Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Martin vs. Taylor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CPPJames Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:26:53 AM
I asked Tim outside a show if he had every played Taylor and I think he said that he never had...or didn't remember if he had. He seems pretty stuck on the Martin brand. I'm in the market to finally invest a serious amount of cash for a solid acoustic, and I'm just looking for some advice I guess. Anyone have an opinion?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/26/2003 : 02:28:09 AM
I've played a range of both Martin and Taylors. From the lowest priced of each to the most expensive. High end Taylors kick ass, but their lower end stuff (still a whopping 1000+) doesn't sound as good compared to the higher end models. Martin on the other hand, with the D15 (which I own), DM, and X Series, have captured their signature tone in a cheaper package. yes, some people look down upon Martin for using laminiate, etc... in the X series and lower end guitars, but the TONE is there, which is all I give a shit about.

BTW, check out Crafter, Lowden, and the already mentioned Larrivee. Higher end Takamines are VERY good guitars too, the GB7 and LTD 2003 kick my ass.

Lowden is actually my favorite guitar manufacturer. Excellent instruments, great TONE, and you can beat the shit out of them, and they LOVE it. Same goes for Martins though.

Adam
CPPJames Posted - 04/25/2003 : 8:43:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheersDtoT

I have tried out the taylor 716 ( what Dave plays ) and it's a pretty good guitar.

I assume you mean the 714. I love that guitar. Playing that makes me dread leaving the guitar store. They've had a number of them in there and they all play incredibly. I love Taylor products. I think I'm such a big fan of their fretboards that I may end up going that route. Thanks for all of the advice, folks.
Jay Posted - 04/25/2003 : 6:26:31 PM
i don't own either one...But I am a Martin man. Just because I like bassier acoustics...I do like Taylor 12's better than Martins, though...
CheersDtoT Posted - 04/25/2003 : 5:46:51 PM

I have played many martins and many taylors. I have tried out the taylor 716 ( what Dave plays ) and it's a pretty good guitar. If you are looking for good but inexspensive try the taylor 500 series or 600 series. But I am a Martin man myself. I own a Martin DM, DXM, D-35 ... and I think they are way better then Taylors !! But it's up to you what kind of guitar you want ! Cheers
Arthen Posted - 04/25/2003 : 03:39:27 AM
Thanks! I'll be sure to drop ya an email.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/25/2003 : 02:59:12 AM
I certainly don't mind sharing, but I'd probably rather do that privately. Just shoot me an email if you would and I'll be happy to give you as much information as you want on prices, models etc. I played them all so I remember pretty well all the strengths and weaknesses of all the lines and models. You can reach me at the address in my profile. :)
Arthen Posted - 04/25/2003 : 02:43:45 AM
Silky, I am green with envy that you have a Taylor 814-ce! If you don't mind my asking, and if you don't want to answer that's cool, about how much did it set you back? I'm currently saving for a Taylor, and I still haven't decided on a model.
CPPJames Posted - 04/25/2003 : 02:02:31 AM
LOL, amen. I was looking at the X14 models (6, 7 and 814) and they're very cool looking and extremely pleasant sounding. I love the treble on the taylors.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:29:30 PM
It's totally personal preference. If you're looking at something like a Martin D-28 or D-35, you'll probably notice that they are a little bassier sounding guitars than most Taylors. Taylors will typically sound cleaner or brighter while Martins tend to sound a little classic and rich. Both sound amazing.

I had the same dillema, and ended up a Taylor 814-ce. I love the richness and boominess of the Martin dreadnought, but a grand auditorium Taylor with fresh strings is still bliss for me. You can hear each individual note ring and the treble response is just beyond that of what I've heard from Martin. Fresh strings are the key though, so make sure you have the strings replaced with fresh ones if the store models don't sound bright when you are testing them out. It's the least they can do for you if you are spending $1000+ on a guitar. It's also nice that you can get electronics standard in Taylors.

Plus, Taylors just look so pretty. :)
Arthen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:06:23 PM
I may be alone, but I prefer Taylors myself. The action feels a lot more smoother, to me, than that of a Martin.

But if I couldn't get a Taylor, Martin would be my second choice.

Anyone a fan of Guild guitars?
j Posted - 04/24/2003 : 7:21:18 PM
I personally am in love with Larrivee guitars. Before I had ever played one, I was always torn between taylor and martin. To me, taylor makes guitars more suited to sound good in a live setting while martin makes good recording guitars. Larrivee guitars sound really good in any situation. I would definitely check them out if you have the chance.

here's their website:
www.larrivee.com
hukkanen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 11:50:23 AM
From my limited amount of experience, I like the Martins.
CPPJames Posted - 04/24/2003 : 11:29:50 AM
I actually have a Yamaha that I got for a very reasonable price that plays really well. I love the guitar, I got the action really low and it's very playable. The sound quality is solid, but it's not superb. I'm really looking for that one acoustic guitar that will solve all of my woes.
hukkanen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 11:28:25 AM
But, I've played Martins and Taylors before. I own a Martin. I like Martins better.
hukkanen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 11:25:56 AM
I guess I won't be the first person to pass on this advice, but...

Play a bunch of guitars and buy the one that feels right to you, be it Martin, Taylor, or Yamaha. Yamaha?!? That's what I thought, too. I recently bought a 12 string. After looking at my checkbook and my wife, I couldn't afford to just buy the D12-28 or the Taylor (model slips mind, made of Hawaiian wood). So I tried guitars in the lower price range...DM-12/DX-12. I was in downtown Seattle and came across this shop. I played this Yamaha, fell in love with it, and bought. Boy, that is really mushy for a guitar story. Anyways, buy what meets your requirements.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000