Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Tremolo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CheersDtoT Posted - 12/01/2003 : 02:54:49 AM

Umm....could somone define what tremolo is. Is it just playing really fast? Because I have heard people say that about TR. Also their is a Boss Tremolo pedal which makes stuff sound fast...I haven't posted anything here for awhile...but it's nice to be back!
Cheers
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dan p. Posted - 12/10/2003 : 2:32:14 PM
tremelo picking is, in simplest terms, where you repeat the pick attack on the same note for as long as the note is held out for. it's generally more than 4 times, because anything else and you might as well notate it 3 seperate notes.
Zachmozach Posted - 12/08/2003 : 6:32:12 PM
Vibrato-Effect obtained on a stringed or keyboard instrument by the rapid pulsation of the finger on the string or key, in wind instruments by breath, and in the voice rapid iteration of one tone.

If were talking about guitar you literally just move your fretboard arm (unless your Regi Wooten in which case you have two) back and forth as in side to side.

Here's what Christopher Parkening had to say about it
"The technique of vibrato involves wavering the pitch of a note for shading or expressive purposes. It can add great emotional intensity to a passage and is also effective in achieveing proper inotation (playing in tune). Horizontal vibrato is achieved by holding a note firmly and moving the left arm from the elbow rapidly back and forth parallel to the neck. The finger stays in place and the elbow remains stationary. This pushing and pulling motion forces the string to slide back and forth across the fret, causing the to go sharp and flat. This can also be done without the thumb touching the neck.
Vertical vibrato is achieved by bending the string up and down parralell to the fret. The movement is done solely by the finger from the second joint. This type of vibrato is often used in the first position where the horizontal motion is not as effective, but only allows for raising the note. The pitch cannot be lowered in this manner."

To sum it up tremolo is the rapid reiteration of a single tone(or playing one note really fast) where as vibrato is the actually change of tone in the note(just flat and sharp really quickly). So a tremolo effect uses the fluctuation of volume where as a vibrato effect uses the fluctuation of tone. In the voice I think it's hard to duplicate and they may sound simalar. Although Bobby Mcferrin may be able to do it quite well. Also check out Erich's post (I think) in the TR section about playing for each other. He has a good rendition of stream there. That's some vocal tremelo.
GRock Posted - 12/08/2003 : 1:50:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

TREMOLO-Rapid reiteration of a single tone, an effect produced by by motion of the bow no a stringed instrument, by a rapid alternation of tones on the piano. In the voice, a wavy fluctuating effect.

There it is straight from the musical dictionary. The effect stuff like Bustoff said is a volume thing much like the voice stuff above. Ever flip on the tremelo switch on an organ? It's essentially the same thing as the guitar effect. Anyway masturbation= good tremolo picking.

whoa! anyways... what is the difference then between Vibrato and Tremelo. i always thought that voice stuff was vibrato.
Zachmozach Posted - 12/01/2003 : 2:51:36 PM
TREMOLO-Rapid reiteration of a single tone, an effect produced by by motion of the bow no a stringed instrument, by a rapid alternation of tones on the piano. In the voice, a wavy fluctuating effect.

There it is straight from the musical dictionary. The effect stuff like Bustoff said is a volume thing much like the voice stuff above. Ever flip on the tremelo switch on an organ? It's essentially the same thing as the guitar effect. Anyway masturbation= good tremolo picking.
Bustoff Posted - 12/01/2003 : 1:36:54 PM
The tremolo effect achieved by pedals and such is different.

It's a volume effect that makes the volume level go up and down at varying speeds, controlled by the pedal. It's heard a lot on 60's era guitar music. A lot of older Fender amps have a tremolo effect built in, I think.

Another way to think of the effect is rocking a volume pedal back and forth quickly while playing.
pants_happy Posted - 12/01/2003 : 11:32:17 AM
it's not really "playing" fast in that you need not move your fingers on the fretboard. it's really just picking fast, moving the pick as fast as you can, reguardless of what notes you play on the fretboard.

[i][Tremolo Picking
The use of tremolo picking is an easy way to play fast phrases, with a minimal amount of effort. With tremolo picking you are playing the same note 3, 4 or more times in rapid succession.
For tremolo picking, the way you hold the pick and the movement that you make differs from normal picking.
When picking normally, the motion is mostly coming from your wrist.
When tremolo picking, bend your thumb a little, and make the motion come more from your arm.
The best way to think about the motion of tremolo picking is this.
Use the very tip of your pick. Don't let more that a millimeter of the pick drop below the surface of the strings.
Angle the pick a little by bending your thumb slightly. This will help the pick glide across the strings more smoothly.
The side of your thumb will gently brush against the surface of the other strings, while the pick drops just below the surface.
Tremolo picking is easiest if you play all of the notes in a phrase on the same string. That way you don't have to lift your right hand up to make the transition to another string. Of course you shouldn't always do what's easiest, but that is a good place to start.
When notated, tremolo picking uses 3 diagonal slash marks through the stem of the note.
Just repeat the note as fast as you can for the indicated duration. There is not a set number of times that you will pick the note.
Learn to play scales on a single strings, not only for use when playing tremolo picking licks, but for improvising in general./i]

by the way, good to have ya back

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000