Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 which one would u take?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JoeGamo05 Posted - 05/13/2004 : 10:06:59 AM
so which one would u take i'm up to the final two for looping.. the DD-5 Digital Delay(boss) or RC-20 Loop Station(boss) the loop station looks like what i need but i don't really know the difference between the delay and loop i heard it's practilly the same thing... ne help thanks!
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/17/2004 : 03:54:00 AM
I have the Dl4 and am always finding new sounds that I can create with it. The looping is more convenient than the dd5 ( which i also have) because of the length and the multi-layering feature. With the DD5, you can have only one layer which can get pretty boring.
What can the RC-20 do besides looping? I know that the stored loops are cool, but if I'm going to spend that much on a pedal, I want my guitar to be able to access a totally new sound. As far as that goes, I think that the line 6 takes the cake.
what do you all think?
rubylith Posted - 06/16/2004 : 09:25:00 AM
hey we should make a section on here for us to post our own loops...

well I guess anyone could start a topic...but maybe we can have a designated topic so that we can do that...
Zachmozach Posted - 06/15/2004 : 5:53:28 PM
Just not at the top of my list yet though. A couple more things above it.
SMurphy Posted - 06/15/2004 : 5:33:48 PM
Save up and get one! Or you can always check out ebay. I've seen a few on there. Definitely a cool pedal to store and remember what you played.
Zachmozach Posted - 06/15/2004 : 2:07:16 PM
Ah I see. I've wanted an RC-20 for a while actually soley because you can store the loops if you want to. Not to mention how you can quantize and everything else.
SMurphy Posted - 06/15/2004 : 1:20:49 PM
Yes, I know you can loop the delay on the Line-6. My response was that you cannot loop delay on the Boss Digital Delay 6.

The Line-6 is an overpriced DD-6 with more bells and whistles. It was created for Digital Delay, and has a loop feature that was thrown in. The RC-20 was specifically created with looping in mind and nothing else. RC-20 gets my vote whole heartedly. I've had mine for over a year now and it's a great pedal. Check out what a friend of mine who turned me on to the loopstation is doing:

http://www.robertmatarazzo.com

I guess it's personal preference. To each their own.
Zachmozach Posted - 06/15/2004 : 1:10:27 PM
You actually can use the Delay when you loop on the Line 6. Just so you know.
SMurphy Posted - 06/14/2004 : 9:34:40 PM
The RC-20 is a bit pricey, I'm not going to lie. But I've had a great time with it and the storage feature is so great because even if I'm not looping and just come up with a cool chord progression or riff I can store it so that I remember it.

I also found that 5 seconds of a loop really can be irritating to your audience. After a while it gets pretty lame. If you're playing with a band and want to loop something for 5.7 seconds you can't and it will throw everything off. DD-6 is limiting for loops. Also you can't loop anything with delay which sounds really really sweet. Nor can you use the volume pedal with the DD-5 because you need to hold down the DD-6 to loop.

Check out some of the loops I've made with my setup:
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track01.WMA
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track02.WMA
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track03.WMA
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track04.WMA
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track05.WMA
http://shawnmurphy.net/Track06.WMA
Macht Posted - 06/14/2004 : 8:38:40 PM
anything longer than 10 seconds (in a loop) is a big honkin' loop :P
dan p. Posted - 06/14/2004 : 8:27:04 PM
BIG HONKIN' LOOPS.
Macht Posted - 06/14/2004 : 4:16:02 PM
DD-5/6 is a pedal that you can make loops on the run. I wouldn't buy a loop station personally becuase I don't like big honkin loops, I like the 5 second things that just need to be repeated over and over again
guitarted Posted - 06/14/2004 : 3:35:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SMurphy

RC-20 Loopstation all the way! Much better then the Line 6 in my opinion... You DO NOT have to store the loops in the banks it's an OPTION so you don't forget what you created or if you want to record drum and bass into it and play over it. The pedal is made for looping unlike the DD-6 or the Line 6 which are made for delay and have a loop feature. I have both the DD-6 and Loop Sation and love them a lot. I first got the DD-6 for delay and played around with the loop feature until I got sick of the 5 second limit it had and had to upgrade. Also the loopstation doesn't have any decay meaning the first loop to create will always be present so you don't lose it in the mix after multiple loops.

If you know you want to loop go with the RC-20. You wont be disappointed.

