Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 help with theory!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JoeGamo05 Posted - 11/03/2003 : 5:58:38 PM
hey all this has been bugging me sence i frist heard about theory... throught my years of playing guitar no teacher nor anyone mentioned anything about theory so i'm gonna attempt to teach myself anyone have like a guide or soemthign like that that explains what it is n such??? thanks in advance
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 11/14/2003 : 10:14:19 PM
You may consider it classical theory, but it is based on the same modal system that pretty much all western music is based on. Truthfully if you studied all of Bach's music and could understand all the theory and principals behind it you would be able to get any type of music theory. What I'm getting at is you learn the same stuff either way whether you learn from the classical perspective or from a more modern perspective such as rock or whatever. However I think you gain a better understanding of theory form the classical perspective because you study some truly genious composers and you get a music history lesson while your at it. I do feel for you on the money though. I'm surprised though that they make you do all the musical stuff and not just let you take theory.
JoeGamo05 Posted - 11/14/2003 : 9:08:15 PM
yeah my parents were edging me on to go to pebody to learn but they only teach classical music and classical theory and thats not really what i wanan learn... plus it was 690 bucks to take lessons from that place and you have to tryout n all this crap.... i'll deffitnly check out some books soon then
Zachmozach Posted - 11/13/2003 : 2:28:17 PM
I would recomend a book that didn't do theory for an exact instrument, but rather one that teaches about music theory in general. That way if you don't know how to read music you'll learn, and you will learn to become more of a musician rather than just a guitar player. Although I would check out a few from a library or something because I wouldn't spend money on something that it really doesn't take that long to learn and that you can find online for free. Two books that I've gone through would be pratctical theory which is a good place to start just going through the basics which will give you a good base and then I would recomend the Jazz Theory book by Mark Levine. If you learn everythting in that, well let's just say you'll basically be set. Also something to think about is attending a music theory class at a local community college. If you go through 2 years of that you'll have learned all you ever wanted to learn and more.
Something Nasty Posted - 11/12/2003 : 4:08:06 PM
Hey Seth I live in Auburn AL. How far away is smyrna? I'd like to jam sometime.
Seth Watters Posted - 11/11/2003 : 7:37:12 PM
For me, the best way to learn theory is from friends or people you jam with. After that, i have found one book that is truly awesome. It's called "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer. It's sort of an heirloom that my dad to me and it has been awesome. I can't believe teacher's haven't taught you theory... If you live near atlanta, I'd be glad to help you out as well.
rubylith Posted - 11/04/2003 : 09:58:32 AM
well personally I hate books. Its a bit harder, maybe try a video? I never tried it. The best way is someone showing you hands on because it does get confusing. After you learn some you just have to apply it to everything you play. Check out some guitar sites for a list of modes and keys to play with. That will eventually take you where you want to go. It takes about 2 to 3 years to get a strong understanding of theory. But of course everyone is different.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000