?" that the guy sings around the campfire. "Hard Time Killing Blues"? Or something.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 09/04/2004 : 02:46:42 AM
some tunings that I use:

F-C-D-G-A-D

D-A-D-G-A-F

B-A-D-G-A-D

open tunings create awesome harmonic patterns.
Jay Posted - 09/01/2004 : 8:18:50 PM
Try Open C, it's one of my favorites, and don't shy away from open Minors, too...

DADFAD, EBEGBE, etc...

Here's some neat alternate open tunings you can fuck with...

BBEF#BE
BBEG#BE
EBEF#BD
EAEG#BE
EEEEBE
EABEBE (might want to capo that one)

CGEGAD
CGDGAD
CGCGCF
CGCGCD
CFCFCF (totally fucked up)
CGCGBC (good for DD-5 jams)

DGEGCD
DADGCD
DADGAE
EAC#GAE (First chord of "Try A Little Harder, one octave down)

and countless others, experiment and have fun...I've personally used all of these and have come up with some really cool shit, they're all easy to improvise with...
Arthen Posted - 08/26/2004 : 3:40:12 PM
I love different tunings. Open tunings, like D, E, and G, are used a lot for different things. A lot of blues slide guitarists will play in open tunings. Keith Richards had a massive hard on for Open G tuning. Open G is also common in a lot of bluegrass music, because the banjo is tuned to open G.

Open tunings are fun to jam around in. I spend a lot of time playing in my own weird tunings. If you want a lot of good music that is in several different tunings, check out Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar. It's one of my favorite styles.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000