Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 I've hit a rock.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fraggle Posted - 10/07/2003 : 3:26:16 PM
Ok, I have been playing for about 4 or 5 years now. I consider myself really good when it comes to playing rhythm sections of a song. Basically, I can do a really good coffee shop/bar set. When it comes to theory though, I am AWFUL. I can't solo worth crap, except basic basic, staying on the same scale stuff. I would like to eventually learn some of Tim's stuff. Anyone have any tips to make me a better musician? Thanks!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 10/13/2003 : 4:38:14 PM
For me learning the all the modes and thus really learning the fretboard really helped me but that's pretty basic. For me the most important thing is being able to "speak" with my guitar. I have a Line 6 delay module so I usually practice jamming with some rhythm stuff and that's good practice. Remember to change keys. But remember to try to communicate with your instrument. Let your fingers wander and try not to think about what your playing or doing just watch them play as they link up with some subconcious part of your brain that is telling them what to do. Also just sit down and without anything in mind start playing lines. You'll be surprised what you come up with. Also try not to just play in a certain key. Just play around with the melody and add different flavors with passing tones and the like. Oh and most important don't practice! You'll do much better making music and having fun then specifically practicing. keep it up.
Peace
GRock Posted - 10/10/2003 : 10:35:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by donniedarko

If you want to be serious about music learn theory, become a musician rather than someone who plays guitar... It is well worth it in the end

that is a really good statement.
donniedarko Posted - 10/09/2003 : 01:38:57 AM
You dont need to learn the scales because certain scales sound good over certain progressions, and over certain chords... Eventually you will have to learn how to play a scale over every chord.

Please don't shy away from learning theory... It is so important that you understand music, its composition, and the theory behind the composition. Or else it is going to be hard to compose your own stuff

I ignored theory for the longest time, and finally sucke it up, put my ego aside and started learning it. Read everything you can, experiment, take lessons.

If you want to be serious about music learn theory, become a musician rather than someone who plays guitar... It is well worth it in the end
Jay Posted - 10/08/2003 : 3:40:24 PM
Yeah, but don't get TOO worried about it...just let it come with time. And play with people. Get a band together where you all just screw around...That's what my band is. We just screw around and try different things...If one of us plays something bad, we just ignore it...It's more of a "hands-on" learning thing. I know guys that spent years learning only from books...but when it came time to play something, they were lost because they were too worried about the mode and all that shit. Just find notes that fit and jam away, but do learn all the stuff Darko was saying, that's great advice. That way you can explain whatever you played. My theory is this: Learn how to play in different keys, then learn the different modes and all that shit so that, after you are done playing, you know what you did. That way you remember. It's hard to explain but once you apply it you'll understand. Good luck buddy!!
fraggle Posted - 10/08/2003 : 1:46:17 PM
Thanks! I guess what you guys have been suggesting is what I have been doing. I just need to actually learn the scales, and learn to move around the fretboard with them. Thanks!
GRock Posted - 10/08/2003 : 12:30:29 PM
i am just busting into any kind of leads. i've done plenty of fills for the last few years but no solos. i've found a lot of it is just playing notes that sound good, beending notes that don't and landing on the root 3rd or fifth when you want to take a break. now of course that is really simple. but going back and examining what you've done is where the knowledge comes in.

like that blues riff i made up. i have a loose feel in my playing and so theory is kinda hard to apply but really all that i did was play around in Am.

so yeah. in a nut shell, i just wanted to say that the previous post was right on.
donniedarko Posted - 10/07/2003 : 5:05:55 PM
I can understand where you are coming from... I alays played lead guitar and never practiced playing chords, so i have to work extra hard at playing chords now... But i can play lead awesome, and i know my theory, so all i have to do is practice playing chords.

Anyways to get back on the subject at hand, if you wanna learn lead, here is what i recommend... Read all three volumes of fretboard logic and get "breaking the sound barrier with scales and numerical theory... Thats where i learned my base of theory from.

To solo you need to know the scales and everything about modes.

Start by learning the 7 modes of the major scale(Ionian, Dorian, Phyrigian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian) and their fingerings

These will give you a good base... B/C they will allow you to play anywhere on the fretboard as all othe scales do.

For example, if you are in the key of C major, you play the ionian mode from the 8th fret... All the other modes fall in to place: Dorian is a whole step up from ionian, phyrgian is another whole step up from phrygian. Aeolian is 3 half steps down from ionian. etc

And you an move those same patterns up and down the fretboard according to the key you are playing.

So learn those modes and their fingerings... Then head for the pentatonic scales which have 5 notes instead of 7 like the diatonic scales... But you will find the missing notes of the pentatonics are found in the diatonics.

I probably just confused you, so if you wanna learn the theory behind soloing, get those books i suggested. If you think those modes are too much over your head start with the pentatonics b/c they are the easiest to resolve.

Also its easy to figure out the scale fingerings for pentatonics b/c it is just the 1 b3 4 5 b7 of the minor scale

so for the key of A minor, the notes are A C D E G... So just map out where those are on the fretboard an those are the notes you can play... Its much easier when you get the book and can think of them as scale positions...

Anyway just go get those books and you'll be set
fraggle Posted - 10/07/2003 : 4:04:28 PM
Thanks for the reply man! I am not looking to impress anyone, I just want to sound good when it comes time to solo. I would really like to join a band, and being able to solo once in a while would really help :)
Jay Posted - 10/07/2003 : 3:56:27 PM
Sounds like me...I have the same problem with soloing. Basically, my advice is to learn just a few very basic theory things...Like a few scale variation things and shit like that...Then get a cheap four track, record a rhythm...then practice soloing over that...Eventually you'll get it...I've improved over 100% on my soloing skills just by fuckin' doing it! Just experiment, then once you're comfortable with what you're doing, learn some of the theory behind it. Kelly Joe Phelps said that you learn all aspects of music just by playing it...Then you use theory knowledge to explain what you just did. So when you're playing, don't think "OK, I can use the G scale with this, an' I'll throw in this......" just fuckin do it...If it sounds like shit, don't worry, cause now you know not to do that. It's all learning by experience. You've been playing for long enough, so just take it and fly, man. My advice is to take it slow, like learn one thing (something like a weird G scale...like mixlidian or whatever the fuck it's called) and apply that to some music. Eventually it'll all fit together and you'll be there before you know it, trust me. I don't know ANY theory whatsoever, but I can hold my own when it comes to solos. That's because I just let it flow and I don't worry about what I'm playing. As long as it fits, it's fine. I don't try to impress people...I just play what's in my mind and coming out of my fingers. Eventually, after a while, I'll be able to play faster and have way more emotion and actually be able to explain what I played.

God damn I ramble.
fraggle Posted - 10/07/2003 : 3:34:34 PM
Also, when I do solo, using a specific pattern, I don't know how to move that pattern up and down the neck. So I play just on the 3rd fret and never move. I suck.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000