Correct me I'm wrong here, but the RC-20 is even more expensive than the line 6 or the dd-6.
Also, I can't speak for the LINE 6 or the RC-20 when I say this, but I find the dd-6 really good at making trippy wild sounding loops.
SMurphy Posted - 06/14/2004 : 2:56:04 PM
RC-20 Loopstation all the way! Much better then the Line 6 in my opinion... You DO NOT have to store the loops in the banks it's an OPTION so you don't forget what you created or if you want to record drum and bass into it and play over it. The pedal is made for looping unlike the DD-6 or the Line 6 which are made for delay and have a loop feature. I have both the DD-6 and Loop Sation and love them a lot. I first got the DD-6 for delay and played around with the loop feature until I got sick of the 5 second limit it had and had to upgrade. Also the loopstation doesn't have any decay meaning the first loop to create will always be present so you don't lose it in the mix after multiple loops.

If you know you want to loop go with the RC-20. You wont be disappointed.
Zachmozach Posted - 06/11/2004 : 6:05:12 PM
The Line 6 is really easy to figure out after looking through the book quickly. I didn't check out my book till I had played with it for like a solid week and I learned a lot more of what I could do with it in the 5 minutes it took to read. It's pretty straightforward though.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 06/11/2004 : 4:56:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by guitarted
i found the DL$ really hard to figure out just sitting on a store dicking around

I don't know if the $ was a typo or not, but I think its funny considering the price for these things....

Adam
guitarted Posted - 06/11/2004 : 4:47:41 PM
the dd-5 is no longer around
the dd-6 is like the dd-5 with an university education

so there's no need for a dd-5 anymore

he dd5 has like 2 or so seconds of lop available
while the dd-6 can be 5.2 seconds with the HOLD function (the best function of all)

I played both the dd-6 and Line 6 DL4 and i found the DL$ really hard to figure out just sitting on a store dicking around

The dd-6 had instant gratification
Also - the dd-6 is cheaper

I now own a dd-6 and I love it, I don't regret getting it either.

That's my 2 cents
Arthen Posted - 06/08/2004 : 03:15:17 AM
Yeah, and the DD-6 is the only one that I've seen around too.
Macht Posted - 05/17/2004 : 8:24:45 PM
DD-6 is basically DD-5 with better racing stripes right?
sciphish Posted - 05/17/2004 : 8:11:24 PM
The boomerang is definately the staple, but that comes at a price. A very high price around $400-$500. If you havent tried looping before, then its a alot to drop for something that has ONLY looping. Your best bet is the line 6, but its up to you.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 05/15/2004 : 1:07:50 PM
The Boomerang Loop has 4 mins of loop I think. And it is much easier to manipulate with your feet (large footswitches as opposed to the smaller buttons and knobs on the RC-20). The Boomerang also has a roller for the output volume that can be rolled with your foot as well.

Adam
sciphish Posted - 05/13/2004 : 10:16:56 PM
I've been told that the rc-20 is about 5 1/2 mins. But you have to save in different banks( which is a bitch). So i would suggest the line 6 modeler, it's what i have and it sounds like your looking for the same thing i was. The loop is super easy and the delays rock. THeir is even a delay i havent found anywhere else that Tim used for exodus during the 4/4/03 show (very cool). BUt ultimately i suggest finding a place that lets you try it out, the guitar center near me had both. So try that.
JoeGamo05 Posted - 05/13/2004 : 4:08:33 PM
i thought it was like 5:30 mins? or was that just looping or delay? does line 6 come witht he kewl effects like a violin type sound ot ur guitar??
Arthen Posted - 05/13/2004 : 3:23:37 PM
Yeah, the line 6 is good too, but out of the original choices I'd still have to go with the DD-6.
rubylith Posted - 05/13/2004 : 3:07:06 PM
NO!!!

Line 6 delay modeler!!

hehe
28 seconds of loop time
Zachmozach Posted - 05/13/2004 : 1:19:02 PM
The RC-20 is a loop station and the DD-6 is a delay pedal. I would say that the RC-20 is going to be better for looping if you're going to do longer more complex loops especially cause you can save them. However with the DD-6 you get cool delay effects and if it works for Tim it should be good enough for you.
Arthen Posted - 05/13/2004 : 1:04:17 PM
Go with the DD-6. That's what I have and it's a lot of fun.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000