Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 percussion info needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joojoo Posted - 06/25/2003 : 12:38:18 AM
Hey everyone.

the story goes like this: I am putting together a small collection of songs (simple fingerpicking stuff) that i'm writing this summer. something to keep me busy, you know? Anyway, the plan is to write them all, record them on my computer, burn a few with their own jewel cases and nice cover art done by me, and pass 'em out once the next school year starts. I go to a small boarding highschool with an equally small music scene, so it's not all that crowded of a market to bust into. maybe perform some of these songs at open mic nites and stuff, who knows...?

anyway, the guitar pieces are coming along fine, as are lyrics, but i'm struck by this interest in percussion all of a sudden. in a live situation, it'd be cool to use a delay to loop some type of bongo rhythm or something, then play a song. then there's jam type possibilities... my imagination takes this stuff and runs with it.

however, I know next to nothing about hand percussion, or any percussion for that matter. would bongos be suitable for this type of use? maybe it would sound weird next to a percussive fingerstyle guitar part, I dunno. what kinda drums should i get, if any? where can i learn how to play them and write some neato rhythms for these songs?

answers to these questions or comments about what i'm doing in general would be much appreciated.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubylith Posted - 06/25/2003 : 12:36:00 PM
im a big fan of straight rythm, like a pounding stimping bass drum or jimbe (however you spell it) I actually did the same thing you are doing last summer. I recorded a 13 track cd using pro tools on a mac G4, check it out you can download the whole thing at my site http://www.davecahill.com after that i did a new cd this year and now i have them duplicated with artwork and packaging. Im sure after you do yours you will grow just like I did. Im not a huge fan of digitized rythm and percussion, i dont think anythign can sound as good or as real as the real thing. Buy a nice big jimbe though for a low tone, and hey, what about a drummer? you could also bring your studio to the drummers, or vise versa. ahhh tecnology, aint it grand.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/25/2003 : 10:53:11 AM
mroe versatile than a common bongo, you can get a few different sounds out of them...
j Posted - 06/25/2003 : 10:36:13 AM
Djembes are alright, but I wouldn't call them versatile. Although there are some various techniques when playing one, they will basically sound the same, especially on recordings. They do, however, serve the purpose in which they are intended.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/25/2003 : 06:27:38 AM
a good djembe(sp??) is all you need, i would think. very versatile hand drum, maybe someone else will figure out the correct spelling of it tho.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000